1. Standard memberRBHILL
    Acts 13:48
    California
    Moves
    04 Jun '05 23:36
    What is a cult? or should I saw this is what a ciult is.

A cult is any group which teaches doctrines or beliefs that deviate from the biblical message of the Christian faith. It is very important that we recognize cults and avoid any involvement with them. Cults often teach some Christian truth mixed with error, which may be difficult to detect. There are some features common to most cults:
    They do not adhere solely to the sixty-six books of the Bible as the inspired Word of God. They add their "special revelations" to the Bible as equally authoritative.

They do not accept that our relationship to Jesus Christ is a reality "by grace through faith" alone, but practice instead a salvation by works.

They do not give Jesus Christ, the divine Son of God, full recognition as the second Person of the Trinity, composed of God the Father, God the Son, and God the Holy Spirit. Some of these groups are Jehovah's Witnesses, Mormons, the Unification Church, Unitarians, Spiritists, Scientologists, and others.
  2. Moving on...
    Moves
    04 Jun '05 23:38
    Originally posted by RBHILL

A cult is any group which teaches doctrines or beliefs that deviate from the biblical message of the Christian faith. It is very important that we recognize cults and avoid any involvement with them. Cults often teach some Christian truth mixed with error, which may be difficult to detect. There are ...[text shortened]... Witnesses, Mormons, the Unification Church, Unitarians, Spiritists, Scientologists, and others.
    can you reference please? are you asking a question or telling us?
  3. Standard memberRBHILL
    California
    Moves
    04 Jun '05 23:39
    Originally posted by wucky3
    can you reference please? are you asking a question or telling us?
    Telling you.
  4. Felicific Forest
    Moves
    04 Jun '05 23:49
    Telling you.

LMSO
  5. Standard memberRBHILL
    California
    Moves
    04 Jun '05 23:531 edit
    Originally posted by ivanhoe

LMSO
    ? Speak English.
  6. Standard memberPhlabibit
    Mystic Meg
    tinyurl.com/3sbbwd4
    Moves
    04 Jun '05 23:531 edit
    Telling you.
    Ever thought of writing your own dicktionary... RB?

ES

LMSO... Laugh my socks off?
  7. Moving on...
    Moves
    04 Jun '05 23:54
    Telling you.
    what a dipstick!!
  8. Standard memberPhlabibit
    Mystic Meg
    tinyurl.com/3sbbwd4
    Moves
    04 Jun '05 23:57
    what a dipstick!!
    Don't you hate those cult members that decided to do as Jesus asked rather than yell his prais to the Heavens in hopes they will be 'saved'?

9. Standard memberRingtailhunter
    Track drifter ®
    Hoopnholler, MN
    Moves
    04 Jun '05 23:58

A cult is any group which teaches doctrines or beliefs that deviate from the biblical message of the Christian faith. It is very important that we recognize cults and avoid any involvement with them. Cults often teach some Christian truth mixed with error, which may be difficult to detect. There are ...[text shortened]... Witnesses, Mormons, the Unification Church, Unitarians, Spiritists, Scientologists, and others.
    Christianity would be consided a cult when it first started. It was a young upstart back then too.

RTh
  10. Felicific Forest
    Moves
    04 Jun '05 23:58
    ? Speak English.

LMSO = Laughing My Socks Off
  11. Felicific Forest
    Moves
    04 Jun '05 23:59
    Originally posted by Phlabibit
    Ever thought of writing your own dicktionary... RB?

ES

LMSO... Laugh my socks off?

Yeah, laughing my socks off ..... happens to me all the time !
  12. Oz
    Moves
    05 Jun '05 00:011 edit
    typo's
    A cult is no more or less valid then any other religion in terms of doctrine or right to truth. In essence a cult is simply a religion with fewer numbers and therefore less social exposure than a mainstream religion.

This means it's members will have a greater sense of social isolation, since they're a member of a smaller alienated group. Since this would be a powerful demotivator (stigma from this is going to cause family members and loved ones to persuade them to leave the cult), the cult will use extremely 'persuasive methods' to keep members in the flock, such beratement during public speaking (in front of a group), as well as other methods to crush people's self-confidence and ease the difficulties in the indoctrination process. Often things such as laughter (during a weekend retreat for example), are only permitted at the end of a retreat (to symbolise a form of 'newfound happiness'😉.

Cults can also gain some form of legitimacy, unfortunately the I.R.S couldn't crush Scientology (notorious for it's exploitation of rank and file members) back in the 80's. So now it's in the process of gaining legitimacy, through exposure and growing numbers. Whether a cult is harmless (Hari-Krishna's seem odd but harmless) or malevolent (Branch Davidians was it?) outside of what it does to your social life, is judged on a case by case basis.
  13. Felicific Forest
    Moves
    05 Jun '05 00:01
    what a dipstick!!

*)1. dipstick
    1. the stick in your car used to measure how much oil you have.
    2. a slang term for a person who is dumb
    3. used as a substitute for "dipshit" whenever that particular word would be deemed inappropriate.
    1. I looked at the car's dipstick, and it seems as though i need an oil change.
    2. John is a total dipstick, he can't even tie his own shoes.
    3. I got ripped off by that dipstick who fixed my stove.
  14. Standard memberRBHILL
    California
    Moves
    05 Jun '05 00:02
    Don't you hate those cult members that decided to do as Jesus asked rather than yell his prais to the Heavens in hopes they will be 'saved'?

Christian don't need to hope, they know where they are goinging, that is what Christianity is all about the saving power of Jesus.

The truth hurts doesn't it, but Jesus says the truth will set you free, and he is the truth so he will set you free.
  15. Moving on...
    Moves
    05 Jun '05 00:03

reading rb's plagurised definition it seems he belongs in a cult

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree