1. Joined
    16 Jan '07
    Moves
    02 Sep '13 08:491 edit
    bad parenting. if we got that bit right everything else would be fine and dandy.
  2. Joined
    04 Feb '05
    Moves
    02 Sep '13 08:52
    Originally posted by whodey
    I've always said, everyone has a devil and everyone has a notion of how to achieve salvation from that "evil". We all innately have a sense of right and wrong even though we may distance ourselves from those terms as being relative. Men like Marx thought the issue boiled down to economics. Men like Frued thought that it boiled down to dysfunctional childhood rearing etc.

So what is wrong with the world today in your own words?
    trying to think of just one thing that is wrong with the world is futile. the matter is more complex than that.
  3. Standard memberGrampy Bobby
    Boston Lad
    USA
    Moves
    02 Sep '13 09:07
    Originally posted by Zahlanzi
    trying to think of just one thing that is wrong with the world is futile. the matter is more complex than that.
    ... overly dismissive not to mention a few.
  4. Cape Town
    Moves
    02 Sep '13 10:07
    Living in society is a delicate balance between selfishness which benefits the individual and communal behaviour which benefits the society as a whole.
    There are many ways to structure society and the more successful ways win out in the long term. Cultural evolution is taking place.
    There seems to be an overall trend towards more communal behaviour as the benefits are enormous, and this is why the world is gradually becoming a better place.
    As for major current problems in the world as a whole:
    1. Wars and other conflict. I believe we should have got passed this by now and that the UN or some similar body should enforce a basic level of peace globally regardless of how much oil countries have.
    2. Economic inequality. Its time we did something about this.
    3. Basic human rights for all are still not being met for large numbers of people.
    4. Our short term planning inherent in most political systems is causing great damage such as global warming which requires long term planning. We are also missing out on enormous economic benefits from long term planning.
  5. Joined
    16 Jan '07
    Moves
    02 Sep '13 10:54
    whats wrong with the world? its summed up perfectly here.

YouTube

"slave children making cheaper sneakers, but the sneakers never seem that much cheaper..........what are their overheads???" genius!!
  6. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    03 Sep '13 03:50
    Originally posted by Rajk999
    Nothing. Why do you think something is wrong?
    I can't think of a single thing. 😕
  7. Standard memberGrampy Bobby
    Boston Lad
    USA
    Moves
    03 Sep '13 04:26
    I can't think of a single thing. 😕
    How about multiple t h i n g s?
  8. SubscriberSuzianne
    Misfit Queen
    Isle of Misfit Toys
    Moves
    06 Sep '13 01:171 edit
    Originally posted by wolfgang59
    Less war.
    Less famine.
    Less disease.
    Less suffering.
    Actually, because there are more people on this planet than ever, there are more of these things than ever.

More war.
    More famine.
    More disease.
    More suffering.

Sounds a bit like a certain Four Horsemen, doesn't it?
  9. R
    Standard memberRemoved
    Moves
    06 Sep '13 01:47
    When the times are fulfilled, the world will be a beautiful place. In fact, if one chooses to live as a child of God, the world can be a beautiful place now, as long as we keep our eyes on Jesus. Life can be an adventure every day, as we fellowship with God and his Son.
  10. Standard memberempovsun
    Adepto 'er perfectu
    Moves
    06 Sep '13 02:111 edit
    our inability to evolve into something greater
    this new era of peak oil will be an interesting one
  11. Standard memberRJHinds
    The Near Genius
    Fort Gordon
    Moves
    06 Sep '13 05:37
    Originally posted by empovsun
    our inability to evolve into something greater
    this new era of peak oil will be an interesting one
    We can't evolve. We must be changed by our Creator, Lord and Savior.

The Instructor
  12. Joined
    16 Jan '07
    Moves
    06 Sep '13 08:39
    Originally posted by Suzianne
    Actually, because there are more people on this planet than ever, there are more of these things than ever.

More war.
    More famine.
    More disease.
    More suffering.

Sounds a bit like a certain Four Horsemen, doesn't it?
    sorry suzianne, but ive got to disagree with you here. it doesnt sound 'four horsemen'at. things may occur more often due to the massive increase in population. but if they ratio of them happening is getting smaller then society is improving.

things are better now than they have ever been. the question i always ask, but vary rarely get an answer to, is - what time in history would do you think was better to live in and why?
  13. SubscriberSuzianne
    Misfit Queen
    Isle of Misfit Toys
    Moves
    06 Sep '13 18:42
    Originally posted by stellspalfie
    sorry suzianne, but ive got to disagree with you here. it doesnt sound 'four horsemen'at. things may occur more often due to the massive increase in population. but if they ratio of them happening is getting smaller then society is improving.

things are better now than they have ever been. the question i always ask, but vary rarely get an answer to, is - what time in history would do you think was better to live in and why?
    In other words, if you're having a good day, then the entire population of earth is having a good day.

Tell that to the refugees of Darfur (just to start). Tell that to the rebels in Syria who died by the hundreds after being gassed by Assad. Tell that to the Tibetans who now live under Chinese domination. The world's poor, her homeless, her dead. Tell that to them.

What you may mean to say is that things are better now than they've ever been for you.
  14. Joined
    24 Apr '05
    Moves
    06 Sep '13 19:591 edit
    Originally posted by Suzianne
    In other words, if you're having a good day, then the entire population of earth is having a good day.

Tell that to the refugees of Darfur (just to start). Tell that to the rebels in Syria who died by the hundreds after being gassed by Assad. Tell that to the Tibetans who now live under Chinese domination. The world's poor, her homeless, her dead. Te ...[text shortened]... What you may mean to say is that things are better now than they've ever been for you.
    What you may mean to say is that things are better now than they've ever been for you.

Stellspalfie does not mean to say that, genius, since he/she is obviously intending to say something about the current social climate relative to other times which include those during which he/she never existed. My guess is stellspalfie probably meant to say just what he/she did say, which is not at all well-captured by your attempts at redescription. Maybe try re-reading it at a different time of the month?
  15. SubscriberSuzianne
    Misfit Queen
    Isle of Misfit Toys
    Moves
    06 Sep '13 23:24
    Originally posted by LemonJello
    [b]What you may mean to say is that things are better now than they've ever been for you.

Stellspalfie does not mean to say that, genius, since he/she is obviously intending to say something about the current social climate relative to other times which include those during which he/she never existed. My guess is stellspalfie probably meant ...[text shortened]... d by your attempts at redescription. Maybe try re-reading it at a different time of the month?[/b]
    Just yet another attempt to get the atheists here to think of someone besides themselves.

So you're saying that he feels that things are better now than they've ever been before simply because he's here now? Or is that your opinion?

Sorry, I still don't see how your guess trumps my guess. Would you think it does because it's your guess? My guess is you'll still have this bad attitude at any time of month, so that's out.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree