1. Standard memberBigDogg
    Secret RHP coder
    on the payroll
    Moves
    16 Nov '17 00:321 edit
    Originally posted by @divegeester
    I’m not saying it’s off topic, I’m saying it’s not what my OP was about. When you put up a more engaging construct of your position which goes further than selective definitions, calling my position an “old chestnut” me as lacking understanding or any other type of lazy adhomien, then perhaps you will get some better responses. 😉

Meanwhile I am interested in my OP. Try starting a thread on altruism definitions and see how it goes.
    Those aren't ad hominems. An ad-hominem is something like "Dive's claim is false because he is a cad and a bounder."

Calling a viewpoint an "old chestnut" meant that I've heard it a few times before, and that is all I intended it to mean.

The point of quoting the definition was not to rule out nuance. It was to show that you were rejecting that a specific action was altruistic, even though "altruism" definition #1 fit it like a glove.
  2. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    16 Nov '17 06:55
    Originally posted by @bigdoggproblem
    Those aren't ad hominems. An ad-hominem is something like "Dive's claim is false because he is a cad and a bounder."

Calling a viewpoint an "old chestnut" meant that I've heard it a few times before, and that is all I intended it to mean.

The point of quoting the definition was not to rule out nuance. It was to show that you were rejecting that a specific action was altruistic, even though "altruism" definition #1 fit it like a glove.
    Do you have a favourite definition for ad hominem we could argue over?
  3. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    16 Nov '17 07:054 edits
    Originally posted by @bigdoggproblem

Ok as you seem determined to troll my thread and ignore the specifics of the OP, let’s argue about this boring OCD shlt then.

So, you think that using the phrase “old chestnut” to describe my point about altruism is incongruent with your definition of ad hominem. Well perhaps it is, but it is still a weak as piss comment which tries to undermine my POV by pointing to the age of the argument rather then the content of it. But hey, you knew this right?

Your go...
  4. R
    Standard memberRemoved
    Moves
    16 Nov '17 13:12
    I think the parable is an excellent example from jesus himself, and the account of Philip and the eunuch, that doctrine much less important than Christians such as yourself hold to. It’s actions that matter.
    I think the parable is an excellent example from jesus himself, and the account of Philip and the eunuch, that doctrine much less important than Christians such as yourself hold to. It’s actions that matter.
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    As view this parable the "inn" where the rescued man is taken symbolizes the practical new covenant church life.

i have served in such "inns" forty-three years.
    Here are few websites and/or locations of where I have served for much of those decades:

the church in New York, NY - http://churchinnyc.org/
    the church in Newton, MA - 50 Dudley Rd, Newton, Massachusetts 02459, USA
    the church in Dunn Loring VA - http://churchindunnloring.org/

Great places to take care of those in need of spiritual and practical help and healing.

Where have you served in practical actions inspired by the Lord Jesus ?
  5. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    16 Nov '17 13:31
    Originally posted by @sonship
    [b] I think the parable is an excellent example from jesus himself, and the account of Philip and the eunuch, that doctrine much less important than Christians such as yourself hold to. It’s actions that matter.
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    As view this parable the "inn" wh ...[text shortened]... cal help and healing.

Where have you served in practical actions inspired by the Lord Jesus ?[/b]
    Why are you posting links to churches you have attended? 😕
  6. R
    Standard memberRemoved
    Moves
    16 Nov '17 17:451 edit
    Why are you posting links to churches you have attended? 😕
    The church is the assembly of people.
    The "inn" in my interpreting of the parable of the Good Samaritan.

I'm not ashamed to indicate where I have served people in need.

You're likely to keep where you served ... anonymous.
    Why?

Maybe because talk is cheap.
  7. Joined
    15 Oct '06
    Moves
    16 Nov '17 17:512 edits
    The church is the assembly of people.
    The [b]"inn"
    in my interpreting of the parable of the Good Samaritan.

I'm not ashamed to indicate where I have served people in need.

You're likely to keep where you served ... anonymous.
    Why?

Maybe because talk is cheap.[/b]
    Since you are a follower of the gospel taught by Paul rather than the gospel preached by Jesus during his ministry, this probably won't mean much to you:
    Matthew 6
    1“Be careful not to practice your righteousness in front of others to be seen by them. If you do, you will have no reward from your Father in heaven.

