1. At the Revolution
    Moves
    22 Jul '08 13:57
    Originally posted by PsychoPawn

Actually, they weren't as flawless as you think.

Umm... when did I say they were anywhere close to flawless? Please quote when I did.

Einstein conceived of the atomic bomb and supported the ethnic cleansing of Palestine.

He did and he did so because he believed it would save lives in the end. He also regretted it.

As for the second part, I have to call B.S. unless you can provide a credible source.
    Umm... when did I say they were anywhere close to flawless? Please quote when I did.

They are remembered for their contribution to humanity.

[Einstein did conceive of the atomic bomb] and he did so because he believed it would save lives in the end. He also regretted it.

He knew exactly the power of the bomb.

As for the second part, I have to call B.S. unless you can provide a credible source.

He was a devout leader of the Zionist movement and was offered the post of President of Israel.
  2. Joined
    31 May '06
    Moves
    22 Jul '08 14:01
    Nothing happens after you die... It would be very boring if you were around to experience it.
  3. Standard memberScriabin
    Done Asking
    Washington, D.C.
    Moves
    22 Jul '08 15:52
    Has anyone who has posted in this thread lost a family member? If so, how long ago?
  4. At the Revolution
    Moves
    22 Jul '08 16:52
    Originally posted by Scriabin
    Has anyone who has posted in this thread lost a family member? If so, how long ago?
    My grandmother, 7 years ago.
  5. Joined
    06 May '05
    Moves
    22 Jul '08 17:391 edit
    Originally posted by scherzo

[Einstein did conceive of the atomic bomb] and he did so because he believed it would save lives in the end. He also regretted it.

As for the second part, I have to call B.S. unless you can provide a credible
    He was a devout leader of the Zionist movement and was offered the post of President of Israel.

I agree. You said that they weren't perfect - implying that I suggested that, I didn't.

He did, yes. That doesn't contradict anything that I said.

He was a devout leader of the Zionist movement and was offered the post of President of Israel

I did some basic research on this and none of it suggests that he was a "devout leader of the zionist movement", in fact it seems to suggeset he supported parts of it and didn't support others.

Considering the vast different definitions of "zionist" I've seen I'm not sure which you are particularly using, but many don't require support of ethnic cleansing.

He was offered the post of President of Israel. That also does not mean that he supported ethnic cleansing.
  6. Standard memberblack beetle
    Black Beastie
    Scheveningen
    Moves
    22 Jul '08 18:55
    edit: "What happens to you after you die?"

Well, where you 've been before you were born?

Hi dear Scriabin, very sorry to read at a thread over here that you lost your son; recently my father died, but I 've lost at least 10 great friends due to various traffic accidents (used to be motorcycle testman once upon a time, these friends were killed while testing; I also had two heavy crashes that made me many pieces of skin carefully stiched together, and mu doctors still cannot believe that I 'm able to walk normally).
    Death is always devastating, impossible to cope with it although I know a liitle about it
  7. At the Revolution
    Moves
    22 Jul '08 20:481 edit

I agree. You said that they weren't perfect - implying that I suggested that, I didn't.

He did, yes. That doesn't contradict anything that I said.

[i]He was a devout leader of the Zionist movement and was offered the post of Preside t of President of Israel. That also does not mean that he supported ethnic cleansing.
    [/i]All right. I overreacted. I apologize.
  8. Standard memberScriabin
    Done Asking
    Washington, D.C.
    Moves
    22 Jul '08 21:501 edit
    Originally posted by black beetle
    edit: "What happens to you after you die?"

Well, where you 've been before you were born?

Hi dear Scriabin, very sorry to read at a thread over here that you lost your son; recently my father died, but I 've lost at least 10 great friends due to various traffic accidents (used to be motorcycle testman once upon a time, these friends were killed wh
    Death is always devastating, impossible to cope with it although I know a liitle about it
    well, my point in asking was to be able to say that the question posed for this thread is a waste of time for those who have not had to cope with the loss of someone very close and very dear to them.

There is, of course, the tremendous emotional shock and long lasting damage they call the grieving process.

But I've learned something important in my 60 years about the end of life.

When my father died, he made his views clear to me about his experience and what he expected. First, he told me not to spend any significant amount of money on his funeral "because I won't be there and it won't matter to me." He was a scientist and thought what he was and who he was entirely existed as an electrical field contained in the colloidial tissues of his brain. Once that brain ceased and the field and his consciousness was permanently terminated, he believed nothing of himself would remain -- he simply would cease to exist. That's a very tough point of view to take and even tougher to reconcile to. Yet he wasn't the least bit afraid, just disappointed at missing out on more years playing with his grandchildren and watching baseball, among other pursuits. You might say he was rather matter of fact about dying.

But I learned that he did not, in a very real sense as far as I'm concerned, cease to exist. He is here with me now. I hear his voice all the time. I know what he thinks. He comes to me in dreams now and then and we sit as we used to in the summer outside and talk things over. I am guided to a great extent by my father every day.

I will not address the issue of my son here -- but I will say that it is much the same. He is with me and always shall be.

That is all to which I can attest of my own knowledge and experience. I leave it to others to interpret that as they may.

What happens to you after you die? You take up residence in the hearts and minds of those you loved and who loved you. If there is anything more than that, I cannot say. And as Wittgenstein once said, that of which we cannot know we should not speak. Why? because to do so is a waste of breath and time.
  9. Standard memberAThousandYoung
    or different places
    tinyurl.com/2tp8tyx8
    Moves
    22 Jul '08 22:042 edits
    Originally posted by scherzo
    Einstein...supported the ethnic cleansing of Palestine.
    What?! He turned down the Presidency and was in favor of cooperation with the local Muslim peoples.
  10. Standard memberAThousandYoung
    or different places
    tinyurl.com/2tp8tyx8
    Moves
    22 Jul '08 22:06
    Originally posted by Badwater
    No one knows. Anyone who claims to know is a liar.

Any kind of belief system is in the dark on this one - God, no God, afterlife, no afterlife, whatever; no one knows. This is why the theist and athiest are on the same turf with this question. They may not like it and will bitch and moans, but they are.
    Nope. The atheist actually looks at dead people, and living people, and figures out the correlations between nerve impulses and conciousness, etc, and then makes his call. The theist does not.
  11. Standard memberAThousandYoung
    or different places
    tinyurl.com/2tp8tyx8
    Moves
    22 Jul '08 22:07
    Originally posted by SmoothCowboy
    Do you really want to take that chance and just hope there is nothing there?
    There are an infinite number of possibilities. There's no way to know if we can't figure it out scientifically. The bible says X is good, well maybe X is bad and will lead to Hell, there's no way to know.
  12. Standard memberAThousandYoung
    or different places
    tinyurl.com/2tp8tyx8
    Moves
    22 Jul '08 22:101 edit
  13. Standard memberblack beetle
    Black Beastie
    Scheveningen
    Moves
    23 Jul '08 03:39
    Originally posted by Scriabin
    well, my point in asking was to be able to say that the question posed for this thread is a waste of time for those who have not had to cope with the loss of someone very close and very dear to them.

There is, of course, the tremendous emotional shock and long lasting damage they call the grieving process.

But I've learned something important in m ...[text shortened]... we cannot know we should not speak. Why? because to do so is a waste of breath and time.
    rgr;
  14. Joined
    08 Jan '07
    Moves
    23 Jul '08 03:55
    Aaaah Pascal's wager!

What god do we take a chance on?

Do you think god cares if you "believe" just to get in?
    You have until you die to decide.😉
  15. At the Revolution
    Moves
    23 Jul '08 14:19
    Originally posted by AThousandYoung
    What?! He turned down the Presidency and was in favor of cooperation with the local Muslim peoples.
    But, the million dollar question:

Did he turn down the presidency because he dissented against the new Israeli fascist regime?

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree