What I like about Christians

What I like about Christians

Spirituality

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Moves
08 Apr 09
1 edit

Originally posted by buckky
Christian for the most part try to live a better life, and are more trustworthy than the average heathen.
Oh really. You know a lot of average heathens do you?

Are you using the word heathen to include everyone that is not Christian or are you talking about a particular group?

Moves
08 Apr 09
2 edits

Originally posted by whodey
I think a more interesting question is, is the world a better place because of Christianity? For example, is society a better place because of it? Examples might include figures such as Ghandi and Martin Luther King employing Christ like approaches to protest. Another example might be that a great deal of knowledge written down in antiquity was saved for future generations due to the efforts by monks etc.
It's impossible to answer that question because we have no idea what would have happened had Christianity not swept through Europe.

In regards to monks recording knowledge. That's great. I'm truly grateful that some of the information about pre-Christian beliefs and knowledge was preserved. But it is also pertinent to remember that if Christianity hadn't sought to destroy heathen culture, beliefs, and knowledge in the first place then perhaps there would have been no need for a select few to preserve it.

Moves
08 Apr 09

Now to respond to the original question.

Really the only thing I like about Christianity is the monastic aspect of it. I believe that the monastic orders in Europe did advance literacy and they also perfected the art of brewing beer for which I am forever grateful.

b
Filthy sinner

Outskirts of bliss

Moves
08 Apr 09

Originally posted by Ullr
Oh really. You know a lot of average heathens do you?

Are you using the word heathen to include everyone that is not Christian or are you talking about a particular group?
All non Christians are heathen. The Hell bound bunch used to known as the "Swinging Heathen". I have heard them called simply Dirt Bags, but I think that is just an expression that comes from the southern part of the U.S.

b
Filthy sinner

Outskirts of bliss

Moves
08 Apr 09

Originally posted by ThinkOfOne
It's been my experience that while Christians are generally conscientious about the appearance of propriety, it is also generally a facade. Underneath the veneer, they are no more moral than non-Christians. Many are what Jesus called "wolves in sheep's clothing". In fact, the most dishonest people I have come across have all been Christians. Has this not been your experience?
I've known some slimy Christians in my day, but the average Joe Blow Christian seems to be a decent hard working person that is trying to pull in the reins a little bit on gross behavoir. Everybody might want to try, and not be totally self consumed. It makes the world a nicer place to hang out on.

Cape Town

Moves
08 Apr 09

I've known some slimy Christians in my day, but the average Joe Blow Christian seems to be a decent hard working person that is trying to pull in the reins a little bit on gross behavoir. Everybody might want to try, and not be totally self consumed. It makes the world a nicer place to hang out on.
But are you saying that the average heathen is not a decent hard working person? I notice that you mentioned excessive drinking as 'bad behavior'. All the Muslims I have met do not drink at all as a matter of religion - in fact they say they are not allowed to invest in any business that sells alcohol.

Moves
08 Apr 09

All non Christians are heathen. The Hell bound bunch used to known as the "Swinging Heathen". I have heard them called simply Dirt Bags, but I think that is just an expression that comes from the southern part of the U.S.
Okay well at least I know what your definition of the word heathen is then. The only reason I asked you to qualify is that there is a specific group of people out there today that refer to themselves specifically as heathen. They are follows of the pre-Christian Germanic and Scandinavian religions. Otherwise known as Asatru.

Using my definition of heathen I can say from experience that I know a lot of Heathens (using my definition) and I know a lot of Christians (since I was raised to be one) and I wholeheartedly disagree with your assesment that the average Christian is more trustworthy than the average Heathen.

But if I were to use your very broad definition of the word heathen (i.e. all non-Christians) then I might agree with you since there are a lot of untrustworthy people out there. Although here in the US most of these untrustworthy characters at least claim to be Christian.

A
The 'edit'or

converging to it

Moves
08 Apr 09

Okay well at least I know what your definition of the word heathen is then. The only reason I asked you to qualify is that there is a specific group of people out there today that refer to themselves specifically as heathen. They are follows of the pre-Christian Germanic and Scandinavian religions. Otherwise known as Asatru.

Using my definition of heathen ...[text shortened]... Although here in the US most of these untrustworthy characters at least claim to be Christian.
cue no true Scotsman retort 😛

Moves
08 Apr 09

Originally posted by Agerg
cue no true Scotsman retort 😛
I wish I could say I understood what that means.

A
The 'edit'or

converging to it

Moves
08 Apr 09

I wish I could say I understood what that means.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/No_true_Scotsman 🙂

Moves
08 Apr 09

Originally posted by Agerg
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/No_true_Scotsman 🙂
Okay that makes sense. Got it. Thanks.

S
Caninus Interruptus

Moves
08 Apr 09

Christian for the most part try to live a better life, and are more trustworthy than the average heathen. I worked at a recording studio in Kansas City a few ago, and for commercial work dealing with ad agency people Christian musicians were brought in almost exclusively because they could be counted on to show up, and be civilized with the client. Other musi ...[text shortened]... them better employees. They might have some wacked out ideas in things but are great workers.
Can't help but wonder if the more skilled secular musicians are generally more successful, and thus less dependent on ad gigs.

I admire someone who can work for themselves and make money more than someone who must submit to the will of some company and its expectations on everything.

rc

Moves
08 Apr 09

Originally posted by Swlabr
The opposite side can also be argued. For instance, it was Christians who burned down the library at Alexandria, destroying the "pagan" knowledge.

However, I think a Christian should be trying to live a good life (out of love for others, not out of greed/power/self righteousness), and, certainly those that I know, are, on the whole, "good" people, much lik ...[text shortened]... tly) forced to? What about the crusades, and the power-wielding crazed popes of yesteryear?
actually if you do your research, you will find that there are four possibilities for the reason why the Library burned down, two by 'pagan emperors', one by a 'christian emporer' and one by Muslims!

P

Moves
08 Apr 09

"They will be judged by the law written in thier heart" - bible, new testiment

P

Moves
08 Apr 09

Originally posted by Pudgenik
"They will be judged by the law written in thier heart" - bible, new testiment
Repeating what I said earlier, but let me give you food for thought, " For those who know the law, they will be judged by the law, and for those who do not know the law, they will be judged by the law written in thier hearts." Paul was taking about all who are not christain, "who do not know the law". Just because you read scripture, and hear your pastors speak doesn't mean you also "know" the mind of God. He loves All. and He loves those who don't know him too. If not, how is it you became a christain? You do not find Him, He finds you!!!!!