2“So when you give to the needy, do not announce it with trumpets, as the hypocrites do in the synagogues and on the streets, to be honored by others. Truly I tell you, they have received their reward in full. 3But when you give to the needy, do not let your left hand know what your right hand is doing, 4so that your giving may be in secret. Then your Father, who sees what is done in secret, will reward you.
  8. R
    Standard memberRemoved
    Moves
    16 Nov '17 18:002 edits
    Originally posted by @thinkofone
    Since you are a follower of the gospel taught by Paul rather than the gospel preached by Jesus during his ministry, this probably won't mean much to you:
    Matthew 6
    1“Be careful not to practice your righteousness in front of others to be seen by them. If you do, you will have no reward from your Father in heaven.

2“So when you give to the need ...[text shortened]... ng may be in secret. Then your Father, who sees what is done in secret, will reward you.
    .... gospel taught by Paul rather than the gospel preached by Jesus ...

What's that?

Nevermind ToO. You're libel to go off on several posts about some off nebulous peripheral issue about which everybody has to read your mind.

" ... [T]he gospel taught by Paul rather than preached by Jesus ..." Careful you're showing your colors too much. Shhhhh. Keep em ... guessing.
  9. Joined
    15 Oct '06
    Moves
    16 Nov '17 18:05
    .... gospel taught by Paul rather than the gospel preached by Jesus ...

What's that?

Nevermind ToO. You're libel to go off on several posts about some off nebulous peripheral issue about which everybody has to read your mind.

" ... [T]he gospel taught by Paul rather than preached by Jesus ..." Careful you're showing your colors too much. Shhhhh. Keep em ... guessing.
    I guess I was right. That passage didn't mean anything to you.
  10. R
    Standard memberRemoved
    Moves
    16 Nov '17 18:081 edit
    Matthew 5:15,16

"Nor do men light a lamp and place it under a bushel, but on the lampstand; and it shines to all who are in the house.

In the same way, let your light shine before men, so that they may see your good works and glorify your Father who is in the heavens." (Matt. 5:15,16)

Hey ToO, Umm, is that the gospel preached by Jesus too ?
  11. Joined
    15 Oct '06
    Moves
    16 Nov '17 18:13

[b] "Nor do men light a lamp and place it under a bushel, but on the lampstand; and it shines to all who are in the house.

In the same way, let your light shine before men, so that they may see your good works and glorify your Father who is in the heavens." (Matt. 5:15,16)

Hey ToO, Umm, is that the gospel preached by Jesus too ?[/b]
    What do you discern is the difference between what Jesus is saying in the two passages?
  12. R
    Standard memberRemoved
    Moves
    16 Nov '17 18:20
    Originally posted by @thinkofone
    What do you discern is the difference between what Jesus is saying in the two passages?
    Is that question an admition then that it is the same gospel preached by Jesus ?

Hey ToO, Umm, is that the gospel preached by Jesus too ?

Answer that first, how about ?
    Yea, Nada ?
  13. PenTesting
    Moves
    16 Nov '17 18:23

[b] "Nor do men light a lamp and place it under a bushel, but on the lampstand; and it shines to all who are in the house.

Hey ToO, Umm, is that the gospel preached by Jesus too ?[/b]
    You boasting of what you think is good works is not the same as us seeing your good works.

Nowhere would you find the Bible advising anyone to speak of good works or tell others... in fact this type of boasting is in no uncertain terms condemed as ToO pointed out.
  14. R
    Standard memberRemoved
    Moves
    16 Nov '17 18:36
    Originally posted by @rajk999
    You boasting of what you think is good works is not the same as us seeing your good works.

Nowhere would you find the Bible advising anyone to speak of good works or tell others... in fact this type of boasting is in no uncertain terms condemed as ToO pointed out.
    Rajk999 is back. Have you done some more prayer and studying ?

All I did was indicate some places as in practical congregations where I served the Christian church over some decades.

Everybody around here is so anonymous.
    You don't say a peep about where you served.
    Divegeester disdains to say where he meets.
    Most everyone I know here over the years keeps practicalities like this a big HUSH HUSH.

Call em! Say "What did Jack Wilmore do there in your congregation? He calls himself sonship over here and talks a big bunch about the Gospel."

Some of us have been talking to each other for years here.
    Might as well drop the anonymity and get real with each other.

I'm not bragging. I'm not ashamed to say where I practically served the Lord Jesus where somebody could vouch for it or not.

Now if you'll excuse me, as nice as the tag team approach can be, I'd like to see what ThinkofOne would say without you standing in for him.
  15. R
    Standard memberRemoved
    Moves
    16 Nov '17 18:422 edits
    ThinkofOne, are you maybe not sure if you should laugh or cry?
    Do either.

But you quoted Matthew 6;1,2 as the gospel Jesus preached.
    All I did was use the very same chapter a couple of sentences latter.

Is this the same gospel preached by Jesus?
    Then maybe I can give some take on the different emphasizes of the two passages.
    Its not a bad question.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree