1. Joined
    29 Dec '08
    Moves
    27 Jul '15 18:55
    Originally posted by sonship
    [b] I don't think about it in terms of objects. I believe we come to have moral duties by entering into associations with other moral agents and moral victims (entities that can suffer). Interconnections are made based on agreements to act according to agreed rules. According to the link I cited yesterday, we start with a reward/punishment moral theory (whic ...[text shortened]... timate power but the ultimate Authority to balance the moral scales according to [b]truth ?[/b]
    I don't believe a final and ultimate balancing happens. If I were to believe, I would probably be a universalist. I'd believe (or now hope I would believe) that everyone will be reunited in God. Eternal separation would not be just recompense for temporal existence in sin.

The social contract recognizes the subjective nature of people's interests. However it is not the ultimate level of moral development, in Kohlberg's thinking, and there has been further development of the theories, since Kohlberg.
  2. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    29 Jul '15 06:221 edit
    Originally posted by chaney3
    Wrong Rak. Most people fear sin......and have NO idea what sin is. I like your posts, but believe you are ignorant in Bible teaching......as most Christians are. You are ignorant Rak.
    How do you know "most people fear sin"? How do you know most people "have no idea what sin is"? What makes you think Rajk999 is "ignorant in Bible teaching"?

If I held up a metaphorical mirror, would you see yourself in these statements?
  3. SubscriberSuzianne
    Misfit Queen
    Isle of Misfit Toys
    Moves
    31 Jul '15 04:14
    I have read in numerous posts how Christians are SO willing to call themselves 'filthy sinners'......so that they BOAST the need for Jesus. What exactly is sin? To look at a woman's breasts and say 'wow'? What is sin.....and why.....WHY do humans relent to this sin?

God created us. God created us to enjoy women. What exactly is sin anyway? Why do hu ...[text shortened]... sinners'. What do we do to deserve an eternity of damnation? To look at boobs?

What is SIN?
    Get thee to a church, young man.
  4. Standard memberRJHinds
    The Near Genius
    Fort Gordon
    Moves
    31 Jul '15 18:41
    I have read in numerous posts how Christians are SO willing to call themselves 'filthy sinners'......so that they BOAST the need for Jesus. What exactly is sin? To look at a woman's breasts and say 'wow'? What is sin.....and why.....WHY do humans relent to this sin?

God created us. God created us to enjoy women. What exactly is sin anyway? Why do hu ...[text shortened]... sinners'. What do we do to deserve an eternity of damnation? To look at boobs?

What is SIN?
    You are lusting after women's boobs? For shame !
  5. Standard memberGrampy Bobby
    Boston Lad
    USA
    Moves
    27 Aug '15 12:36
    Originally posted by Landisqueen170
    So many of these posts & threads make me just plain sad. I don't get the name-calling, the insults and the anger. A great majority of us, I would venture to say, struggle with questions of faith and religion...does any of us really know the answers to these really difficult questions? I don't think so. That is where "faith" comes in. By definition, it me ...[text shortened]... a healthy debate or discussion for mean-spiritness or a lack of respect towards others' viewpoints.
    Thank you.
  6. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    27 Aug '15 14:24
    Another FALSE Christian. Rajk999 seems to think that insulting other posters is okay with God. You will be in hell, I guess. Because YOU don't know what is sin.
    So you figure insulting people is a sin and would result in some action by your god, but what about the 100 MILLION people killed by despots in WW2, where many of them were Christian but nothing from your god.

Why is that?
  7. Hmmm . . .
    Moves
    27 Aug '15 21:172 edits
    Both the Hebrew and the Greek words translated as “sin” mean to miss the mark—generally, error or failure of any kind—including, but not limited to, moral failure. Context would have to decide.

Unfortunately, the English word sin apparently has a root meaning of “guilty”. “It is not altogether clear what its ultimate origins were, but it has been linked with Latin sons ‘guilty’, and also with English sooth ‘truth’ and Sanskrit satya ‘real, true’, as if its ancestral meaning were ‘(truly) guilty’.” [John Ayto, Dictionary of Word Origins.]

So, it appears that choosing the English word “sin” to translate chata and hamartia may have been more of a theological choice than a strictly linguistic one. But chata, for example, is used as follows in Judges 20:16—

Judges 20:16 Of all this force, there were seven hundred picked men who were left-handed; every one could sling a stone at a hair, and not miss.

And Proverbs 19:2 Desire without knowledge is not good, and one who moves too hurriedly misses the way.

EDIT:

In the Greek Orthodox churches, apparently, “sin” is also seen as closely related to illusion—

“Sin (hamartia): the primary meaning of the Greek word is ‘failure’ or, more specifically, ‘failure to hit the mark’, a ‘going astray or, ultimately, ‘failure to achieve the purpose for which one is created’. It is closely related, therefore, to illusion (q.v.). The translation ‘sin’ should be read with these connotations in mind.”

And: “Illusion (plani): in our version sometimes also translated as ‘delusion’. Literally, wandering astray, deflection from the right path,; hence error, beguilement, the acceptance of a mirage mistaken for truth. Cf. the literal sense of sin (q.v.) as ‘missing the mark’.

From the translators’ Glossary to The Philokalia.
  8. R
    Standard memberRemoved
    Moves
    27 Aug '15 21:49
    Originally posted by vistesd
    Both the Hebrew and the Greek words translated as “sin” mean to miss the mark—generally, error or failure of any kind—including, but not limited to, moral failure. Context would have to decide.

Unfortunately, the English word sin apparently has a root meaning of “guilty”. “It is not altogether clear what its ultimate origins were, but it has been linked ...[text shortened]... f sin (q.v.) as ‘missing the mark’.

From the translators’ Glossary to The Philokalia.
    Thank you, it is basically what I said on page 2....but thanks for adding the 2 scriptures...🙂
  9. Hmmm . . .
    Moves
    27 Aug '15 21:56
    Originally posted by checkbaiter
    Thank you, it is basically what I said on page 2....but thanks for adding the 2 scriptures...🙂
    Yeah, I literally spun off of your post--I should've given you attribution for that. 😳
  10. R
    Standard memberRemoved
    Moves
    27 Aug '15 21:58
    Yeah, I literally spun off of your post--I should've given you attribution for that. 😳
    No need, just thought you missed it.. 🙂
  11. Hmmm . . .
    Moves
    27 Aug '15 22:05
    Originally posted by checkbaiter
    No need, just thought you missed it.. 🙂
    It takes me awhile to research some of this stuff, and sometimes I just get lost in the process. Recently, I even posted in the wrong thread . . . . 🙂
  12. R
    Standard memberRemoved
    Moves
    27 Aug '15 22:12
    It takes me awhile to research some of this stuff, and sometimes I just get lost in the process. Recently, I even posted in the wrong thread . . . . 🙂
    Ive done the same thing, then was accused of a double post, Hah!
  13. R
    Standard memberRemoved
    Moves
    11 Sep '15 00:431 edit
    Humans do these kinds of things as moral monsters.
    This is what humans do.

Clay B Jones: Killing the Canaanites Was Justified Capital Punishment

YouTube
  14. Standard memberGrampy Bobby
    Boston Lad
    USA
    Moves
    11 Sep '15 02:12

God created us. God created us to enjoy women. What exactly is sin anyway? Why do human ...[text shortened]... thy sinners'. What do we do to deserve an eternity of damnation? To look at boobs?

What is SIN?
    "What is SIN?"

Any and all covert and overt human behaviors with violate God's righteous standard; however, sin is not the issue which is accepting or rejecting God's grace gift [absolutely free with no strings attached because Christ paid the price during His substitutionary spiritual death/separation from God the Father during the final three hours of His crucifixion at Golgotha Hill nearly 2,000 years ago on our behalf] of salvation and eternal life.
  15. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    11 Sep '15 02:21
    Originally posted by Grampy Bobby
    Any and all covert and overt human behaviors with violate God's righteous standard; however, sin is not the issue which is accepting or rejecting God's grace gift [absolutely free with no strings attached because Christ paid the price during His substitutionary spiritual death/separation from God the Father during the final three hours of His crucifixion at Golgotha Hill nearly 2,000 years ago on our behalf] of salvation and eternal life.

Do you believe that the "sins" you haven't committed yet are already forgiven?

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree