1. DonationAcolyte
    Now With Added BA
    Loughborough
    Moves
    19 Mar '05 10:54
    No, I don't mean 'where do the dead go?' I mean, for those of you who believe in an afterlife, how do the dead relate physically, mentally and spiritually to their previous state of life? The reason I ask is that most descriptions I hear of the afterlife sound either a) very dull or b) something no human could possibly experience, from a psychological point-of-view, and involve 'souls' becoming something only vaguely related to their former humanity. But if the dead aren't really human any more, in what sense can people talk about 'eternal life'? I might as well talk about living forever because the carbon in my body will eventually form parts of other living creatures.
  2. Joined
    16 Dec '04
    Moves
    19 Mar '05 13:38
    Originally posted by Acolyte
    No, I don't mean 'where do the dead go?' I mean, for those of you who believe in an afterlife, how do the dead relate physically, mentally and spiritually to their previous state of life? The reason I ask is that most descriptions I hear of the afterlife sound either a) very dull or b) something no human could possibly experience, from a psychological p ...[text shortened]... ving forever because the carbon in my body will eventually form parts of other living creatures.
    There are Believers that have also asked the same question. The answer is found in THE WORD OF GOD.
    So God created man in his own image, in the image of God created he them. GENESIS 1:27 What is the image of GOD? It is said that GOD is a Spirit. If the image of GOD is a Spirit, and HE created Man in HIS own image. Does that mean that within man there is a spirit? And if there is...... And if the CREATOR GOD'S Spirit, cannot die, can that mean that the Spirit that GOD put in man cannot die as well.
    And the Lord God formed man of the dust of the ground, and breathed into his nostrils the breath of life; and man became a living soul. GENESIS 2:7
    If GOD created man, and gave him a living soul. What was that Living Soul? If GOD the Breath of life, GOD gave enters a man, can it ever die? Saying without going into the understanding of Death, was man ever supposed to die?
    Then shall the dust return to the earth as it was: and the spirit of man shall return unto God who gave it. ECCLESIASTES 12:7
    The spirit of man returns unto GOD? Would this Spirit Be alive or dead? Can the Spirit of man really die? Since GOD place this Spirit within man alive,would it also return to GOD alive? Could it be that our flesh dies, but our spirit remains alive and returns to GOD?
  3. Standard memberno1marauder
    Naturally Right
    Somewhere Else
    Moves
    19 Mar '05 15:56
    Originally posted by blindfaith101
    There are Believers that have also asked the same question. The answer is found in THE WORD OF GOD.
    So God created man in his own image, in the image of God created he them. GENESIS 1:27 What is the image of GOD? It is said that GOD is a Spirit. If the image of GOD is a Spirit, and HE created Man in HIS own image. Does that mean that within man there ...[text shortened]... to GOD alive? Could it be that our flesh dies, but our spirit remains alive and returns to GOD?
    If man's spirit cannot die, what does Romans 6:23 mean:

The wages of sin are death

If you believe that ALL the Bible is "godbreathed" and inerrant, then you can't believe both that man's spirit never dies AND that the wages of sin are death. How do you resolve this contradiction?
  4. Joined
    16 Dec '04
    Moves
    19 Mar '05 16:21
    Originally posted by no1marauder

If you believe that ALL the Bible is "godbreathed" and inerrant, then you can't believe both that man's spirit never dies AND that the wages of sin are death. How do you resolve this contradiction?
    For the wages of sin is death; but the gift of God is eternal life through Jesus Christ our Lord. ROMANS 6:23
    The carnal/flesh man dies.. When you come to CHRIST, that flesh you dies but the Spirit you lives and lives forever.
    Under youunderstanding who or what are those that are spoken of in REVELATION 21:8 22:15 20:15 Would they not be souls
  5. Standard memberno1marauder
    Naturally Right
    Somewhere Else
    Moves
    19 Mar '05 16:28
    For the wages of sin is death; but the gift of God is eternal life through Jesus Christ our Lord. ROMANS 6:23
    The carnal/flesh man dies.. When you come to CHRIST, that flesh you dies but the Spirit you lives and lives forever.
    Under youunderstanding who or what are those that are spoken of in REVELATION 21:8 22:15 20:15 Would they not be souls
    I don't really pay any attention to Revelations as it reads like a bunch of superstitious rot, kinda like a less reliable Delphic Oracle or Nostradamus having a "blue" day. If all souls return to God (why the all capital letters again?) is no one damned? God doesn't exist in Hell does He?
  6. Felicific Forest
    Moves
    19 Mar '05 16:371 edit

If you believe that ALL the Bible is "godbreathed" and inerrant, then you can't believe both that man's spirit never dies AN ...[text shortened]... the wages of sin are death. How do you resolve this contradiction?
    Wouldn't it be better no1, to adress directly the question Acolyte raised by initiating this thread instead of continuing your never ending useless discussion with blindfaith about absolutely nothing ?
  7. Joined
    16 Dec '04
    Moves
    19 Mar '05 16:45
    I don't really pay any attention to Revelations as it reads like a bunch of superstitious rot, kinda like a less reliable Delphic Oracle or Nostradamus having a "blue" day. If all souls return to God (why the all capital letters again?) is no one damned? God doesn't exist in Hell does He?
    REVELATION a part of GOD'S WORD. Time shall tell whether or not true or not.
    Remember the Parable of the rich man and Lazarus. he lifted up his eyes in hell to see Lazarus sitting on the lap of father Abraham.Therefore those in hell will be thinking about GOD. So if those that are hell are able to think and see GOD, in fact did not JESUS CHRIST, go into hell, and preached THE WORD OF GOD?
  8. Standard memberno1marauder
    Naturally Right
    Somewhere Else
    Moves
    19 Mar '05 17:03
    Originally posted by ivanhoe
    Wouldn't it be better no1, to adress directly the question Acolyte raised by initiating this thread instead of continuing your never ending useless discussion with blindfaith about absolutely nothing ?
    Last I checked I was allowed to respond directly to other's posts. I responded to the specific points in Blindfaith's post; if you think we've strayed off-topic you have my permission to alert all our posts. You know that my answer to Acolyte's question would be "I lack sufficient information to make a reasonable hypothesis about what happens to people after they die" and that would make for a pretty boring thread, wouldn't it?
  9. Standard memberno1marauder
    Naturally Right
    Somewhere Else
    Moves
    19 Mar '05 17:08
    REVELATION a part of GOD'S WORD. Time shall tell whether or not true or not.
    Remember the Parable of the rich man and Lazarus. he lifted up his eyes in hell to see Lazarus sitting on the lap of father Abraham.Therefore those in hell will be thinking about GOD. So if those that are hell are able to think and see GOD, in fact did not JESUS CHRIST, go into hell, and preached THE WORD OF GOD?
    Do you understand what a "parable" is? "A short fictitious story that illustrates a moral principle or a religious principle". You are taking a fictitious story that Jesus told to impart a lesson (i.e. that you should be nice to your fellow man) and LITERALLY interpreting its elements. Don't you see that that is faulty reasoning and most likely contrary to what Jesus intended?
  10. Joined
    16 Dec '04
    Moves
    11 Jul '05 13:21
    Do you understand what a "parable" is? "A short fictitious story that illustrates a moral principle or a religious principle". You are taking a fictitious story that Jesus told to impart a lesson (i.e. that you should be nice to your fellow man) and LITERALLY interpreting its elements. Don't you see that that is faulty reasoning and most likely contrary to what Jesus intended?
    Since you say that Parables are fictitious stories, are you saying that JESUS CHRIST was telling lies?
  11. Standard memberMoldy Crow
    Your Eminence
    Scunthorpe
    Moves
    11 Jul '05 15:51
    Originally posted by ivanhoe
    And Ivan Ho , why do you not recognize that BF (in his second post) completely ducked out of a direct response to No1's direct question ?Are the unbelievers the only one's required to respond directly , while the believers are able to give obtuse answers till the cows come home ?
  12. Standard memberMoldy Crow
    Your Eminence
    Scunthorpe
    Moves
    11 Jul '05 15:57
    Since you say that Parables are fictitious stories, are you saying that JESUS CHRIST was telling lies?
    This is extreme , and an attempt to put words into someone's mouth to put them in the worst light possible . You will get further in constructive debate (thereby getting people to hear your POV ) if you abandon this tactic . It's bush-league . A fiction to illustrate a point and a lie are two completely different things and you know it . Your preacher does it from the pulpit every sunday I would guess . Is he a liar ? Come on , and 4 year old knows the difference between a parable and a lie . What's your problem ? Are you stupid , or just malicious and manipulative ?
  13. Joined
    24 Apr '05
    Moves
    11 Jul '05 17:03
    Originally posted by Acolyte
    No, I don't mean 'where do the dead go?' I mean, for those of you who believe in an afterlife, how do the dead relate physically, mentally and spiritually to their previous state of life? The reason I ask is that most descriptions I hear of the afterlife sound either a) very dull or b) something no human could possibly experience, from a psychological p ...[text shortened]... ving forever because the carbon in my body will eventually form parts of other living creatures.
    right now, i think it is quite likely that the dead all simply become maggot food.
  14. Standard memberKellyJay
    Walk your Faith
    USA
    Moves
    11 Jul '05 17:38

There are two deaths the Bible speaks about, the 2nd death is the
    one everyone wants to avoid. The first death is something we are
    all familiar with, and I’m sure everyone also wants to avoid that one
    too.
    Kelly
  15. Joined
    27 Mar '05
    Moves
    12 Jul '05 00:11
    Jesus did not indicate that the story of the Rich Man and Lazarus is a parable (i.e. fictitoius).

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree