1. Standard membergenius
    Wayward Soul
    Your Blackened Sky
    Moves
    22 Nov '07 16:27
    Originally posted by wormwood
    I have learned quite a lot about tolerance, politics, human relationships, love, poetry and criticism from rock music. I don't see any of that in christian music, not even love.

christian music seems to talk a lot about 'love', but always in a really harmless, childish hippie-crap kinda way, which has absolutely nothing to do with real love.

'l ...[text shortened]... t or talked with (and if you have, it's called mental illness). that's not love.

Your bias against christian rock seem to be rooted in your bias against christianity. You claim that christian rock talks a lot about love is identical to the way that christians talk about love.

I don't know if you could call them rock, and probably not by todays standards (for want of a better word), and you couldn't really call them christians, but Simon and Garfunel's "A Church is Burning" captures magnificently the idea of "church" and fellowship.
  2. Joined
    28 Feb '07
    Moves
    22 Nov '07 17:07
    Originally posted by darvlay
    To be honest, nothing puts me in a better mood than taking a big sloppy dump over the embarrassment that is Christian Rock.
    Come now Darvlay... DC Talk,Newsboys,Mark Schultz all have a very uplifting and positive message... much better to listen to that than...say... Marilyn Manson with his devil music.......
  3. Standard memberwormwood
    If Theres Hell Below
    We're All Gonna Go!
    Moves
    22 Nov '07 17:233 edits
    Originally posted by genius
    Your bias against christian rock seem to be rooted in your bias against christianity.
    it isn't. I even posted a rare example of good christian rock on page 1 of the other christian rock thread. Thread 81225

and there's no way in hell simon & garfunkel can be classified as christian music.
  4. Standard memberwormwood
    If Theres Hell Below
    We're All Gonna Go!
    Moves
    22 Nov '07 17:41
    Originally posted by Jay Joos
    much better to listen to that than...say... Marilyn Manson with his devil music.......
    funny that you took him as an example, as he was raised in a close-minded fundamentalist christian community, went to christian school, and what he experienced there was exactly what made him 'marilyn manson'.
  5. THORNINYOURSIDE
    Moves
    22 Nov '07 18:31
    http://tinyurl.com/2cfwsc
  6. Standard memberPalynka
    Upward Spiral
    Halfway
    Moves
    22 Nov '07 22:33
    I have learned quite a lot about tolerance, politics, human relationships, love, poetry and criticism from rock music. I don't see any of that in christian music, not even love.

christian music seems to talk a lot about 'love', but always in a really harmless, childish hippie-crap kinda way, which has absolutely nothing to do with real love.

'l ...[text shortened]... t's like thunder, lightening
    The way you love me it's frightening[/i]
    I don't see any of that in rock. Not in a meaningful way, at least. "Real love" for me must then be very different from what it is to you. But that's okay.

It's interesting that many people defend that they see those things in a Christian message. You see them (good) rock lyrics. I see them elsewhere.

Inspiration has many sources. Don't slag one of those just because it's not your own.
  7. The sky
    Moves
    23 Nov '07 03:27
    and there's no way in hell simon & garfunkel can be classified as christian music.
    Maybe there's a way in heaven.
  8. Standard memberwormwood
    If Theres Hell Below
    We're All Gonna Go!
    Moves
    23 Nov '07 03:47
    Originally posted by Nordlys
    Maybe there's a way in heaven.
    I guess I'll never know then...
  9. The sky
    Moves
    23 Nov '07 03:49
    I guess I'll never know then...
    Me neither.

Why aren't you asleep at this time of the night?
  10. Standard memberJamin
    Irresponsible Quoter
    0 games mating
    Moves
    23 Nov '07 03:52
    funny that you took him as an example, as he was raised in a close-minded fundamentalist christian community, went to christian school, and what he experienced there was exactly what made him 'marilyn manson'.
    Tough call, there. You are talking about nature vs. nurture, you are of the opinion that it was his/it's environment more than his disposition.
    Perhaps, but maybe he just enjoys being a eccentric (really wealthy) freak... 😵
  11. The sky
    Moves
    23 Nov '07 04:04
    Originally posted by Jamin
    Tough call, there. You are talking about nature vs. nurture, you are of the opinion that it was his/it's environment more than his disposition.
    Maybe it was a clash between nature and nurture, rather than being more one than the other.
  12. Standard memberJamin
    Irresponsible Quoter
    0 games mating
    Moves
    23 Nov '07 04:161 edit
    Maybe it was a clash between nature and nurture, rather than being more one than the other.
    Maybe he likes money, is really what I was getting at.
    It takes more to shock people these days than a little stage blood and white face makeup (Gene Simmons...) Start rumors you had a rib surgically removed and all sorts of 'other stuff' and there you go.

And although John 5 is a pretty good guitarist, I won't claim to be fan, don't get me wrong.

*edit* I have to go and rotate my avatar 180... 😵
  13. Standard memberwormwood
    If Theres Hell Below
    We're All Gonna Go!
    Moves
    23 Nov '07 04:451 edit
    Me neither.

Why aren't you asleep at this time of the night?
    reading theory of screenplay writing & hellblazers. I like to do stuff at night. everything is quiet and there's no distractions like tv & phone ringing...

what's your excuse?
  14. The sky
    Moves
    23 Nov '07 04:57
    reading theory of screenplay writing & hellblazers. I like to do stuff at night. everything is quiet and there's no distractions like tv & phone ringing...

what's your excuse?
    I felt sick on my way home (actually on my intended way to the office, but I dropped that part), and when I got home, I went to bed right away. I soon fell asleep and didn't wake up until about 3 am. Now I am feeling reasonably well and very awake.
  15. Standard memberwormwood
    If Theres Hell Below
    We're All Gonna Go!
    Moves
    23 Nov '07 05:10
    I felt sick on my way home (actually on my intended way to the office, but I dropped that part), and when I got home, I went to bed right away. I soon fell asleep and didn't wake up until about 3 am. Now I am feeling reasonably well and very awake.
    what's the time there, 5:07? it's 7:07 here, I think I should go sleep now...

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree