1. Donationrwingett
    Ming the Merciless
    Royal Oak, MI
    Moves
    09 Jan '10 14:57
    I have been collecting foreign currency for several years now and have amassed a fairly extensive collection (I have at least one banknote from every country in the world). To the best of my knowledge, there are only two countries in the entire world which invoke a deity on their currency: the United States and Kuwait. US currency has "In God We Trust" printed on the back, while Kuwait's has "We Seek God's Assistance" on the back of its. Not even a theocracy like Iran invokes a deity on their currency.

But my knowledge may be incomplete. I neither have every banknote issued by every government, nor am I able to read all of what's printed on the ones I do have. Does anyone know of any other examples of countries invoking a deity on their currency? Or on their coins?

What also strikes me as peculiar are the number of Muslim countries who have the front of their currency printed in Arabic, while the back is printed in English or French. To use Kuwait as an example, the front is printed in Arabic, so I have no idea what it says. On the back, however, printed clearly in English, is the phrase, "We Seek God's Assistance."

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/4/49/1_Kuwait-Dinar(1994).jpg

Even Iran, with its animosity toward the US, has the front of its currency printed in Arabic, while the back is printed entirely in English. For example, you can clearly read, "Central Bank of the Islamic Republic of Iran." I have no idea why they would do that. Does anyone? Libya is one of the few examples that prints both the front and back entirely in Arabic.
  2. Account suspended
    Moves
    09 Jan '10 15:53
    Originally posted by rwingett
    I have been collecting foreign currency for several years now and have amassed a fairly extensive collection (I have at least one banknote from every country in the world). To the best of my knowledge, there are only two countries in the entire world which invoke a deity on their currency: the United States and Kuwait. US currency has "In God We Trust" prin ...[text shortened]... a is one of the few examples that prints both the front and back entirely in Arabic.
    lots of British coins have references to the monarch and God, usually symbolised by Latin, although i do not think that this can be construed as invoking a deity.
  3. Donationrwingett
    Ming the Merciless
    Royal Oak, MI
    Moves
    09 Jan '10 16:53
    Originally posted by robbie carrobie
    lots of British coins have references to the monarch and God, usually symbolised by Latin, although i do not think that this can be construed as invoking a deity.
    Hmmm...curious they don't put it on their banknotes as well.
  4. Account suspended
    Moves
    09 Jan '10 16:56
    yes, you are more likely to get a historical figure, but let me check. It usually coincides with the image of the particular ruling Monarch, for it corresponds to his/her title, like defender of the faith or something.
  5. Joined
    04 Feb '05
    Moves
    11 Jan '10 10:12
    I have been collecting foreign currency for several years now and have amassed a fairly extensive collection (I have at least one banknote from every country in the world). To the best of my knowledge, there are only two countries in the entire world which invoke a deity on their currency: the United States and Kuwait. US currency has "In God We Trust" prin ...[text shortened]... a is one of the few examples that prints both the front and back entirely in Arabic.
    "All my life i have been searching for god and he was right here in my pocket. "

Chris Rock
  6. Account suspended
    Moves
    11 Jan '10 10:54
    there is a reference on the Pakistani rupee, which reads from difficult to translate phrase, honesty is like worship, meaning that honest work is akin to a godly quality or something like that. Its real hard to get the sense of it.
  7. England
    Moves
    11 Jan '10 11:23
    it may have something to do with give to ceaser what is his and give to god what is his............... just kidding guys
  8. Donationrwingett
    Ming the Merciless
    Royal Oak, MI
    Moves
    11 Jan '10 13:39
    Originally posted by robbie carrobie
    there is a reference on the Pakistani rupee, which reads from difficult to translate phrase, honesty is like worship, meaning that honest work is akin to a godly quality or something like that. Its real hard to get the sense of it.
    Interesting. I looked the Pakistani rupee up on Wikipedia and it has this to say:

All banknotes other than the 1 and 2 rupees feature a portrait of Muhammad Ali Jinnah on the obverse along with writing in Urdu. The reverses of the banknotes vary in design and have English text. The only Urdu text found on the reverse is the Urdu translation of the Prophetic Hadith, "Seeking honest livelihood is worship of God."
  9. Account suspended
    Moves
    11 Jan '10 13:59
    Interesting. I looked the Pakistani rupee up on Wikipedia and it has this to say:

All banknotes other than the 1 and 2 rupees feature a portrait of Muhammad Ali Jinnah on the obverse along with writing in Urdu. The reverses of the banknotes vary in design and have English text. The only Urdu text found on the reverse is the Urdu translation of the Prophetic Hadith, "Seeking honest livelihood is worship of God."
    yes this is it my friend, it was just my lack of translation skills that could not convey the thought properly.
  10. Standard memberkaroly aczel
    The Axe man
    Brisbane,QLD
    Moves
    11 Jan '10 16:181 edit
    I have been collecting foreign currency for several years now and have amassed a fairly extensive collection (I have at least one banknote from every country in the world). To the best of my knowledge, there are only two countries in the entire world which invoke a deity on their currency: the United States and Kuwait. US currency has "In God We Trust" prin a is one of the few examples that prints both the front and back entirely in Arabic.
    i think your onto something personally. The history of the emergence of money is a very shroudy one origonally based on the gold standard. I've only read bits and pieces without being able to put it together properly. I think you've just given me another clue.Thnx.
    edit😲h yeah, and why is that pyramid with an eye on the american notes? Illuminatti?
  11. Donationrwingett
    Ming the Merciless
    Royal Oak, MI
    Moves
    11 Jan '10 18:46
    Originally posted by karoly aczel
    i think your onto something personally. The history of the emergence of money is a very shroudy one origonally based on the gold standard. I've only read bits and pieces without being able to put it together properly. I think you've just given me another clue.Thnx.
    edit😲h yeah, and why is that pyramid with an eye on the american notes? Illuminatti?
    The pyramid and eye are from the reverse side of the Great Seal of the United States. The eye represents the eye of providence watching over America.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Great_Seal_of_the_United_States
  12. Joined
    16 Jan '10
    Moves
    16 Jan '10 17:14
    so the providence heaven/god looking at us caring for us while America hopefully does not proceed the one world order.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree