What OSAS doesn't mean

What OSAS doesn't mean

Spirituality

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

R
Standard memberRemoved

Moves
22 Nov 18
2 edits

OSAS stands for in most Christians' minds "One Saved Always Saved"

I like to put it "Once Sealed Always Sealed" for the believer is sealed by the Holy Spirit forever once Christ is imparted into them.

The term I prefer is the "assurance of salvation." But I understand what is meant by "Once Saved Always Saved." And generally I believe it, though "saved" has some different nuances of meaning in the Bible.

This next post continues the OP.

R
Standard memberRemoved

Moves
22 Nov 18

What Once Saved Always Saved DOES NOT mean, is my intention to clarify.

1.) Once Saved Always Saved does not mean to me that a Christian KNOWS all who are saved. OSAS does obligate any Christian to be INFALLIBLE about who is a real believer in Christ and who is a nominal one.

2.) Once Saved Always Saved does not mean a Christian is obligated to predict HOW God will judge any particular human being someone points out at a whim.

"Well what about John Jones? Will he be torture or not?"
"Well, will I be tortured forever or not ??"

The Assurance of Salvation teaching doesn't obligate a Christian to be infallible about predictions as to how God will judge someone.

3.) Once Saved Always Saved does not ENCOURAGE Christians to be obscure about their own salvation. It encourages them to be assured. But being encouraged to be assured is not an obligation to be infallible about every one else.

"Oh, if you are assured of YOUR salvation, you are hereby OBLIGATED to be infallible about who else is saved."

4.) Once Saved Always Saved doesn't mean there exists NO CASES which cannot be figured out by every Christian as to who is saved. Neither should believers use this less then 100% universal certainty as a reason to reject OSAS.

In the last analysis God knows who is Once Saved and Always Saved.

5.) It should go without saying, but for some does not, OSAS can't mean that God's grace can be cheaply used without consequences.

6.) Once Saved Always Saved doesn't mean God has no other way to discipline His own household EXCEPT through eternal punishment.

7.) Once Saved Always Saved doesn't mean after the second coming of Christ a saved Christian cannot suffer punishment.

That's enough for now. Beware of the abuse of the concept of the assurance of salvation or OSAS. That is abuse either by Christians or non-Christians or those whose positions we cannot tell.

Walk your Faith

USA

Moves
22 Nov 18

@sonship said
What Once Saved Always Saved DOES NOT mean, is my intention to clarify.

1.) Once Saved Always Saved does not mean to me that a Christian KNOWS all who are saved. OSAS does obligate any Christian to be INFALLIBLE about who is a real believer in Christ and who is a nominal one.

2.) Once Saved Always Saved does not mean a Christian is obligated to predict H ...[text shortened]... OSAS. That is abuse either by Christians or non-Christians or those whose positions we cannot tell.
I don't see anything I disagree with, but for some the question comes, if they are
saved does that mean no matter what they will remain so? I would disagree with
that and because of several warnings about screwing up I'd say it isn't Biblical. The
branches were cut off, so we could be grafted in, and we are told that we too can
be cut off. It isn't that all hope is gone for someone who screws up, but to be
overcome by sin suggests that sin not salvation becomes what the unrepentant
heart wants and desires, so God gives it to them, from there and that point on
they will face the consequences.

R
Standard memberRemoved

Moves
22 Nov 18
1 edit

@KellyJay

I don't see anything I disagree with, but for some the question comes, if they are saved does that mean no matter what they will remain so? I would disagree with that and because of several warnings about screwing up I'd say it isn't Biblical. The branches were cut off, so we could be grafted in, and we are told that we too can be cut off. It isn't that all hope is gone for someone who screws up, but to be overcome by sin suggests that sin not salvation becomes what the unrepentant
heart wants and desires, so God gives it to them, from there and that point on they will face the consequences.

To these concerns mostly I would just re-refer you to the points above 5,6, and 7.

5.) It should go without saying, but for some does not, OSAS can't mean that God's grace can be cheaply used without consequences.

6.) Once Saved Always Saved doesn't mean God has no other way to discipline His own household EXCEPT through eternal punishment.

7.) Once Saved Always Saved doesn't mean after the second coming of Christ a saved Christian cannot suffer punishment.

If Jesus taught in a parable that there would be times when His servants would not able to discern the wheat from the tares (true believers from artificial ones) in Matt. 13 then we should just submit ourselves to Christ's prediction.

I teach the assurance of salvation.
And I teach that we Christians will not always be able to tell who possesses that salvation from whom deceives us as a possessor of it.

Walk your Faith

USA

Moves
22 Nov 18

@sonship said
@KellyJay

[quote] I don't see anything I disagree with, but for some the question comes, if they are saved does that mean no matter what they will remain so? I would disagree with that and because of several warnings about screwing up I'd say it isn't Biblical. The branches were cut off, so we could be grafted in, and we are told that we too can be cut off. It isn't that a ...[text shortened]... s[/i] be able to tell who possesses that salvation from whom deceives us as a possessor of it.

The reason I try not to claim I know who does and doesn’t belong to the Lord is just that. We all are sinners being saved by grace and our sanctification will be a different walk with each of us. Some over come somethings before others, but as we walk with the Lord we are conformed into His imagine. You can only walk with Him as He is Lord and Savior, because of who He is, and it’s also the very best place to be.

R
Standard memberRemoved

Moves
22 Nov 18
1 edit

@KellyJay

The reason I try not to claim I know who does and doesn’t belong to the Lord is just that. We all are sinners being saved by grace and our sanctification will be a different walk with each of us. Some over come somethings before others, but as we walk with the Lord we are conformed into His imagine. You can only walk with Him as He is Lord and Savior, because of who He is, and it’s also the very best place to be.

Some have tried to corner us into going beyond what the Scriptures teach. When the cynical insist that we are supposed to know this and that because we believe in salvation, we have to be cautious.

"You're suppose to know and give a authoritative answer on anyone I name at whim" can amount to some one insisting that you play God.

They may try to maneuver you into conducting both the judgment of Christians and the final judgment of all mankind here and now instead of God doing so.

Refusing to usurp Christ's unique and final authority in that realm is not backing down on the assurance of our salvation.

Sometimes we don't know the state of a person's human spirit. But God knows. And in principle all who belong to Him should by His grace depart from unrighteousness. That seems to be the principle before us.

"However the firm foundation of God stands, having this seal, The Lord knows those who are His, and, Let everyone who names the name of the Lord depart from unrighteousness." (2 Tim. 2:19)

It is rather simple.
1.) God who gives to us the divine life knows those who possess this life, who are His.

2.) If we name ourselves as His, let us by His grace depart more and more from unrighteousness.