1. Donationbuckky
    Filthy sinner
    Outskirts of bliss
    Moves
    08 Apr '09 23:08
    Originally posted by twhitehead
    But are you saying that the average heathen is not a decent hard working person? I notice that you mentioned excessive drinking as 'bad behavior'. All the Muslims I have met do not drink at all as a matter of religion - in fact they say they are not allowed to invest in any business that sells alcohol.
    Muslims blow the Christians out of the water when it comes to clean living. So do Buddhest monks, and Hindhu holy men. Actually Christians are at the bottom of the clean living pile especially Catholics.
  2. Account suspended
    Moves
    08 Apr '09 23:13
    Originally posted by buckky
    Muslims blow the Christians out of the water when it comes to clean living. So do Buddhest monks, and Hindhu holy men. Actually Christians are at the bottom of the clean living pile especially Catholics.
    i dunno, i had a Muslim friend, who visited massage parlors regularly, used to get bottles of vodka from his fathers shop, as well as huge cigars and cigarettes and crash them out to everyone, though, i think its as much a matter of culture rather than religion, don't you think?
  3. Donationbuckky
    Filthy sinner
    Outskirts of bliss
    Moves
    08 Apr '09 23:48
    Originally posted by robbie carrobie
    i dunno, i had a Muslim friend, who visited massage parlors regularly, used to get bottles of vodka from his fathers shop, as well as huge cigars and cigarettes and crash them out to everyone, though, i think its as much a matter of culture rather than religion, don't you think?
    A wayward Muslim is a sad sight. Stumbling around with his turbin half hanging off. You must be right. All religions can go sour. All humans can go sour.
  4. Account suspended
    Moves
    09 Apr '09 00:413 edits
    A wayward Muslim is a sad sight. Stumbling around with his turbin half hanging off. You must be right. All religions can go sour. All humans can go sour.
    oh Buccky, my friend, it is Sikhs who wear turbans, never the less, what i am saying is that there are just as many say, virtuous Pakistani Christians as there are virtuous Pakistani Muslims, however when brought up in a different culture, say in the U.K., the cultural aspects come to the fore, thus you get skimpily dressed Muslim girls in the UK, but not in Pakistan, not in Public anyway, thus the immediate culture has a large effect on the conduct of a person. saying that, and although i am loathe to agree with thinkofone, spit ding! for many their religious observance are just a facade, take Saudi Arabia for example, they have morality police, yet every vice is available there, yes everything, girls, alcohol, you name it! take for example my friend from Ghana, he worked for the Ghanaian government here in Glasgow as a biochemical research engineer, he would not bring his children here because of the culture, thus its the cultural aspects that i would say have a profound effect on a person, this and parental example and their disposition towards morality or otherwise.
  5. Standard memberScriabin
    Done Asking
    Washington, D.C.
    Moves
    09 Apr '09 01:52
    actually Muslims are also very hard working and conscientious! not being given to drinking alcohol to excess either!
    Read
    "Three Cups of Tea" about Greg Mortenson. I've learned more about Pakistan and Afghanistan and Muslims from this book than from many another source.

And I agree with Mortenson's answer to the problem of radical Saudi-financed Islamicism: educate girls.

I think that would work in any culture in the world. Educate the girls and get out of their way as they advance to higher things. Whether any man wants to admit it or not, and I speak after 39 years of marriage to the same woman, nothing but an intelligent, educated woman keeps men as focused on fixing things up, cleaning things, building things, learning things, raising and growing kids and plants, and keeping as busy as only she can make them working on a better life.

You want to be a good Christian, or a good Jew, or just good? Send Money to Greg Mortenson so more secular schools that educate girls, not just boys, can be built instead of all those Saudi-backed madrassas that turn out Taliban fighters.
  6. Cape Town
    Moves
    09 Apr '09 05:01
    As far as I know Islam has nothing against smoking. Certainly here in Cape Town many Muslims smoke.
    Although some Muslims I have talked to admit to drinking as teenagers, the main reason they do not drink now is religion. Islam is very clear on drinking and as a result most Muslims do not drink. I do not think it is a cultural thing. The Muslims here in Cape Town have quite a variety of cultures.
  7. Cape Town
    Moves
    09 Apr '09 05:07
    Originally posted by Scriabin
    Read
    "Three Cups of Tea" about Greg Mortenson. I've learned more about Pakistan and Afghanistan and Muslims from this book than from many another source.

And I agree with Mortenson's answer to the problem of radical Saudi-financed Islamicism: educate girls.

I think that would work in any culture in the world. Educate the girls and get out of their ...[text shortened]... ys, can be built instead of all those Saudi-backed madrassas that turn out Taliban fighters.
    I always believed that the US would have done better to put all their billions spent on war in Iraq and Afghanistan into education - and later invest in those countries. If the average Iraqi saw the US as the main reason for his education and success in life etc he would not have any reason for terrorism.
  8. Account suspended
    Moves
    09 Apr '09 08:561 edit
    Originally posted by Scriabin
    Read

I think that would work in any culture in the world. Educate the girls and get out of their ...[text shortened]... ys, can be built instead of all those Saudi-backed madrassas that turn out Taliban fighters.
    how incredibly interesting, I did look up the book my friend and one must admire the mans conviction, but if the Taliban come to an area, the schools get closed and the girls stay home, there have been not a few cases of acid being thrown on the girls for attending schools, resulting in sever disfigurement. it is an understatement, that sometimes you are better off being a chicken than a women in Pakistan culture, for at least you will be prized. look in the newspapers, the most common form of female death, other than natural causes, domestic violence. the girls just happen to be wearing their 'dubutta', a scarf, when cooking, which just always manages to catch fire, this coupled with so called 'honor killings', abduction, suicide, rape and domestic violence make Pakistan a dangerous place for a women!

there is no question, women are amazing!
  9. THORNINYOURSIDE
    Moves
    09 Apr '09 12:47
    Christian for the most part try to live a better life, and are more trustworthy than the average heathen. I worked at a recording studio in Kansas City a few ago, and for commercial work dealing with ad agency people Christian musicians were brought in almost exclusively because they could be counted on to show up, and be civilized with the client. Other musi ...[text shortened]... them better employees. They might have some wacked out ideas in things but are great workers.
    How many of the heavy drinkers and drug users were also Christians or do NO Christians drink heavily or take drugs?

Why were the heavy drinkers and drug users not given the opportunity to work, especially being better musicians, but were judged beforehand that they would mess up?

How does being Christian make you a better employee or more trustworthy?

Nepotism rules.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree