1. Account suspended
    Moves
    28 Jan '12 16:102 edits
    Originally posted by avalanchethecat
    If only it were so. If only christianity came without carrot and stick. But we both know that it's not the case. How many christians do you think there would be if Jesus' message was that there is no life after death, just what you see around you? No threats either - "do good like me or be selfish and cruel, but it doesn't matter a damn because soon you'll be dead and gone anyway". Just how are you going to sell that religion?
    Again i think that they would do it because its the right thing to do. Take a look at the
    teaching of Christ, when the disciples were whinging and thinking of themselves, time
    and again, 'what are we going to get out of this', he simply explained, that yes, there
    would be rewards, but these would come with persecutions, the motivation for
    evangelising was not the reward in itself, although emphasised, but the joy of giving to
    others, ones time, energy and resources. There is no need to sell it, truth has a
    potency all of its own.
  2. Joined
    29 Dec '08
    Moves
    28 Jan '12 16:22
    Originally posted by robbie carrobie
    yes, there may be many systems that i am unaware of, thus the proviso.
    OK I can see that, but you did say speak of it "in
    contrast to almost every other system that i can think of" (bold added). So I thought you had another system in mind that was equal to what Christ taught in altruism, and I would next ask you what that system was.
  3. Standard memberavalanchethecat
    Not actually a cat
    The Flat Earth
    Moves
    28 Jan '12 16:30
    A faith that teaches that you should disadvantage yourself for the good of others yet receive no reward while allowing evil to flourish without threat of punishment? You're telling me you believe this would sell itself? Sorry Robbie, I don't buy it and I don't believe you do either.

There are people who do the right thing because it's the right thing to do. These people don't need scripture to point them in the right direction. Some of 'em might even be christians, but that ain't why they do it.

And if christianity doesn't need the carrot and stick, why does it have them?
  4. Joined
    29 Dec '08
    Moves
    28 Jan '12 16:441 edit
    why you should be amazed i cannot say, either Christ set a superlative example or he
    did not. If he did then you must agree that Christianity in its purest form is altruistic,
    as exemplified by its founder in both word and deed. That salvation is also possible or
    condemnation does not negate this fact for one can only appeal to others on the ...[text shortened]... this self sacrificing love, if they reject it, then what else is there to make an appeal
    with?
    Dare I suggest that your statement above is a "no true Scotsmen" argument? By your words "Christianity in its purest form is altruistic, as exemplified by its founder in both word and deed" you strip away any aspects of Christianity not presented by those words and deeds. Most Christians rely on more than that -- for example, they rely on the words of the OT, Paul, and others, when they speak of Biblical accounts other than those words and deeds.

So you have to argue that personal reward-and-punishment motivations for good behavior are not present in the Bible, or if they are present, are not "Christianity in its purest form." I would certainly agree with the idea that to many Christians, personal reward and punishment motivations ARE integral to Christianity, at least for them, and many of them seem to apply such promises and threats to non-Christians.

So there must be a lot of less-than-pure Christians in the world.
  5. Joined
    29 Dec '08
    Moves
    28 Jan '12 16:50
    Again i think that they would do it because its the right thing to do. Take a look at the
    teaching of Christ, when the disciples were whinging and thinking of themselves, time
    and again, 'what are we going to get out of this', he simply explained, that yes, there
    would be rewards, but these would come with persecutions, the motivation for
    ev ...[text shortened]... ime, energy and resources. There is no need to sell it, truth has a
    potency all of its own.
    So, if one gives with knowledge that he will obtain the prize of joy, that is in "the joy of giving," it is not altruism and therefore not "pure" Christianity? I hope it is still "OK" to do.
  6. Standard memberRJHinds
    The Near Genius
    Fort Gordon
    Moves
    28 Jan '12 18:31
    Originally posted by JS357
    So, if one gives with knowledge that he will obtain the prize of joy, that is in "the joy of giving," it is not altruism and therefore not "pure" Christianity? I hope it is still "OK" to do.
    The way I see being a Christian is to live my life in such a way that I might
    influence someone else to believe in what Christ taught. Science can not
    know anything for sure. Science is based on probability and the likelihood
    that something is true. That is one reason I do not understand why so many
    so-called scientist believe in the theory of evolution because the probability
    of it being true is very unlikely IMO. So I do not know for sure, if I live what
    I think is a Christian life, that I will be rewarded in this life or a life to come,
    if there be such a life. We live by faith based on our belief and hope that it
    is true. So if Christ did not rise from the dead all our hope and faith is in
    vain. But what better hope does any man have than that of Christians?
  7. Cape Town
    Moves
    28 Jan '12 18:44
    its not about me, please refrain from making it personal now or in the future.
    You couldn't refrain, why should I? Yes, it is about you. You are making a claim about Christianity, and simultaneously claim to be Christian. If you are Christian for reasons other than personal gain, then you should have no problem explaining it. If you are Christian for personal gain, that contradicts your claims about Christianity.

The fact is, that you cannot and will not address any of my points regardless of whether they are personal or not.

The most important point I have made which is totally impersonal is that if Christianity is as selfless as you claim there is no motivation for following it.
  8. Cape Town
    Moves
    28 Jan '12 18:48
    Again i think that they would do it because its the right thing to do. There is no need to sell it, truth has a potency all of its own.
    Then why are you selling it? If it is self evident that it is the right thing to do, then who needs Christianity? Who needs Christ's example? Us atheists are able to do the right thing without all that baggage.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree