1. Joined
    01 Oct '04
    Moves
    26 Dec '17 09:25
    This is a chance for all skeptics of the Christian faith to provide me with a better alternative. I challenge you all to provide me with a better worldview that you feel is superior to the Christian faith. I am inclined to agree with someone who once said, apart from the death and resurrection of Jesus Christ, I see no hope for the human race.
  2. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    26 Dec '17 10:45
    Originally posted by @dj2becker
    This is a chance for all skeptics of the Christian faith to provide me with a better alternative. I challenge you all to provide me with a better worldview that you feel is superior to the Christian faith. I am inclined to agree with someone who once said, apart from the death and resurrection of Jesus Christ, I see no hope for the human race.
    Your choice of the term “skeptic” is interesting.
  3. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    26 Dec '17 10:53
    ..., apart from the death and resurrection of Jesus Christ, I see no hope for the human race.
    "Hope" for what?
  4. SubscriberGhost of a Duke
    Resident of Planet X
    The Ghost Chamber
    Moves
    26 Dec '17 12:30
    A 'true' alternative would of course be preferable.

If we are allowed to just make stuff up, to replicate the Christian worldview, then it wouldn't be too difficult to spin a superior fable.
  5. PenTesting
    Moves
    26 Dec '17 13:37
    There is no hope for those Christians [and there are many] who simply profess their faith and do no good works. Those who have hope are those who live according to the commandments of Christ.
  6. Joined
    29 Dec '08
    Moves
    26 Dec '17 14:462 edits
    It’s funny but I see you as being in a very precarious psychological position.

You are on that fine balance point of the tightrope walker who believes that any significant difference between what you believe to be true and what you are required to believe, spells doom. It is very strange to think that you can control what you believe to be true about the world, by an act of free will. Then you believe that your beliefs will be judged and your fate will depend entirely on whether they match up with a divinely ordained checklist (plus a checklist of good works if you happen to so believe.)

I think living with such beliefs would inspire an underlying sense of panic that you might be harboring a critically false belief. I think that sense of panic demands palliative treatment which results in the sense of smug self righteousness that some Christians carry into their relationships with those they see as infidels.

However, I see no good will come from trying to persuade such people otherwise. After all is said and done, they really do need the eggs.
  7. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    26 Dec '17 15:203 edits
    Originally posted by @js357
    It’s funny but I see you as being in a very precarious psychological position.
    An interesting observation and which I think is true of all religious people to some extent. Take myself for example; I tell this forum on a regular basis that I am a sincere Christian and yet the Christians here either don’t believe me or call me a son of Satan.

And why? Because I refuse to succumb to tidal wave of psychological bullying that accompanies non-compliance within religious groups and is manifested in here if one does not toe-the-party-line so to speak. A quick look at the “Leaving” thread bears this out.

I myself am torn between the rational and the irrational and in the past have felt the psychological burden of compliance weighing heavily on my wellbeing. I’m simply not doing it anymore. I left organised religion 20 years ago and I will never go back under any circumstances whatsoever, I am still a little angry at times when I think back on how I was treated; and I wasn’t treated that badly!

The burden of belief, proof, salvation, works, everything, lies with God not with man. It’s his job to sort this shlt out, not ours. I’ll happily bow the knee to him, but I’m not bending over to religion ever again.

Happy Boxing Day!
  8. Standard memberapathist
    looking for loot
    western colorado
    Moves
    26 Dec '17 17:29
    We need this world, so for selfish reasons if nothing else, and for our kids if for nothing else, we should take care of this world.

Everything else is back seat at best.
  9. Standard memberapathist
    looking for loot
    western colorado
    Moves
    26 Dec '17 17:33
    Originally posted by @rajk999
    There is no hope for those Christians [and there are many] who simply profess their faith and do no good works. Those who have hope are those who live according to the commandments of Christ.
    Weak. If magic gods show up and speak to me, then I can hear them. Because people like you say they have special knowledge, I'm just deaf.
  10. Standard membervivify
    rain
    Moves
    26 Dec '17 21:38
    apart from the death and resurrection of Jesus Christ, I see no hope for the human race
    That makes no sense. According to the bible, humans are doomed because God will destroy them. God has provided a "solution" to a problem he caused.
  11. Standard memberBigDogg
    Secret RHP coder
    on the payroll
    Moves
    26 Dec '17 22:05
    We can't. You alone walk your spiritual path.

It doesn't matter that it doesn't make sense to others, or work for them. You've got to go with what works for you.
  12. Joined
    12 Jul '08
    Moves
    26 Dec '17 22:10
    There is one thing you should remember chief....

People tend to believe their point of view is true and the best point of view.
  13. Standard membergalveston75
    Texasman
    San Antonio Texas
    Moves
    26 Dec '17 22:18
    Yes that statement is correct, the human race would not have a future if Jesus had not laid his life down for all humans. But not all will take advantage of his sacrifice and many will flat reject it and not take the steps needed or accept the responsibilities that being a Christian has towards other humans. Many on this earth who claim to be Christian do not always know what is expected to really be a Christian. Many Christian religions have watered down those facts and don't tell the truths of what we are obliged to do. Just as we want life, so do others, but they have to be taught so they in turn can teach others. Jesus never set up a clergy class to teach but he taught all his followers to teach.
    "love your neighbor as yourself" Are you showing love if you don't teach them?

https://www.jw.org/en/publications/magazines/wp20090801/are-all-religions-good/
  14. Joined
    12 Jul '08
    Moves
    26 Dec '17 22:561 edit
    Originally posted by @galveston75
    Yes that statement is correct, the human race would not have a future if Jesus had not laid his life down for all humans. But not all will take advantage of his sacrifice and many will flat reject it and not take the steps needed or accept the responsibilities that being a Christian has towards other humans. Many on this earth who claim to be Christian ...[text shortened]... teach them?

https://www.jw.org/en/publications/magazines/wp20090801/are-all-religions-good/
    When Jesus set out pairs disciples to teach, how did he instruct them to react when people rejected their teachings?
  15. Standard membergalveston75
    Texasman
    San Antonio Texas
    Moves
    26 Dec '17 23:001 edit
    Originally posted by @eladar
    When Jesus set out pairs disciples to teach, how did he instruct them to react when people rejected their teachings?
    To wipe their feet of the dust of that door and walk away to another door to teach. Just as Jesus himself taught and did.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree