1. Not Kansas
    Moves
    05 Jun '05 03:17
    Originally posted by RBHILL
    I could careless, I have the truth and Christ has set me free of my paranioa and addictions.
    You should care. Presenting other people's work as your own is stealing, and of course, thou shalt not steal.
    It only takes a minute to give a link.
    For example, in your first post in this thread, you might have written an introductory paragraph to the work copied, said something to the effect that you thought this writer made a good point that you agreed with, something like that.
    Then paste his work and after that, paste the link.
  2. Standard memberRBHILL
    Acts 13:48
    California
    Moves
    05 Jun '05 03:41
    Originally posted by KneverKnight
    You should care. Presenting other people's work as your own is stealing, and of course, thou shalt not steal.
    It only takes a minute to give a link.
    For example, in your first post in this thread, you might have written an introductory paragraph to the work copied, said something to the effect that you thought this writer made a good point that you agreed with, something like that.
    Then paste his work and after that, paste the link.
    But, huh see I was not trying to make money off of it.

But yes, I could see it as stealing and that is why Jesus died for my sin there and I have accepted that.
    Now have you ever accepted him for the sins of stealing that you have done?
  3. Standard membertelerion
    True X X Xian
    The Lord's Army
    Moves
    05 Jun '05 03:45
    I could careless, I have the truth and Christ has set me free of my paranioa and addictions.
    Who gives wrecks for willful plagerism? Call me elitist, but we are not on par with these people.
  4. Not Kansas
    Moves
    05 Jun '05 03:47

But yes, I could see it as stealing and that is why Jesus died for my sin there and I have accepted that.
    Money has nothing to do with it; it's just dishonest.
    I'm not going to get into a biggie about repentance with you, but ask yourself if repenting has anything to do with changing your behavior.
    Will you try to pass off other people's work as your own again?
  5. Standard membertelerion
    True X X Xian
    The Lord's Army
    Moves
    05 Jun '05 03:51

Wow! So you're forgiven for all the future sins that you commit. Ever think about being a hitman? abortion doctor? child sex slave trader? You could make a lot of money guilt-free. You could even donate it to missionaries who spread the Good News overseas. After all, what's the life of one 8-year-old boy compared to winning eternal souls for Christ? The kid hasn't probably even reached the age of accountability. And heck if he has just get him saved!

Another question:

Would it have been wrong for me to have presented my Schopenhauer quote as my own work?
  6. Joined
    24 Apr '05
    Moves
    05 Jun '05 03:54

KneverKnight is right -- you should acknowledge your sources.

why do you think the definition of a 'cult' should have anything at all to do explicitly with xtianity? i don't see that. why have you narrowed the definition of a cult in this way?

whatever...just quote your sources.
  7. Standard memberRBHILL
    Acts 13:48
    California
    Moves
    05 Jun '05 04:55
    But Like always you guys try to get of the topic of the Thread.
    Whether it is cut and past or not who cares.
  8. Joined
    24 Apr '05
    Moves
    05 Jun '05 05:021 edit
    i actually do care, believe it or not. i think you are wrong to think that your failure to properly cite another's words is no big deal.

but if you want to stay on topic, then just answer my question above. why are you narrowing the definition of 'cult' so that it is inextricably linked specifically to christianity? do you have a reason for doing that, or are you being arbitrary with your definitions?

after all, the topic is called 'what is a cult?'
  9. Not Kansas
    Moves
    05 Jun '05 05:10
    The question is not of cut and paste, but of presenting someone else's work as one's own.
    Presenting someone else's work as one's own invalidates the thread because of the theft of ideas that occur.
    You can't build a house with stolen lumber, because of "Thou Shalt Not Steal"
    The house is not yours.
    This thread is not yours for the same reason.
  10. Standard memberColetti
    W.P. Extraordinaire
    State of Franklin
    Moves
    05 Jun '05 05:101 edit
    Originally posted by LemonJello
    i actually do care, believe it or not. i think you are wrong to think that your failure to properly cite another's words is no big deal.

but if you want to stay on topic, then just answer my question above. why are you narrowing th ...[text shortened]... or doing that, or are you being arbitrary with your definitions?
    Being that he is a Christian, and a fundamental doctrine of Christianity is that Christ is the one and only means of salvation, and the Bible is God's word, then RB's definition makes sense. It may not be the only definition that works, but it makes complete sense for an Evangelical or Reformed Christian.
  11. Standard memberColetti
    W.P. Extraordinaire
    State of Franklin
    Moves
    05 Jun '05 05:17
    Originally posted by KneverKnight
    The question is not of cut and paste, but of presenting someone else's work as one's own.
    Presenting someone else's work as one's own invalidates the thread because of the theft of ideas that occur.
    You can't build a house with stolen lumber, because of "Thou Shalt Not Steal"
    The house is not yours.
    This thread is not yours for the same reason.
    I agree one should give a citation when pasting a quote - but that does not in any way invalidate what was posted.

Besides, half the time you give somebody a birthday card, you are presenting the sentiments written on the card as your own. It is not dishonest if you are in total agreement with the words and the person receiving it can see that the text was composed by someone else.
  12. Standard memberPhlabibit
    Mystic Meg
    tinyurl.com/3sbbwd4
    Moves
    05 Jun '05 05:21
    Originally posted by Coletti
    I agree one should give a citation when pasting a quote - but that does not in any way invalidate what was posted.

Besides, half the time you give somebody a birthday card, you are presenting the sentiments written on the card as your own. It is not dishonest if you are in total agreement with the words and the person receiving it can see that the text was composed by someone else.
    The back of the card says 'Halmark'. RBHill has cut and pasted without giving a link to where he got it.

You may have seen me past strange news in general forum, I add a link... and not just so you can read the rest of the story.

ES
  13. Not Kansas
    Moves
    05 Jun '05 05:231 edit

Besides, half the time you give somebody a birthday card, you are presenting the sentiments written on the card as your ...[text shortened]... n receiving it can see that the text was composed by someone else.
    Sending a birthday card is not plagiarism. Presenting someone else's works as your own is.
    EDIT what Plabibit said, the card has a "link"
    The sender of the card agrees with the words in the card, which express a sentiment, but is not trying to pass off the poetry as his/her own.
  14. Joined
    24 Apr '05
    Moves
    05 Jun '05 05:31
    Being that he is a Christian, and a fundamental doctrine of Christianity is that Christ is the one and only means of salvation, and the Bible is God's word, then RB's definition makes sense. It may not be the only definition that works, but it makes complete sense for an Evangelical or Reformed Christian.
    yes, your reply is sensible, and RB's definition is also sensible in such a context.

however, the myopic nature of the definition (indeed, the myopic thinking there contained) leaves a stain, which is what i was driving at.

perhaps we could change the name of the thread to "what a cult is to me, by RBHill"

wait...we couldn't do that -- he didn't actually write it.
  15. Not Kansas
    Moves
    05 Jun '05 05:33
    Originally posted by LemonJello
    yes, your reply is sensible, and RB's definition is also sensible in such a context.

however, the myopic nature of the definition (indeed, the myopic thinking there contained) leaves a stain, which is what i was driving at.

perhaps we could change the name of the thread to "what a cult is to me, by RBHill"

wait...we couldn't do that -- he didn't actually write it.
    lol

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree