1. Standard memberDarfius
    The Apologist
    Moves
    11 Mar '05 02:45
    Originally posted by BigDoggProblem
    That point is irrelevant. The verse says a slave should please his master in everything. Do you think a slave should try to escape from his master? Was the 'civil rights' movement wrong?
    I think a slave who was a slave because of racism and was horribly treated should have tried to escape, yes. You have to read these letters in light of the situation of the day. Slaves of war were common. And if it was a Christian master, he would either treat his slaves as family, or not have any soon enough. If a non-Christian master, the Christian slave would set an admirable example for both his master and other slaves to come to Christ.

THAT is the goal. Not anything on this earth. But after it.
  2. Standard memberMaustrauser
    Lord Chook
    Stringybark
    Moves
    11 Mar '05 02:59
    This is what the Bible has to say about how to treat your slaves. Beat them hard but not hard enough to kill!

Exodus 21:20-21 (New International Version)

20 "If a man beats his male or female slave with a rod and the slave dies as a direct result, he must be punished,
    21 But he is not to be punished if the slave gets up after a day or two, since the slave is his property.
  3. Standard memberDarfius
    The Apologist
    Moves
    11 Mar '05 03:22
    Originally posted by Maustrauser
    This is what the Bible has to say about how to treat your slaves. Beat them hard but not hard enough to kill!

Exodus 21:20-21 (New International Version)

20 "If a man beats his male or female slave with a rod and the slave dies as a direct result, he must be punished,
    21 But he is not to be punished if the slave gets up after a day or two, since the slave is his property.
    Yes, that is how the Jews were to treat prisoners of war 3500 years ago. You're right on the money with that one.
  4. Standard memberBigDogg
    Secret RHP coder
    on the payroll
    Moves
    11 Mar '05 04:56
    Originally posted by Darfius
    I think a slave who was a slave because of racism and was horribly treated should have tried to escape, yes. You have to read these letters in light of the situation of the day. Slaves of war were common. And if it was a Christian master, he would either treat his slaves as family, or not have any soon enough. If a non-Christian master, the Christian sla ...[text shortened]... her slaves to come to Christ.

THAT is the goal. Not anything on this earth. But after it.
    If the goal isn't anything on this earth, then the bible sure wastes a lot of time talking about it.

There are already commandments to turn the other cheek, and to do good to those who spitefully use you. Why is it necessary to have a special command just to make sure that slaves always please their masters? Is it not a violation of that command for a slave to run away? Call me crazy, but I doubt the master would be pleased to find that his slave skipped town.
  5. Standard memberDarfius
    The Apologist
    Moves
    11 Mar '05 05:02
    Originally posted by BigDoggProblem
    If the goal isn't anything on this earth, then the bible sure wastes a lot of time talking about it.

There are already commandments to turn the other cheek, and to do good to those who spitefully use you. Why is it necessary to have a special command just to make sure that slaves always please their masters? Is it not a violation of that command f ...[text shortened]... way? Call me crazy, but I doubt the master would be pleased to find that his slave skipped town.
    Yes, how to behave on earth to reach the goal.

You have to realize that some of the Scriptures are letters. Letters to people living in the 1st century AD. Some of the things within those letters will not and can not pertain to modern day. Slaves who were slaves because of racism did not have an obligation morally or Scripturally to stay.
  6. R.I.P.
    Moves
    11 Mar '05 21:42

You have to realize that some of the Scriptures are letters. Letters to people living in the 1st century AD. Some of the things within those letters will not and can not pertain to modern day. Slaves who were slaves because of racism did not have an obligation morally or Scripturally to stay.
    Are you saying that these letters are not the words of god, but instead the words of man ?
  7. Standard memberBigDogg
    Secret RHP coder
    on the payroll
    Moves
    11 Mar '05 22:04

The century makes no difference. The verse in Titus does not allow for an exception based on a racist master.
  8. Standard memberNemesio
    Ursulakantor
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Moves
    11 Mar '05 22:37
    You have to realize that some of the Scriptures are letters. Letters to people living in the 1st century AD. Some of the things within those letters will not and can not pertain to modern day.
    I thought the Word of God was eternal and unchanging.

Watch:

1. In the beginning was the Word (St John 1:1a)
    2. And the Word became flesh (St John 14a)
    3. Jesus Christ is the same yesterday, today, and forever (Hebrews 13:8)

So, if the Bible is the Word of God, and the Word was made flesh
    in Jesus, and Jesus never changes:

Then a literalist must hold that Bible never changes and, as such,
    those things (like not braiding your hair and slaves) must continue to
    hold.

QED
    Nemesio
  9. Standard memberDarfius
    The Apologist
    Moves
    11 Mar '05 23:27
    Originally posted by Nemesio
    I thought the Word of God was eternal and unchanging.

Watch:

1. In the beginning was the Word (St John 1:1a)
    2. And the Word became flesh (St John 14a)
    3. Jesus Christ is the same yesterday, today, and forever (Hebrews 13:8)

So, if the Bible is the Word of God, and the Word was made flesh
    in Jesus, and Jesus never changes:

Then a literalist ...[text shortened]... ,
    those things (like not braiding your hair and slaves) must continue to
    hold.

QED
    Nemesio
    Exactly. I agree.

Now I'd like to see where Paul endorses slavery. Not where he tells slaves of the day how to behave, but where he says there should be slaves.

Please.
  10. Standard memberNemesio
    Ursulakantor
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Moves
    12 Mar '05 00:54
    Exactly. I agree.

Now I'd like to see where Paul endorses slavery. Not where he tells slaves of the day how to behave, but where he says there should be slaves.

Please.
    If Scripture informs us how we ought to treat our slaves and how
    slaves ought to act, then that is an endorsement. If Scripture were
    opposed to the idea, then it would say, 'Slavery is wrong.'

You were the one who said 'Some of the things within those letters
    will not and can not pertain to modern day;' that is heresy for literalists.

Nemesio
  11. Donationrwingett
    Ming the Merciless
    Royal Oak, MI
    Moves
    12 Mar '05 01:03
    Originally posted by Nemesio
    If Scripture informs us how we ought to treat our slaves and how
    slaves ought to act, then that is an endorsement. If Scripture were
    opposed to the idea, then it would say, 'Slavery is wrong.'

You were the one who said 'Some of the things within those letters
    will not and can not pertain to modern day;' that is heresy for literalists.

Nemesio
    It is heresy for moral absolutists.
  12. Standard memberNemesio
    Ursulakantor
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Moves
    12 Mar '05 03:59
    Originally posted by rwingett
    It is heresy for moral absolutists.
    Would you expand upon this, Rwingett?

Nemesio

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree