1. Standard memberAgerg
    The 'edit'or
    converging to it
    Moves
    09 Mar '10 15:284 edits
    Just a little question for theists here: as you are all exposed to differing versions/accounts of the god you accept to be true do you find yourselves relaxing the properties youattach to it/Him/(Her)/etc...?

What I mean here is that if you believed god does/did/is X and you hear others saying god does/did/is A,B,C,... (none of which being equal) are you now able to adobt the position that *perhaps* that which god does/did/is *might* be one of X,A,B,C,...,?

Or do you obstinately hold fast to the notion that precisely one (usually your own) interpretation of the scriptures you believe to be true is more correct (in all ways you can think of) than other interpretation?
  2. Unknown Territories
    Moves
    09 Mar '10 17:09
    Originally posted by Agerg
    Just a little question for theists here: as you are all exposed to differing versions/accounts of the god you accept to be true do you find yourselves relaxing the properties youattach to it/Him/(Her)/etc...?

What I mean here is that if you believed god does/did/is X and you hear others saying god does/did/is A,B,C,... (none of which being equal) are you no ...[text shortened]... you believe to be true is more correct (in all ways you can think of) than other interpretation?
    Or do you obstinately hold fast to the notion that precisely one (usually your own) interpretation of the scriptures you believe to be true is more correct (in all ways you can think of) than other interpretation?
    Obstinately, I hold to the fact that there is but one version of the truth and that I am charged with holding to that version. Obstinately, I hold to the principle that, while the truth can be perfectly known and perfectly held, such perfection is--- at best--- a work in progress, and impossible to obtain in this lifetime.
  3. Standard membergalveston75
    Texasman
    San Antonio Texas
    Moves
    09 Mar '10 17:27

What I mean here is that if you believed god does/did/is X and you hear others saying god does/did/is A,B,C,... (none of which being equal) are you no ...[text shortened]... you believe to be true is more correct (in all ways you can think of) than other interpretation?
    There can only be one truth with God. I don't know how accurate this resource is but it's a start. The point here is that Truth is something very important to God.

http://wiki.answers.com/Q/How_many_times_is_the_word_Truth_used_in_the_Bible
  4. Donationrwingett
    Ming the Merciless
    Royal Oak, MI
    Moves
    10 Mar '10 00:58
    Originally posted by FreakyKBH
    [b]Or do you obstinately hold fast to the notion that precisely one (usually your own) interpretation of the scriptures you believe to be true is more correct (in all ways you can think of) than other interpretation?
    Obstinately, I hold to the fact that there is but one version of the truth and that I am charged with holding to that version. Obstinat ...[text shortened]... such perfection is--- at best--- a work in progress, and impossible to obtain in this lifetime.[/b]
    If this 'truth' cannot be obtained in this lifetime, then how can you be so sure it exists?
  5. Standard membergalveston75
    Texasman
    San Antonio Texas
    Moves
    10 Mar '10 01:54
    Originally posted by rwingett
    If this 'truth' cannot be obtained in this lifetime, then how can you be so sure it exists?
    The question is why doesn't it exist?
  6. Unknown Territories
    Moves
    10 Mar '10 03:58
    Originally posted by rwingett
    Well, that's a start!
  7. Standard membermenace71
    Can't win a game of
    38N Lat X 121W Lon
    Moves
    10 Mar '10 04:50

I think unfortunately I hold fast but I think there is a danger there and I readily admit it. The moment we try and put God in a box then we are in trouble.

Manny
  8. Standard memberAgerg
    The 'edit'or
    converging to it
    Moves
    10 Mar '10 10:421 edit
    Originally posted by FreakyKBH
    [b]Or do you obstinately hold fast to the notion that precisely one (usually your own) interpretation of the scriptures you believe to be true is more correct (in all ways you can think of) than other interpretation?
    Obstinately, I hold to the fact that there is but one version of the truth and that I am charged with holding to that version. Obstinat ...[text shortened]... such perfection is--- at best--- a work in progress, and impossible to obtain in this lifetime.[/b]
    How can you be so sure that it is not someone holding opposing views to yours that is charged with holding the only version of truth?
  9. Subscriberjosephw
    Owner
    Scoffer Mocker
    Moves
    10 Mar '10 11:07

"Or do you obstinately hold fast to the notion that precisely one (usually your own) interpretation of the scriptures you believe to be true is more correct (in all ways you can think of) than other interpretation?"

