1. Felicific Forest
    Moves
    10 Mar '05 19:24
    For the liberal Christians:

"If you believe what you like in the gospels, and reject what you don't like, it is not the gospel you believe, but yourself."

Saint Augustine
  2. Hmmm . . .
    Moves
    10 Mar '05 19:27
    For "conservative" Christians:

"If you believe what you like in the gospels, and reject what you don't like, it is not the gospel you believe, but yourself."

Saint Augustine

3. Standard memberDoctorScribbles
    BWA Soldier
    Tha Brotha Hood
    Moves
    10 Mar '05 19:55
    Originally posted by ivanhoe

Saint Augustine
    Do you believe what you like and reject what you like from the Catholic Catechism?

Or do you believe it or reject it in its entirety?
  4. Standard memberno1marauder
    Naturally Right
    Somewhere Else
    Moves
    10 Mar '05 20:28
    Originally posted by ivanhoe

Saint Augustine
    When St. Augustine referred to the "gospels" was he referring to those books of the New Testament with the teachings of Jesus or was he referring to the entire Bible including the murderous passages in the Old Testament?
  5. Standard membersasquatch672
    Don't Like It Leave
    Walking the earth.
    Moves
    10 Mar '05 20:51

This post is unavailable.

Please refer to our posting guidelines.

6. Standard memberPhlabibit
    Mystic Meg
    tinyurl.com/3sbbwd4
    Moves
    10 Mar '05 20:57
    Originally posted by sasquatch672
    What I have to say is this: there is no doubt in my mind that God exists. There is also no doubt that the church - any church - is a creation of man and therefore wildly imperfect. Find God in your own way. Or don't.
    Here here!

P
  7. R.I.P.
    Moves
    10 Mar '05 22:50
    Believe in slavery

Titus 2:9-10
    Teach slaves to be subject to their masters in everything, to try to please them, and not to steal from them
  8. Standard memberBigDogg
    Secret RHP coder
    on the payroll
    Moves
    11 Mar '05 00:13
    Originally posted by Jay Peatea
    Believe in slavery

Teach slaves to be subject to their masters in everything, to try to please them, and not to steal from them
    Find me a christian and I'll find you a part of the bible that he's (or she's) ignoring because it's too inconvenient to follow.
  9. Hmmm . . .
    Moves
    11 Mar '05 00:20
    Originally posted by BigDoggProblem
    Find me a christian and I'll find you a part of the bible that he's (or she's) ignoring because it's too inconvenient to follow.
    Find me a Christian who doesn't think the Bible is inerrant, literal truth and I'll find you another Christian who will tell her she's ignoring those parts just because they're too inconvenient to follow, without regard to whether it makes any sense to follow them or not. (Same for other religions, too.)
  10. Standard memberDarfius
    The Apologist
    Moves
    11 Mar '05 00:54
    Believe in slavery

Where exactly does it tell us to go out and get a slave?

I can take anything out of context and make it appear evil. Including the letter your mom wrote you for your birthday.

11. R.I.P.
    Moves
    11 Mar '05 01:22
    Originally posted by Darfius

I can take anything out of context and make it appear evil. Including the letter your mom wrote you for your birthday.

It doesn't, but it does imply that slavery is sanctioned, otherwise text like this wouldn't be in it.
  12. Standard memberDarfius
    The Apologist
    Moves
    11 Mar '05 01:29
    It doesn't, but it does imply that slavery is sanctioned, otherwise text like this wouldn't be in it.
    Paul was specifically addressing slaves who were under atheist masters. He told them this to set a Christian example for other slaves and for their master. Did Jesus come to set men free from the oppression of men or from the oppresion of sins? Don't make the same mistake the Jews made. Even with 2000 years of warnings, they were looking for a warrior king rather than a King to free them from their sins and give them the gift of eternal life.
  13. Standard memberBigDogg
    Secret RHP coder
    on the payroll
    Moves
    11 Mar '05 01:43
    Paul was specifically addressing slaves who were under atheist masters.
    I don't see any reference to atheism in these verses.
  14. Standard memberDarfius
    The Apologist
    Moves
    11 Mar '05 01:45
    Originally posted by BigDoggProblem
    I don't see any reference to atheism in these verses.
    My apologies. I should have said non-Christian.
  15. Standard memberBigDogg
    Secret RHP coder
    on the payroll
    Moves
    11 Mar '05 01:451 edit
    That point is irrelevant. The verse says a slave should please his master in everything. Do you think a slave should try to escape from his master? Was the 'civil rights' movement wrong?

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree