1. R
    Standard memberRemoved
    Moves
    15 Nov '17 02:322 edits
    Originally posted by @thinkofone
    Yes. When you refute an argument of your own making instead of addressing the argument put forth by me - I have no dog in that fight.

Now if you were to address the argument actually made by me, then I would have a dog in that fight.

What's "convenient" is that you create a straw man argument and then get in a huff because I point out that there's no point in trying to address your refutation of YOUR own argument.
    I huff and I puff and I blow the house down.

Now, to salvage something from this fiasco, for some possibly interested -

When I came to Christ, I knew nothing about Original Sin, or Fall of Man, and had no belief in a first man Adam.

So I didn't pass the buck on of my guiltiness to Adam, because I didn't know anything much about that.

The circle was drawn around me. And was between me and God - PERIOD.
    It took years to get me to that point.

Anyway, abject failures were MINE and not Adam's in whom I had no knowledge or belief in other than long discarded Sunday school stories.
  2. Joined
    15 Oct '06
    Moves
    15 Nov '17 02:51
    Originally posted by @sonship

Now, to salvage something from this fiasco, for some possibly interested -

When I came to Christ, I knew nothing about Original Sin, or Fall of Man, and had no belief in a first man Adam.

So I didn't pass the buck on of my guiltiness to Adam, because I didn't know anything much about that.

The ci ...[text shortened]... Adam's in whom I had no knowledge or belief in other than long discarded Sunday school stories.

Interesting that you've opted for the persona of a "ravenous wolf".
  3. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    15 Nov '17 02:58
    sonship: I huff and I puff and I blow the house down.

Interesting that you've opted for the persona of a "ravenous wolf".
    I would rather characterize it as him casting himself in one of his own fairy stories. 😛
  4. Standard memberBigDogg
    Secret RHP coder
    on the payroll
    Moves
    15 Nov '17 08:35
    Originally posted by @divegeester
    I guess that’s why discussions are more useful than definitions especially when a topic is not well defined by multiple definitions.
    Definitions have their use. They ensure discussion participants are really talking about the same thing when they use the same words.

Much of your issues with the concept of altruism spring from a fundamental misunderstanding of what that word means, IMO.
  5. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    15 Nov '17 08:413 edits
    Originally posted by @bigdoggproblem
    Definitions have their use. They ensure discussion participants are really talking about the same thing when they use the same words.

Much of your issues with the concept of altruism spring from a fundamental misunderstanding of what that word means, IMO.
    It’s not a “misunderstanding” by me nor an “old chestnut” I am swinging, nor is it any other casual sleight you try to put on it to strengthen your POV. Altruism is not well defined and there is a plethora of stuff out there arguing the conflicting perspectives which are being pitched in this and the other threads there have been on the subject.

But actually, altruism is not the subject of this thread.
  6. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    15 Nov '17 08:491 edit
    Disagreements over what is or isn’t altruism aside, my op is about what Jesus was saying when he used the parable. I think he was indirectly saying that overweening needle-picking doctrine and dogma is irrelevant.

I’ll post something more to support this later.
    Sonship I’m not sure if you want to address this loose premise I’m floating in this thread and the “what Philip did” thread?
  7. Standard memberBigDogg
    Secret RHP coder
    on the payroll
    Moves
    15 Nov '17 10:47
    It’s not a “misunderstanding” by me nor an “old chestnut” I am swinging, nor is it any other casual sleight you try to put on it to strengthen your POV. Altruism is not well defined and there is a plethora of stuff out there arguing the conflicting perspectives which are being pitched in this and the other threads there have been on the subject.

But actually, altruism is not the subject of this thread.
    "Altruism" is not off topic in a thread about the Good Samaritan. You are wishing it was, because you have made a controversial claim that you cannot be bothered to defend. 😴
  8. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    15 Nov '17 12:003 edits
    Originally posted by @bigdoggproblem
    "Altruism" is not off topic in a thread about the Good Samaritan. You are wishing it was, because you have made a controversial claim that you cannot be bothered to defend. 😴
    I’m not saying it’s off topic, I’m saying it’s not what my OP was about. When you put up a more engaging construct of your position which goes further than selective definitions, calling my position an “old chestnut” me as lacking understanding or any other type of lazy adhomien, then perhaps you will get some better responses. 😉

Meanwhile I am interested in my OP. Try starting a thread on altruism definitions and see how it goes.
  9. R
    Standard memberRemoved
    Moves
    15 Nov '17 12:141 edit
    [b]I huff and I puff and I blow the house down.

Interesting that you've opted for the persona of a "ravenous wolf".[/b]
    Well, ToO, I suspect that knowing you really cannot counter my Christian belief on biblical terms you opt for red herrings around style, process, and such peripheral minutia.

Oh, I know what a strawman argument is.
    I trust you know what a red herring argument is as well - a smelly fishy distraction dragged across the trail meant to throw off the hunt for the fox.
  10. R
    Standard memberRemoved
    Moves
    15 Nov '17 12:252 edits
    Sonship I’m not sure if you want to address this loose premise I’m floating in this thread and the “what Philip did” thread?
    I think I aready spoke something to interpreting the parable as an example of the need to be compassionate.

I said basically that it was a safe interpretation even if it wasn't so good.
    I implied that as long as an interpretation warmed our hearts of love and belief towards Christ and God, it was at least a safe interpretation.

Therefore I can sympathize with the altruistic interpretation.
    I prefer a treatment of it as Jesus meaning He Himself was the Good Samaritan.

Now the stuff about nit picking is in the eye of the beholder.
    I'm a mediocre chess player at best.
    I am told that I should spend more time on CHARTS and OPENINGS and really learn some stradegy. But you see, I really don't care about it THAT much. Because of this attitude pouring over charts and positions in well written books I might consider "nit-picking". As a result I take the slow way and am probably going to remain mediocre at chess for a good long while.

It is similar in diving into the revelation of the Bible.
    Many times (not always) complaints of "Oh that is counting angels on the head of a pen" or "Oh that is doctrinal nit picking" is just an apathetic attitude to remain kind of mediocre and superficial in getting into the revelation of the Bible.

I refer you to Paul telling his audience that though by now they should be eating "meat" of teaching, they were still only able to take "milk".

I don't make a MAJOR debate over someone only seeing the Parable of the Good Samaritan as advice to go off and be boyscout.
  11. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    15 Nov '17 15:40
    I think I aready spoke something to interpreting the parable as an example of the need to be compassionate.

I implied that as long as an interpretation warmed our hearts of love and belief towards Christ and God, it was at least a safe interpretation.

Therefore I can sympa ...[text shortened]... over someone only seeing the Parable of the Good Samaritan as advice to go off and be boyscout.
    I think the parable is an excellent example from jesus himself, and the account of Philip and the eunuch, that doctrine much less important than Christians such as yourself hold to. It’s actions that matter.
  12. PenTesting
    Moves
    15 Nov '17 20:511 edit

Therefore I can sympa ...[text shortened]... over someone only seeing the Parable of the Good Samaritan as advice to go off and be boyscout.
    Not everyone understands or follows Christ. Only his sheep. They hear him, they understand him and they obey him, and he gives them eternal life.
  13. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    15 Nov '17 21:23
    Originally posted by @rajk999
    Not everyone understands or follows Christ. Only his sheep. They hear him, they understand him and they obey him, and he gives them eternal life.
    Welcome back!

Josephw left yesterday so we have a slot.
  14. PenTesting
    Moves
    15 Nov '17 21:30
    Welcome back!

Josephw left yesterday so we have a slot.
    Thanks.
    Lucky me 🙂
  15. Joined
    15 Oct '06
    Moves
    15 Nov '17 22:422 edits
    Well, ToO, I suspect that knowing you really cannot counter my Christian belief on biblical terms you opt for red herrings around style, process, and such peripheral minutia.

Oh, I know what a [b]strawman
    argument is.
    I trust you know what a red herring argument is as well - a smelly fishy distraction dragged across the trail meant to throw off the hunt for the fox.[/b]
    lol. Actually I don't know if your response is more funny or sad.

If you actually understood the straw man fallacy, then you'd also understand that calling someone on it does not constitute a red herring. Evidently you don't really understand what a red herring is either.

For someone who is so prideful, you don't seem to have reservations about embarrassing yourself.

Be that as it may, I'm still willing to address any refutation you have for my assertion if you can manage to actually address it.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree