Please turn on javascript in your browser to play chess.
Spirituality

Spirituality

  1. 09 Mar '05 12:59
    WHAT HAS GOD DONE TO YOU?

    IF GOD WAS SOOOOOOOO GOOD WHY DO PEOPLE SUFFER!
  2. Standard member KellyJay
    Walk your Faith
    09 Mar '05 15:04
    Originally posted by vhouckham
    WHAT HAS GOD DONE TO YOU?

    IF GOD WAS SOOOOOOOO GOOD WHY DO PEOPLE SUFFER!
    God has given us:
    1. Our lives
    2. Our abilities to make our lives what we can in this universe,
    3. Given us a universe that covers our basic needs.
    4. Given us the ability to have a relationship with God Himself.
    5. Helps us in times of trouble.
    6. Promises us many things
    the list is long and good.

    The list is not in order of importance.

    As far as suffering goes, basically we cause most of it ourselves.
    We are also the ones pushing ourselves away from God more times
    than not. We are living in a cursed world because of our actions,
    and desires. This could be a long post but this is but a small part
    of it.
    Kelly
  3. 09 Mar '05 15:24 / 1 edit
    Originally posted by KellyJay
    God has given us:
    1. Our lives
    2. Our abilities to make our lives what we can in this universe,
    3. Given us a universe that covers our basic needs.
    4. Given us the ability to have a relationship with God Himself.
    5. Helps us in times ...[text shortened]... s could be a long post but this is but a small part
    of it.
    Kelly
    Why?

    Why has he bothered with all this then?
    Is this meant to be a test? if we all started in heaven then why did he put us here on earth and rock the boat? So some of us will end up in hell?

    Why bother with the earth and this test if we could all just party away up in heaven. Did he do a deal with lucifer to give him some souls too so this is the agreed testing ground to determine who gets lucky? Who gets on the team vs whose left on the bench
  4. Standard member Alcra
    Lazy Sod
    09 Mar '05 15:36
    Originally posted by KellyJay
    God has given us:
    1. Our lives
    2. Our abilities to make our lives what we can in this universe,
    3. Given us a universe that covers our basic needs.
    4. Given us the ability to have a relationship with God Himself.
    5. Helps us in times of trouble.
    6. Promises us many things
    the list is long and good.

    The list is not in order of importance.

    As fa ...[text shortened]... our actions,
    and desires. This could be a long post but this is but a small part
    of it.
    Kelly
    I think the question was TO not FOR.

    i.e. What has god done TO you.

    See the difference?

  5. Standard member Darfius
    The Apologist
    09 Mar '05 15:50
    Originally posted by dk3nny
    Why?

    Why has he bothered with all this then?
    Is this meant to be a test? if we all started in heaven then why did he put us here on earth and rock the boat? So some of us will end up in hell?

    Why bother with the earth and this test if we could all just party away up in heaven. Did he do a deal with lucifer to give him some souls too so this is the agreed testing ground to determine who gets lucky? Who gets on the team vs whose left on the bench
    Love. That was His driving force.

    It can get pretty lonely being the only being in all of existence.

    Earth is our test to see if our love is true or coerced.
  6. Donation rwingett
    Ming the Merciless
    09 Mar '05 15:51
    Originally posted by Darfius
    Love. That was His driving force.

    It can get pretty lonely being the only being in all of existence.

    Earth is our test to see if our love is true or coerced.
    Is a perfect being capable of feeling lonliness?
  7. Standard member Darfius
    The Apologist
    09 Mar '05 15:53
    Originally posted by rwingett
    Is a perfect being capable of feeling lonliness?
    Does being lonely make one less perfect?
  8. 09 Mar '05 15:55
    Originally posted by Darfius
    Love. That was His driving force.

    It can get pretty lonely being the only being in all of existence.

    Earth is our test to see if our love is true or coerced.
    Hmmm,

    So you're saying there reason we're here is cos God got lonely and wanted us to prove our love by suffering down here on earth?

    Seems a bit sadistic to me.
  9. Standard member Darfius
    The Apologist
    09 Mar '05 16:03
    Originally posted by dk3nny
    Hmmm,

    So you're saying there reason we're here is cos God got lonely and wanted us to prove our love by suffering down here on earth?

    Seems a bit sadistic to me.
    I'm not suffering. Are you?
  10. 09 Mar '05 16:04
    Originally posted by Darfius
    Does being lonely make one less perfect?
    You know the mind of God?

    Interesting!
  11. Standard member Darfius
    The Apologist
    09 Mar '05 16:06
    Originally posted by eagles54
    You know the mind of God?

    Interesting!
    You can to. Open the Bible.
  12. 09 Mar '05 16:10
    Originally posted by Darfius
    You can to. Open the Bible.
    God has revealed his loneliness to you in the bible?
  13. 09 Mar '05 16:10
    Originally posted by Darfius
    I'm not suffering. Are you?
    Maybe you aren't but there sure as hell is a lot of people who are..

    Do you know whats happening in Sudan, DRC (Congo) and Iraq at the moment? I was at a talk recently with a woman from the DRC who was telling us about the mass rapes, the rampant murder etc etc..

    I think these poor people would have prefered to be left in heaven no, or do you still believe that just cos God was loney this is all caused?

    Besides, i refute your claim to know the inner thoughts of God any better than me or anyone else.
  14. 09 Mar '05 16:14 / 1 edit
    Originally posted by Darfius
    Does being lonely make one less perfect?
    Now that is an interesting question, on a lot of levels. (It's an old theological debate, of course, whether or not God can feel, be moved by passion, etc. I think it might go back to the Greeks: that a prefect being must be "impassable and immovable." (Maybe Nemesio can help with the history here.)

    Anyway, it's a deep question, whether we apply it to God or to ourselves (i.e., how to we measure our own "imperfections"?), especially if expanded perhaps:

    Does feeling _________ make one less perfect (whole, etc.)?
  15. 09 Mar '05 16:23
    Originally posted by Darfius
    I'm not suffering. Are you?
    The world is beseiged by unspeakable inhumanity on a daily basis and this doesn't gnaw at a shred of compassion somewhere within you?