While debating in this forum is challenging and, as with any venue where one's beliefs are confronted with opposing views, it does not replace or supersede or adjunct, or modify, or annul God's revelation of Himself or His will.

I wouldn't characterise holding fast to my convictions as obstinate though. Although I do try to recognise when I'm being obstinate, and that is probably true some of the time.

But, there are certain "things" that cannot be "untrue" about some of the things I know and trust to be "true". Things that are simply never changing.

For example; God is unchanging. God is whole and complete. Nothing can be added to or taken away from who and what God is. While my perceptions and beliefs may change over time as I mature and grow spiritually, God remains the same.

I arrive at this conclusion as a direct result of being spiritually "enlightened" or "illuminated" by the revelation of God's Word. This is a hard sell for most people because it goes against every fiber of the "natural" man's being. The idea relies on the revelation of "Truth" from an objective source. A source that is not perceived with the physical senses, but when recognised with one's spirit through faith has an immediate and profound effect.

The bottom line is, to answer your question, no. God Himself is my final authority.

How could it be otherwise?
  10. Joined
    04 Feb '05
    Moves
    10 Mar '10 11:11
    How can you be so sure that it is not someone holding opposing views to yours that is charged with holding the only version of truth?
    there are some issues in which you need to believe. these do not change. they are the basics, the foundation of a certain system of beliefs and is true in all aspects of life, not just religion.

god is love, god created the universe, god sent his son to teach us love, compassion, sacrifice. these are the building blocks of christianity. anything else can be viewed as filler. believing in a global flood does not make a better or worse christian or person. eating or not eating pork does not make a better or worse muslim.

as long as you understand what the important things are it doesn't really matter who holds a bigger slice of truth.
  11. Joined
    04 Feb '05
    Moves
    10 Mar '10 11:12
    Originally posted by josephw
    [b]"Or do you obstinately hold fast to the notion that precisely one (usually your own) interpretation of the scriptures you believe to be true is more correct (in all ways you can think of) than other interpretation?"

While debating in this forum is challenging and, as with any venue where one's beliefs are confronted with opposing views, it does not ...[text shortened]... on, no. God Himself is my final authority.

How could it be otherwise?[/b]
    how would you know what is his will? we are talking about a being that doesn't speak directly but through proxys. how do you know the proxys, humans prone to weakness, are telling the truth.
  12. Unknown Territories
    Moves
    10 Mar '10 14:21
    Every attempt to objectify any aspect of the system must be made, i.e., verify what can be verified. Once established--- if established--- you have your starting gate.
  13. Standard membergalveston75
    Texasman
    San Antonio Texas
    Moves
    10 Mar '10 16:441 edit
    Can there be truth in religion?

http://www.watchtower.org/e/200803/article_01.htm

Make sure to arrow over at the end of each page.
  14. Standard membermenace71
    Can't win a game of
    38N Lat X 121W Lon
    Moves
    11 Mar '10 05:44
    Originally posted by galveston75
    Can there be truth in religion?

http://www.watchtower.org/e/200803/article_01.htm

Make sure to arrow over at the end of each page.
    LOL 😉 Can there be truth in the Watchtower?

Manny
  15. Standard memberkaroly aczel
    The Axe man
    Brisbane,QLD
    Moves
    11 Mar '10 07:26
    Originally posted by menace71
    I think unfortunately I hold fast but I think there is a danger there and I readily admit it. The moment we try and put God in a box then we are in trouble.

Manny
    "The moment we put God in a box then we are in trouble"
    This is a great starting point for any theist honestly trying to find 'truth'
    Lets face it, it happens all the time, and all the time people are wrong. But they keep going with their lies anyway, trying to persuade others of their version of reality.
    The search for God is a full time occupation by nature. It is long and arduos journey often with no results. Oh well, better to have tried and failed than not to have tried at all.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree