1. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    30 Aug '06 18:321 edit
    Is it breaking any law on the books of mankind? Is running a red light a sin? Is strealing the change in a buskers hat a sin?
    Is burning down an abortion clinic a sin? Just what is the definition of sinness?
    Are there laws on the books that, if broken, would NOT be defined as sin?
  2. Joined
    02 Aug '06
    Moves
    30 Aug '06 18:412 edits
    Originally posted by sonhouse
    Is it breaking any law on the books of mankind? Is running a red light a sin? Is strealing the change in a buskers hat a sin?
    Is burning down an abortion clinic a sin? Just what is the definition of sinness?
    You know what a leech is? You know what parasite is?

Sin is Satan, God's enemy himself attached to man in a parasite / host relationship.

Sin is the evil nature of the devil infesting man and driving him to do against what his moral conscience does not agree with.

Sin is Satan himself attached to our being like a parasite driving us to rebel against God's righteousness on general principle, to break God's moral laws just because they are there, to violate God's glory because we can, to disdain God's holiness simply because we enjoy to.

I think the word "sin" means to miss the mark. This refered to shooting an arrow in ancient times. To miss the mark is to sin in the shooting of our moral "arrow" of behavior. There is a bullseye which we were created and designed to hit dead on in our actions. Sin is to miss that mark. Sin is the shoot crooked and miss the center goal.

In our talk, we miss the mark. In our actions, we miss the mark. There is a parasitic leech like being somehow attached to our being ever since the fall of Adam. We are the host and Satan is the parasite of our sinful nature.

Though we know what is the good to do we do not have the power to do it. We have only "the knowledge of good and evil". We lack the power to fully carry out the good or to escape the evil.
  3. Joined
    17 May '05
    Moves
    30 Aug '06 18:55
    Originally posted by jaywill
    You know what a leech is? You know what parasite is?

Genes and hormones.
  4. Joined
    24 Apr '05
    Moves
    30 Aug '06 19:01
    Since 'sin' is normally used to denote transgression against the will or law of some existent god, 'sin' is probably just a word without a referent. It's also a pretty useless concept since it has no necessary connection with moral wrongness: as a concept, it just reinforces the sort of infantile behavior in which people follow heteronomous rules without giving any thought to the justification (if any) of such rules.
  5. The Tao Temple
    Moves
    30 Aug '06 19:46
    A sin is defined as anything a rival religion does which yours doesn't.

If you're Jewish you are better than Catholics because they eat mouthwateringly delicious pork sausages - the filthy sinners! If you're Muslim you are better than Jews because they make billions in interest with their brilliant banking skills - the filthy sinners! If you're Catholic you are better than Muslims because their women won't wear bikinis - the filthy sinners!
  6. Joined
    30 Aug '06
    Moves
    30 Aug '06 19:55
    A sin is doing wrong against God,when you know what you are doing is wrong against God.
  7. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    30 Aug '06 20:44
    Originally posted by Ice Cold
    A sin is doing wrong against God,when you know what you are doing is wrong against God.
    Therefore if you are an atheist you can't sin?
  8. CA, USA
    Moves
    30 Aug '06 21:04
    When you know something is wrong and temptation wins the battle .. that's a sin
  9. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    30 Aug '06 21:071 edit
    Originally posted by jammer
    When you know something is wrong and temptation wins the battle .. that's a sin
    Then mentally challenged people can never sin no matter what they do?
  10. CA, USA
    Moves
    30 Aug '06 21:51
    Then mentally challenged people can never sin no matter what they do?
    I believe sin requires a conscience decision to complete the act
  11. Standard memberthesonofsaul
    King of the Ashes
    Trying to rise ....
    Moves
    30 Aug '06 22:05
    Sin is a word with many connotations and many usages, but for me sin is not necessarily a mere transgression against some sort of ultimate natural law.

Sin is the seperation from God. Sin is the reason why we walk around confused all the time. Sin is the reason why so many people have such difficulty in understanding, accepting, and talking with God. Sin is what makes us think that we are the judges, that we are the best of the best, the we have the knowledge of what seperates good and evil.

Sin is an illusion. Sin is a lie. Sin is being human.

To use sin as a singular. A sin is any action that takes us further away from God. A sin is a movement toward the abstract idols that we invent.

This is my take on sin. I know few people understand it, but I have to restate it every time the subject of sin reappears.

NOTE: I am not a Christian. Please do not get confused by your prejudices.
  12. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    30 Aug '06 22:14
    Originally posted by thesonofsaul
    Sin is a word with many connotations and many usages, but for me sin is not necessarily a mere transgression against some sort of ultimate natural law.

Sin is the seperation from God. Sin is the reason why we walk around confused all the time. Sin is the reason why so many people have such difficulty in understanding, accepting, and talking with Go ...[text shortened]... f sin reappears.

NOTE: I am not a Christian. Please do not get confused by your prejudices.
    So there are no man-made sins? Like a prisoner violating parole, or a pickpocket? Or flashing a cop? Burning the flag of your country?
    Only actions against a god? Like destroying a bible or Quran?
    If an atheist destroys a bible, is that a sin?
  13. Standard memberthesonofsaul
    King of the Ashes
    Trying to rise ....
    Moves
    31 Aug '06 00:32
    So there are no man-made sins? Like a prisoner violating parole, or a pickpocket? Or flashing a cop? Burning the flag of your country?
    Only actions against a god? Like destroying a bible or Quran?
    If an atheist destroys a bible, is that a sin?
    As I said, many contexts. Sin can be seen as simply breaking a law if you want, but for me that is counterproductive. Breaking a law is breaking a law, and that is a political deal mostly, and has little to do with spirituality. My way deals with the spiritual as spiritual.
  14. Joined
    05 Aug '01
    Moves
    31 Aug '06 00:38
    There are many books on moral theology that address the nature of sin and specifically what is sinful. Find a Catholic moral theology book written pre 1950, if you are truly interested.
  15. Joined
    30 Aug '06
    Moves
    31 Aug '06 02:50
    Therefore if you are an atheist you can't sin?
    I cant answer that because I am not an atheist,and I do not believe in judging others.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree