1. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    03 Jan '18 08:58
    Originally posted by @dj2becker
    If the OP got you to honestly evaluate your own beliefs and the hope that they bring you then I guess it achieved something.
    Do you now understand why your OP comes across as a naive and clumsy attempt at discourse?
  2. Joined
    01 Oct '04
    Moves
    03 Jan '18 09:01
    Originally posted by @fmf
    You go first with your answer to my question about repercussions you think there would be from people answering your OP in the way you want. And then I will answer your echo of that question which you directed back at me in lieu of an answer to mine.
    For you the repercussion might hopefully be that you honestly evaluate your own beliefs and see for yourself that faith in God offers you more hope than faith in nothing. For me it may reconfirm my own beliefs.
  3. Joined
    01 Oct '04
    Moves
    03 Jan '18 09:02
    Do you now understand why your OP comes across as a naive and clumsy attempt at discourse?
    Sure, for the arrogant and dishonest, possibly.
  4. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    03 Jan '18 09:072 edits
    Do you still hold to your claim that the numerous thumbs down for your OP indicates that people are pissed off by the fact that their worldviews don't offer them any kind of hope, or do you perhaps accept that numerous people just found your OP a rather naive and disingenuous attempt by you to preen in public [passed off as you "reconfirming [your] own beliefs"]?
  5. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    03 Jan '18 09:10
    If my evidence for the existence of God is not deemed - by you - to be be credible, what do you think are the repercussions for [1] you, and [2] me?
    For all practical intents and purposes there are [1] none, and [2] none.

I am more interested in the impact your superstitious beliefs have on your intellectual honesty and your interpersonal skills.
  6. Joined
    01 Oct '04
    Moves
    03 Jan '18 10:49
    Do you still hold to your claim that the numerous thumbs down for your OP indicates that people are pissed off by the fact that their worldviews don't offer them any kind of hope, or do you perhaps accept that numerous people just found your OP a rather naive and disingenuous attempt by you to preen in public [passed off as you "reconfirming [your] own beliefs"]?
    Sure there may be many other possibilities but being pissed off about having no hope could be one.
  7. Joined
    01 Oct '04
    Moves
    03 Jan '18 10:51
    For all practical intents and purposes there are [1] none, and [2] none.

I am more interested in the impact your superstitious beliefs have on your intellectual honesty and your interpersonal skills.
    And I am quite interested in the all hope that is found in atheism and other world views that people can’t seem to talk about.
  8. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    03 Jan '18 10:581 edit
    FMF: Do you now understand why your OP comes across as a naive and clumsy attempt at discourse?

So the negative reaction you have received for this OP, in your mind, stands in contrast to your humility and honesty? You really did not understand the reaction you got?
  9. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    03 Jan '18 11:02
    And I am quite interested in the all hope that is found in atheism and other world views that people can’t seem to talk about.
    And when - in order to cater to this supposed interest of yours - will you start engaging in discourse with non-believers in a genuine way rather than just trying to troll them as seems to be your schtick here?
  10. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    03 Jan '18 11:10
    Sure there may be many other possibilities but being pissed off about having no hope could be one.
    What "other possibilities" for the negative reaction do you envisage?
  11. Joined
    01 Oct '04
    Moves
    03 Jan '18 18:38
    So the negative reaction you have received for this OP, in your mind, stands in contrast to your humility and honesty? You really did not understand the reaction you got?
    No read what I say for a change rather than putting words in my mouth.
  12. Joined
    01 Oct '04
    Moves
    03 Jan '18 18:40
    And when - in order to cater to this supposed interest of yours - will you start engaging in discourse with non-believers in a genuine way rather than just trying to troll them as seems to be your schtick here?
    How would my discourse have to be different for it to be genuine in your opinion?
  13. Joined
    01 Oct '04
    Moves
    03 Jan '18 18:45
    What "other possibilities" for the negative reaction do you envisage?
    Some people could have thumbed it down because they think their atheism gives them more hope than Christianity but they won’t bother to reply and say so.
  14. Standard memberBigDogg
    Secret RHP coder
    on the payroll
    Moves
    03 Jan '18 22:26
    Some people could have thumbed it down because they think their atheism gives them more hope than Christianity but they won’t bother to reply and say so.
    I thumbed it down because it is a poor way to come to belief. ("Poor" is being generous. I don't think people are capable of simply deciding what to believe.)

Propositions are true if they match reality. "Hope" has zero bearing on it.
  15. Standard memberBigDogg
    Secret RHP coder
    on the payroll
    Moves
    03 Jan '18 22:331 edit
    Also, say there are two people: A and B. Both are sincere in their beliefs, but those beliefs are not compatible. A's offers him more personal hope, but B's is better in line with reality.

In that case, A might thump his chest at B, pointing out (accurately) that his beliefs give him more hope than B's give her...but A fails to see that this has come at a price: A is more deluded than B, and thus, shouldn't be bragging.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree