1. Joined
    29 Jul '01
    Moves
    24 Feb '08 04:04
    Originally posted by shavixmir
    This is basically a starter question for a debate I'm going to start in a week or so's time. I just need some information, especially from religious branch of RHP.

Do you literally believe man was made from mud?
    Do you literally believe Eve was made from one of his ribs?
    Do you literally believe the biblical garden of Eden existed, apple and all?
    No. Ja. Ja.
  2. Joined
    01 Feb '06
    Moves
    24 Feb '08 08:27
    Originally posted by josephw
    [ A literal interpretation is the safest way to understand the Bible.
    The best way to even begin to understand the Bible is to at least pretend to assume that the author is God and simply take Him at His word.[/b]
    LEVITICUS 15:19 And if a woman have an issue, and her issue in her flesh be blood, she shall be put apart seven days: and whosoever toucheth her shall be unclean until the even.

So, when your wife is having her period i assume you don't touch her following the strict guidelines in the Bible?
  3. Subscriberjosephw
    Owner
    Scoffer Mocker
    Moves
    24 Feb '08 19:26
    Originally posted by PawnChop
    LEVITICUS 15:19 And if a woman have an issue, and her issue in her flesh be blood, she shall be put apart seven days: and whosoever toucheth her shall be unclean until the even.

So, when your wife is having her period i assume you don't touch her following the strict guidelines in the Bible?
    What does that have to do with the topic of this thread?
    Go back and reread this thread, and try to pay attention to what is being said so that you can reply to it coherently.
  4. Standard memberagryson
    AGW Hitman
    http://xkcd.com/386/
    Moves
    24 Feb '08 19:36
    What does that have to do with the topic of this thread?
    Go back and reread this thread, and try to pay attention to what is being said so that you can reply to it coherently.
    Quite clear really, one pontificates from on high about literal readings of the bible, the other points to a section no sane person would pay attention to to ensure that the person proposing a literal interpretation is at least practicing what they're preaching.
    Just because you don't like the point doesn't mean you can make it go away by calling it irrelevant.
  5. Subscriberjosephw
    Owner
    Scoffer Mocker
    Moves
    24 Feb '08 19:38
    Originally posted by Mexico
    It is documented quite clearly that the bible has been written by men and furthermore The OT is a translation from an obscure language, and the English (if English is your primary language?) version you studied is a translation of an interpretation of a book which has been edited, changed and generally fiddled with by various churches along the way.

So my question for you is this? which version of gods exact words do you take literally?
    It is quite clear, to me at least, that you don't know what you're talking about. Whether you chose to believe that the Word of God, the Bible, was written by men inspired by God to write what He, God, wanted said, is entirely up to you. No amount of tampering with the Word of God by man is going to change anything God wills to be done. Whether you want to believe that or not is your business.

But to answer your question. I believe the KJV is without error and can be relied upon without exception. And I could care less what anyone thinks about it.
  6. Subscriberjosephw
    Owner
    Scoffer Mocker
    Moves
    24 Feb '08 19:40
    irrOriginally posted by agryson
    Quite clear really, one pontificates from on high about literal readings of the bible, the other points to a section no sane person would pay attention to to ensure that the person proposing a literal interpretation is at least practicing what they're preaching.
    Just because you don't like the point doesn't mean you can make it go away by calling it irrelevant.
    Go away, you're irrelevant! 😀
  7. Standard memberagryson
    AGW Hitman
    Moves
    24 Feb '08 19:56
    ...I believe the KJV is without error and can be relied upon without exception...
    What about the KJV including justifications for the use of slaves, whereas later revisionist copies replace this word with servant? Would you be in agreement with the KJV implicitly condoning slavery? Or would you go with the revisionist version which implicitly sees servants as property. (a fine line, and still implicitly slavery).
  8. Standard memberagryson
    AGW Hitman
    Moves
    24 Feb '08 19:58
    Go away, you're irrelevant! 😀
    Hah, depends on whether you're open to having your mind changed. 😉
  9. Subscriberjosephw
    Owner
    Scoffer Mocker
    Moves
    24 Feb '08 21:35
    Originally posted by agryson
    Hah, depends on whether you're open to having your mind changed. 😉
    I've already had a change of mind.

1Co 2:16 For who hath known the mind of the Lord, that he may instruct him? But we have the mind of Christ.
  10. Subscriberjosephw
    Owner
    Scoffer Mocker
    Moves
    24 Feb '08 21:38
    Originally posted by agryson
    What about the KJV including justifications for the use of slaves, whereas later revisionist copies replace this word with servant? Would you be in agreement with the KJV implicitly condoning slavery? Or would you go with the revisionist version which implicitly sees servants as property. (a fine line, and still implicitly slavery).
    The Bible does not condone slavery. This is just another example of misinterpretation.
  11. Standard memberMexico
    Quis custodiet
    ipsos custodes?
    Moves
    24 Feb '08 21:48
    It is quite clear, to me at least, that you don't know what you're talking about. Whether you chose to believe that the Word of God, the Bible, was written by men inspired by God to write what He, God, wanted said, is entirely up to you. No amount of tampering with the Word of God by man is going to change anything God wills to be done. Whether you want to b ...[text shortened]... r and can be relied upon without exception. And I could care less what anyone thinks about it.
    Always with the aggressive responses.....

Is it not true that the bible was written by men?

Is it not true that the OT of the bible Is a translation form an obscure language, which is easy to misinterpret?

Is it not true that the KJV and all other versions of the bible, as well as different interpretations of the same version are condoned by different churches, who have since it was written made subtle edits and changes?

So how exactly is it that I don't know what Im talking about?
  12. Subscriberjosephw
    Owner
    Scoffer Mocker
    Moves
    24 Feb '08 22:01
    Originally posted by Mexico
    Always with the aggressive responses.....

Is it not true that the bible was written by men?

Is it not true that the OT of the bible Is a translation form an obscure language, which is easy to misinterpret?

Is it not true that the KJV and all other versions of the bible, as well as different interpretations of the same version are condoned by differen ...[text shortened]... made subtle edits and changes?

So how exactly is it that I don't know what Im talking about?
    "Always with the aggressive responses....." and yours aren't?

"Is it not true that the bible was written by men?" Men inspired by God.

"Is it not true that the OT of the bible Is a translation form an obscure language, which is easy to misinterpret?" Hebrew is obscure? Everything is easy to misinterpret!

"Is it not true that the KJV and all other versions of the bible, as well as different interpretations of the same version are condoned by different churches, who have since it was written made subtle edits and changes?" This is partly true, but unless you really know for sure where it all comes from it is impossible to know for sure if you are reading the Word of God or not.

"So how exactly is it that I don't know what I'm talking about?" Ask yourself this question. Would I know God's Word if I heard it or not? If so, why? If not, why?
  13. Standard memberagryson
    AGW Hitman
    Moves
    24 Feb '08 22:18
    The Bible does not condone slavery. This is just another example of misinterpretation.
    I said implicitly, also there's a few hundred years of people who were seen as justly interpreting the bible to say just that, and that was the KJV. What has changed in the interpretation?
    Furthermore, if the bible requires so much revisionist interpretation, how can we be sure we know the mind of Jesus as in your other quote? Basicly, "this is just another example" of arbitrary revisionism to suit the purposes of the day in adapting to the moral zeitgeist, making the bible as a moral work utterly useless.

This is the first and last quote from the bible I will ever post (I try to avoid using fariy tales to back up an argument)
    Exodus 21:20-21
    "And if a man smite his servant, or his maid, with a rod, and he die under his hand; he shall be severely punished. Notwithstanding, if he continue a day or two, he shall not be punished: for he is his money."

Now if the servant was an employee, please give the correct interpretation of "he is his money" in this case please.

Bear in mind, that a work that requires so much interpretation and contextual analysis cannot be justly claimed to be a flawless transcript of gods word. The uncertainty inherent in interpreting it leads to sources of error, which should be a grave cause of concern for anyone basing their morality on it.
  14. Standard memberMexico
    Quis custodiet
    ipsos custodes?
    Moves
    24 Feb '08 22:26
    "Always with the aggressive responses....." and yours aren't?

"Is it not true that the bible was written by men?" Men inspired by God.

"Is it not true that the OT of the bible Is a translation form an obscure language, which is easy to misinterpret?" Hebrew is obscure? Everything is easy to misinterpret!

"Is it not true that the KJV and all othe ...[text shortened]... s question. Would I know God's Word if I heard it or not? If so, why? If not, why?
    There's no aggression in my responses... Simply questions, I only really get aggressive in response.... I honestly wanted to know which version of the bible you take literally and to know what you logic for choosing that version was given the circumstances of its writing and the amount of ears the story has been passed through....

"Men inspired by God". So its said, if I wrote a book today that was inspirational and a wonderful tale. Then said it was inspired by god, would you believe me?

No Hebrew isn't obscure, but its damn hard to translate, most words have multiple meanings depending on context...

"Everything is easy to misinterpret"... You make my point for me, your taking a book which is an interpretation literally.....

"Ask yourself this question. Would I know God's Word if I heard it or not? If so, why? If not, why?"
    You see this is where logic and reasonable argument hit a wall. Just because you think its god's word and it makes sense to you. Doesn't make it gods word. A lot of Muslims believe the Quoran (spelling??) is the word of god. They contradict your word of god in places. Thus you can't both be right, but neither will admit they're wrong so logic fails to apply.
    Personally I don't believe in a God, it doesn't make any sense to me. To me your god doesn't exist, therefore how could you know or not know his word... I've read the bible (KJV I believe), and various other religious texts, studying religions in general was part of my schooling until I was 17. Although it was thought by a Christian Chaplin it was still reasonably unbiased. None of them seemed like particularly divine words. So as you can see what seems like god's words to you, aren't god's words to everyone. And surely if these we're divine words we'd all clearly see them as such? No?, if God is selective about who he wants to see his words, and bases his judgment of those people on whether or not they see these words doesn't that make him/her slightly sadistic?
  15. Cape Town
    Moves
    25 Feb '08 07:53
    This is virtually pointless. If there is a God, then it is only logical that if He communicated His will to us He would also keep that information uncorrupted.
    We can therefore conclude that without a doubt the Bible can not possibly be a communication from God. The Bible is provably both corrupted and corruptible. Different translations differ in both meaning and content - and I can quite easily produce a translation that is provably corrupted.

A literal interpretation is the safest way to understand the Bible. Except where it is obvious that the Bible is allegorical or metaphorical, a literal interpretation of the plain meaning is the only way to avoid complication and confusion.
    It is always in the best interest of the naysayers to promote the idea that God doesn't really mean what He says for the purpose of controlling what and how one believes.
    The best way to even begin to understand the Bible is to at least pretend to assume that the author is God and simply take Him at His word.

Yet if I do exactly that, you will immediately claim that I do not understand it, or am interpreting it wrongly and that I require assistance from the Holy Spirit in order to read it. Also, you surely don't believe that only sheep and goats will get to Judgment day? How do you know what is parable and what is not?

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree