Media Cynicism (USA)
  2. Donationrwingett
    Ming the Merciless
    Royal Oak, MI
    Moves
    08 Sep '13 21:24
    Originally posted by Grampy Bobby
    "The world has always been in a self destruct mode... "

Yes, of course. Human Life on Planet Earth has been in a self willed downward spiral since Adam and Isha (yes, correct and a lovely name) got kicked out of the perfect environment park for disobeying one command (not to touch one fruit) because one volition was deceived and the other chose the w ...[text shortened]... y drove Cain to kill Able. Choices continue to matter in 2013. (History of Humanity Forum, OP)
    These things are all correct as metaphors. But your mistake is to take the metaphors as being literally true themselves.

1. Adam and Eve represent Paleolithic man as scavenger/gatherers who lived more or less sustainably.
    2. Eden represents the earth before mankind began polluting it and driving whole species to extinction. Basically the earth before the 'Anthropocene.'
    3. The forbidden fruit represents technology, which had the effect of alienating mankind from nature (or god), which resulted in his expulsion from Eden.
    4. Men having to labor to eat is an outgrowth of man's technological mode of thinking. In this case - agriculture. Agriculture led to private property, which, in turn, led to unsustainable population growth and every other social ill known to man today.
  3. Donationrwingett
    Ming the Merciless
    Royal Oak, MI
    Moves
    08 Sep '13 21:28
    Originally posted by empovsun
    our inability to evolve into something greater
    this new era of peak oil will be an interesting one
    Peak oil will demonstrate how all our current "greatness" is built on a foundation of sand. It is unsustainable and if great changes are not made voluntarily in the near future, the whole edifice is going to come crashing down around our ears in a thunderous collapse.
  4. Standard memberGrampy Bobby
    Boston Lad
    USA
    Moves
    08 Sep '13 21:32
    Originally posted by rwingett
    These things are all correct as metaphors. But your mistake is to take the metaphors as being literally true themselves.

1. Adam and Eve represent Paleolithic man as scavenger/gatherers who lived more or less sustainably.
    2. Eden represents the earth before mankind began polluting it and driving whole species to extinction. Basically the earth ...[text shortened]... n turn, led to unsustainable population growth and every other social ill known to man today.
    Source?
  5. Donationrwingett
    Ming the Merciless
    Royal Oak, MI
    Moves
    08 Sep '13 21:32
    Originally posted by wolfgang59
    Because there are more people on the planet there is more happiness!

Surely if we are talking about "the world" we need to look at proportion?

And NOW is surely the best of times to live.

Suzianne - I challenge you to give a better period in history. ?
    Perhaps now is. But in living that good life, we're undermining the natural capital of future generations at a rapid rate. I don't think those generations will look back on our current age with quite the rose colored spectacles that you seem to employ.
  6. Donationrwingett
    Ming the Merciless
    Royal Oak, MI
    Moves
    08 Sep '13 21:34
    Source?
    Source? That is my interpretation (not wholly original), which is derived from innumerable sources.
  7. Standard memberGrampy Bobby
    Boston Lad
    USA
    Moves
    08 Sep '13 22:01
    Source? That is my interpretation (not wholly original), which is derived from innumerable sources.
    Ever consider alternative 'interpretations' at an earlier time?
  8. Donationrwingett
    Ming the Merciless
    Royal Oak, MI
    Moves
    08 Sep '13 22:13
    Ever consider alternative 'interpretations' at an earlier time?
    I don't know what you mean.
  9. Standard memberGrampy Bobby
    Boston Lad
    USA
    Moves
    09 Sep '13 00:291 edit
    I don't know what you mean.
    Simply, have you always held these views or was there an earlier antithesis from which they evolved?
  10. Donationrwingett
    Ming the Merciless
    Royal Oak, MI
    Moves
    09 Sep '13 00:55
    Simply, have you always held these views or was there an earlier antithesis from which they evolved?
    No, I haven't always had those views. I haven't always held any views. This view didn't evolve from an earlier antithesis so much as it evolved as a synthesis of several views. But why would that matter?
  11. Standard memberwolfgang59
    Quiz Master
    RHP Arms
    Moves
    09 Sep '13 01:08
    Perhaps now is. But in living that good life, we're undermining the natural capital of future generations at a rapid rate. I don't think those generations will look back on our current age with quite the rose colored spectacles that you seem to employ.
    I agree.
    But we still (on average) live longer, safer, healthier and happier lives than our forebears.

And there is absolutely nothing in the world today that could be seen as biblical prophecy coming tru
  12. Donationrwingett
    Ming the Merciless
    Royal Oak, MI
    Moves
    09 Sep '13 01:29
    I agree.
    But we still (on average) live longer, safer, healthier and happier lives than our forebears.

And there is absolutely nothing in the world today that could be seen as biblical prophecy coming tru
    Longer, safer and healthier lives, perhaps, but I'm not so sure about happier. I really just don't think that is true.

I haven't read the whole thread, so I'm not sure what the thing about biblical prophecy is about.
  13. Standard memberGrampy Bobby
    Boston Lad
    USA
    Moves
    09 Sep '13 01:38

No, I haven't always had those views. I haven't always held any views. This view didn't evolve from an earlier antithesis so much as it evolved as a synthesis of several views. But why would that matter?
    "But why would that matter?" Apparently to you, it matters not at all;
    to me, yes since I'm interested in the authoritative source and structural
    underpinnings of your present beliefs as well as their applications.
  14. Standard memberGrampy Bobby
    Boston Lad
    USA
    Moves
    09 Sep '13 01:441 edit
    I agree.

Be patient; the source of irreversible global events operates from a definitive timetable.
    Sure as sunrise and sundown, human life is measured one day at a time. Apathy rules.
  15. Donationrwingett
    Ming the Merciless
    Royal Oak, MI
    Moves
    09 Sep '13 01:54
    "But why would that matter?" Apparently to you, it matters not at all;
    to me, yes since I'm interested in the authoritative source and structural
    underpinnings of your present beliefs as well as their applications.
    I'm losing interest. You're going to have to cut to the chase.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree