1. An' it harms none...
    Moves
    05 Dec '05 17:12
    Originally posted by windmill
    While writing some threads on suicide I got talking to a person involved in wicca through the pm.Such a nice attitude towards life with a good heart and I find it sad that many Christians are lacking in these areas.Jesus as I said in one of my pm's is a good part of my life and I hope one day this person will see this.
    ...[text shortened]...
    Keyteach@xtra.co.nz
    Just want to try and answer Windmill's question 🙂

We are just like everyone else, we laugh, cry, work, play and worship.

We celebrate different times of the year differently, just like other religions.

We have one simple "rule" (who needs 10) 🙂

Someone said we are a "bit to everybodies right". Only because we're happy for you to believe whatever you like, just remember that we don't believe what you do.

Many involved in other religions might find the idea of things like ritual sex or naked fire dancing strange, but it's no stranger than how we find many of your practices. My religious practices are no wierder to me than yours are to you.

We're not crazy, just different.

Blessed be...
  2. Unknown Territories
    Moves
    05 Dec '05 17:26
    Originally posted by dags

Someone said we are a "bit to everybodies right".

Blessed be...
    Undoubtedly, everyone should become Wiccan.
    That would solve that nasty 'human nature' thing.
  3. Et in Arcadia ego...
    Moves
    05 Dec '05 17:33
    Yes, it is unfair how the rest of the world stereotypes and persecutes the poor Wiccans.

From where I'm standing, for example, the whole things seems to point towards sad crusties who are like so totally at one with nature man, and would never dream of having anything concrete to believe in, as that might restrict them in their grooviness.

You can't possibly define this nonsense as a religion. It is a major, organised phony, is what it is, and more fool anyone for falling for it.
  4. An' it harms none...
    Moves
    05 Dec '05 17:43
    Originally posted by sjeg
    Yes, it is unfair how the rest of the world stereotypes and persecutes the poor Wiccans.

From where I'm standing, for example, the whole things seems to point towards sad crusties who are like so totally at one with nature man, and would never dream of having anything concrete to believe in, as that might restrict them in their grooviness.

You can ...[text shortened]... eligion. It is a major, organised phony, is what it is, and more fool anyone for falling for it.
    Although I can't speak for all of us but I don't feel stereotyped or persecuted.

Do you define all religions as nonsense or just the ones you don't agree with?
  5. Et in Arcadia ego...
    Moves
    05 Dec '05 18:031 edit
    Although I can't speak for all of us but I don't feel stereotyped or persecuted.

Do you define all religions as nonsense or just the ones you don't agree with?
    Well if I defined the ones I agree with as nonsense, then where would that leave me?

Religion: (from http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Religion)

sometimes used interchangeably with faith or belief system—is commonly defined as belief concerning the supernatural, sacred, or divine; and the moral codes, practices, values, institutions and rituals associated with such belief. In its broadest sense some have defined it as the sum total of answers given to explain humankind's relationship with the universe.

If it has no true moral codes, practices, values, institutions or rituals, it is not a 'religion'. From the Latin, 'religo, religare', to bind. Wiccans are bound by nothing. I would conclude that Wicca cannot be defined a religion.

I don't mean to pour scorn on anybody- everyone is free to do as they please- but don't drag religion into this- it's an insult to the billions of people in this world who actually follow a real religion, whatever that might be.

EDIT: Well, ok. Maybe just a little scorn... But that's it.
  6. An' it harms none...
    Moves
    05 Dec '05 18:15
    "sometimes used interchangeably with faith or belief system"

Everyone is right 🙂
  7. Et in Arcadia ego...
    Moves
    05 Dec '05 18:242 edits
    Damn Wiccans. So nice to everyone!

What they meant was "sometimes erroneously used...", but they missed a word.

😛

Ok- I'll stop with the cynicism- you won me over by being so bloody pleasant- get back to describing what you actually get up to, then, before I threw us off track.
  8. An' it harms none...
    Moves
    05 Dec '05 18:37
    Damn Wiccans. So nice to everyone!

What they meant was "sometimes erroneously used...", but they missed a word.

😛

Ok- I'll stop with the cynicism- you won me over by being so bloody pleasant- get back to describing what you actually get up to, then, before I threw us off track.
    Thanks 🙂

We get up to the same things as everyone else, just different 🙂
  9. Et in Arcadia ego...
    Moves
    05 Dec '05 18:43
    Thanks 🙂

That's it. You've sold me. Where do I sign up?

I shall forward you my bank details post haste!

😀
  10. Not Kansas
    Moves
    05 Dec '05 20:551 edit
    Thanks 🙂

I looked up Wicca at Religious Tolerance Org. and find it very beautiful, like art. Well, unpretentious art anyway.
    I suppose there could be charlatans and phonies out there, but an honest practitioner of Wicca would be benign, based on what I've read so far.

EDIT: Maybe "craft" is closer to what I have in mind than "art."
  11. WORK
    Moves
    05 Dec '05 21:05
    I am glad this thread had a happy ending.

Ususally its the same old case of "The people most willing to talk to you about religion are the same ones who are least willing to hear what you have to say about yours" scenario.

Good for you guys for being open hearted.
  12. Standard memberwindmill
    your king.
    Account suspended
    Moves
    07 Dec '05 01:401 edit
    Just want to try and answer Windmill's question 🙂

We are just like everyone else, we laugh, cry, work, play and worship.

We celebrate different times of the year differently, just like other religions.

We have one simple "rule" (who needs 10) 🙂

Someone said we are a "bit to everybodies right". Only because we're happy for you to believe what ...[text shortened]... re no wierder to me than yours are to you.

We're not crazy, just different.

Blessed be...
    Thanks 4 the reply Dags.
    I think i got a bit mixed up with you and Widget...sorry Widget.
    I like how you respected my right to choose the religion of my choice.Respect is something that leaves a lot to be desired round here.Thank you.
    As a Christian i'm not to sure how to approach some situations as i know i'm not that much different from others.It is what i believe in that makes the difference...not me.
    Feel free to ride further if you or anyone else wishes as i havn't learnt that much...I guess this applies to other religions,crafts and beliefs also.This is a bit of a hard choice for me to agree with due to my belief but this is the 'spirituality forum' so i guess any other way holds prejudice.I hate prejudice.
    Brent.🙂
  13. Standard memberjimmyb270
    Top Gun
    Angels 20
    Moves
    07 Dec '05 10:57
    You can't possibly define this nonsense as a religion. It is a major, organised phony, is what it is, and more fool anyone for falling for it.
    That's pretty close to a perfect definition of religion IMHO.
  14. Joined
    15 Jul '05
    Moves
    07 Dec '05 16:23
    Religion: (from http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Religion)

sometimes used interchangeably with faith or belief system—is commonly defined as belief concerning the supernatural, sacred, or divine; and the [b]moral codes, practices, values, institutions and rituals associated with such belief. In its broadest sense some have defined it as the sum total of an ...[text shortened]... to bind. Wiccans are bound by nothing. I would conclude that Wicca cannot be defined a religion.
    Wiccans are not bound by nothing. They are bound by the Law: "An Ye Harm None, Do What Ye Will," which comes from the Wiccan Rede.

[ http://www.wicca.com/celtic/wicca/rede.htm ]

Furthermore, the U.S. government recognizes it as a religion, therefore it can be defined as a religion. You might not like that it can be, but it can.
  15. Et in Arcadia ego...
    Moves
    11 Dec '05 01:36
    Originally posted by echecero
    [b]
    Ah get over it- we had drawn a lovy dovy conclusion before you came and started spouting shite.

If you think "An Ye Harm None, Do What Ye Will," is a complex moral code to rival the monotheistic religions of this world, then fair play to you.

If you think that if one can legally define something a "religion" to evade paying taxes to the government in th U.S. under U.S. law, that that makes it a religion, then well done, and fair play to you again.

And I quote from ye Olde Book of Anciente Wicca-y:

"An' ye speaky in ye phony Olde Englishy, to mayke ye people thinky ye have been aroundy for longer than since ye nineteen fifty four-y, giving ye average punter ye little credit for ye basic intelligence. ooo arrr. Whar's me spindle?"

I am "harming ye none" in thinking that you are taking "ye piss", and as I frankly think you might as well get on with it and "do what ye will", then "whare's the problem"? Am I not a model Wiccan?

sjeg

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree