1. Donationkirksey957
    Outkast
    With White Women
    Moves
    07 Dec '08 18:58
    Originally posted by josephw
    But your post is not pertinent to the topic of this thread, nor relevant to the question I raised.
    You phrased your question as an "either or" situation. I thought Visteds addressed that better than I could.
  2. Subscriberjosephw
    Owner
    Scoffer Mocker
    Moves
    07 Dec '08 22:44
    Originally posted by kirksey957
    You phrased your question as an "either or" situation. I thought Visteds addressed that better than I could.
    I'm sorry. I didn't mean to come at you like that.

Yes. I read vistesd's post and I will have to read it several more times before I can reply. Which I fully intend to do as soon as I figure it out!
  3. Donationkirksey957
    Outkast
    With White Women
    Moves
    07 Dec '08 23:48
    I'm sorry. I didn't mean to come at you like that.

Yes. I read vistesd's post and I will have to read it several more times before I can reply. Which I fully intend to do as soon as I figure it out!
    To put it in a nutshell, think he was saying that God invented us so gloriously that he would never want us to "check our brain" at the door of revelations.
  4. Subscriberjosephw
    Owner
    Scoffer Mocker
    Moves
    08 Dec '08 01:071 edit
    Originally posted by kirksey957
    To put it in a nutshell, think he was saying that God invented us so gloriously that he would never want us to "check our brain" at the door of revelations.
    Yes, of course, I agree. But Jesus did mean something by what He said.

"Hid from the wise and prudent, but revealed unto babes."

I think that the idea is that what is revealed does not require a strong intellect, but rather a willing heart in order to comprehend the thing revealed.

But there's more to it than that even!

I'm going to attemp to explain in my reply to vistesd. I can only strain my own meager intellect so far in one post, so I'll do it there.
  5. Subscriberjosephw
    Owner
    Scoffer Mocker
    Moves
    08 Dec '08 01:42
    Originally posted by vistesd
    Whether one is talking about textual (scriptural) revelation or some personal revelation (visions, epiphanies, etc.), one must apply one’s own intelligence to determine whether the revelatory content is really intelligible and intelligent (makes sense). Also to determine whether such revelation (again, however manifest) can, in fact, be called revelation. ...[text shortened]... or you in your life—without necessarily contending that it must mean “just this” or “just that”.
    Ok. I think I understand what you're saying. So rather than replying to any one particular point, I will attempt to expound a bit more on what I'm driving at.

In the verse cited Jesus thanks the Father for doing something. That being the hiding of something, and the revealing of something.

That something, it seems, is some truth or another. The point being, it is revealed rather than simply discovered by ones' own powers of intellect. This is not to say, as you said, that one does not employ ones' own intellegence to the meaning of that revelation.

But still, the verse seems to suggest that the degree of intellect is not a prerequisite to recieving a revelation.

So then, it appears that a truth that cannot otherwise be known must be revealed by the revelator to be known.

Applying this idea then to the whole of scripture is not to say that the scripture is not knowable in it's content, but rather that there is a depth to it which is hid from the intellect, and relealed in/to the spirit.

Your thoughts please.
  6. rural North Dakota
    Moves
    08 Dec '08 02:11
    Taking this in context.....Jesus had just been teaching his apostles. Then he paused and thanked his Heavenly Father for revealing those truths to them. They were the ones he referred to as "babes', in my estimation. They were not scribes or pharisees....the wise, learned ones. They were of the unlearned lower class. Though in another thread I mentioned that the plan of salvation is so simple that a child can understand it, despite the complexity of God.
  7. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    08 Dec '08 04:41
    Originally posted by Badwater
    Having Aaron speak for him was a necessary task given his speech impediment; it's kind of difficult to impress the Pharoh with a severe stutter. Aaron also spoke for Moses to the Jews for the same reason.
    On the contrary, according to God Moses was more than capable, however, Moses insisted that his brother speak for him anyway.
  8. Standard memberblack beetle
    Black Beastie
    Scheveningen
    Moves
    08 Dec '08 05:10
    Luke 10:21

[b]"In that hour Jesus rejoiced in spirit, and said, I thank thee, O Father, Lord of heaven and earth, that thou hast hid these things from the wise and prudent, and hast revealed them unto babes: even so, Father; for so it seemed good in thy sight."

Here is why I ask. There is a good deal of discussion in this forum by certian individ ...[text shortened]... ut what is right or wrong, good or evil, is contingent on revelation rather than intelligence.[/b]
    direct enlightenment from Mind to mind
  9. Standard memberAThousandYoung
    or different places
    tinyurl.com/2tp8tyx8
    Moves
    08 Dec '08 05:13
    Luke 10:21

[b]"In that hour Jesus rejoiced in spirit, and said, I thank thee, O Father, Lord of heaven and earth, that thou hast hid these things from the wise and prudent, and hast revealed them unto babes: even so, Father; for so it seemed good in thy sight."

Here is why I ask. There is a good deal of discussion in this forum by certian individ ...[text shortened]... ut what is right or wrong, good or evil, is contingent on revelation rather than intelligence.[/b]
    I think this passage is saying that only dumb people are Christians.
  10. Joined
    07 Jan '08
    Moves
    08 Dec '08 07:14
    Originally posted by whodey
    On the contrary, according to God Moses was more than capable, however, Moses insisted that his brother speak for him anyway.
    Obviously I disagree.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree