1. Joined
    19 Mar '05
    Moves
    30 Sep '11 22:06
    A couple problems I have with the story of Jesus.

First is the dieing on the cross....whats so great about that?... he suffered 3 days and died. I had an aunt who suffered for 40 years with MS. Never lost her faith ...went to church and trust me it was as much physical and mental suffering as a man would go through being nailed to a cross...especially if this man were a "God" and were absolutly certain when he died he would be shedding what must be his awful human bounds....he knew ....actually knew he would die and be "god" once that happened....in my opinion my aunt went thru way....WAY more than jesus,

Second....and how does Jesus dieing do anything for mankind?...I know about adam and eve and he died for our sins....but why does his dieing have anything to do with mankind sins....couldn't he just slam his hand in a door or something and say that clears up every thing?...
  2. England
    Moves
    30 Sep '11 22:23
    Originally posted by pete3246

First is the dieing on the cross....whats so great about that?... he suffered 3 days and died. I had an aunt who suffered for 40 years with MS. Never lost her faith ...went to church and trust me it was as much physical and mental suffering as a man would go through being nailed to a cross...especially ...[text shortened]... ouldn't he just slam his hand in a door or something and say that clears up every thing?...
    first he did not take 3 days to die, unless you are including the trials from after the arrest, if your aunt never lost her faith then you answer your second point yourself,
  3. Joined
    31 May '06
    Moves
    30 Sep '11 22:29
    Ahh .... I think I see your problem here....

You are trying to apply logic and rationality to a religion...

This doesn't work due to the religion not being logical or rational, and proud of it.

Those who apply logic and reason to religion (and Christianity in this particular instance)
    Find themselves uncovering all manner of atrocities, inconsistencies and absurdities
    in the aforementioned religion which leaves them wondering why in the world would
    anyone actually believe stuff that's this bat poop crazy....

This is of course because most Christians have never actually read the bible,
    And certainly didn't do it cover to cover, in a way that would actually let them see all the
    inconsistencies.

Any gaps they come across are simply papered over with, "god moves in mysterious ways"
  4. Standard memberRJHinds
    The Near Genius
    Fort Gordon
    Moves
    30 Sep '11 22:421 edit

First is the dieing on the cross....whats so great about that?... he suffered 3 days and died. I had an aunt who suffered for 40 years with MS. Never lost her faith ...went to church and trust me it was as much physical and mental suffering as a man would go through being nailed to a cross...especially ouldn't he just slam his hand in a door or something and say that clears up every thing?...
    I think you need to start going to church or take a good bible course
    to find out. It would be impossible to explain it to you here on this forum,
    unless the Holy Spirit got envolved.
  5. Standard memberRJHinds
    The Near Genius
    Fort Gordon
    Moves
    30 Sep '11 22:44
    Originally posted by googlefudge
    Ahh .... I think I see your problem here....

You are trying to apply logic and rationality to a religion...

This doesn't work due to the religion not being logical or rational, and proud of it.

Those who apply logic and reason to religion (and Christianity in this particular instance)
    Find themselves uncovering all manner of atrocities, inconsi ...[text shortened]... .

Any gaps they come across are simply papered over with, "god moves in mysterious ways"
    Apparently, neither have you.
  6. Joined
    19 Mar '05
    Moves
    30 Sep '11 22:48
    yes I mean't from the time he was arrested.

No I didn't answer my question....she was still in pain every day... she did have peace of mind though...weather the story is true or not.... it was at the very least a plecebo for her.....but it might have been just as effective if he had slammed his hand in the door and the story was pumped up around that
  7. Joined
    19 Mar '05
    Moves
    30 Sep '11 22:50
    Originally posted by RJHinds
    I think you need to start going to church or take a good bible course
    to find out. It would be impossible to explain it to you here on this forum,
    unless the Holy Spirit got envolved.
    why the bible though...why not just the old testament,,,or the quran.....I've been to church....catholic school....still don't get it.
  8. Account suspended
    Moves
    30 Sep '11 22:50
    yes I mean't from the time he was arrested.

No I didn't answer my question....she was still in pain every day... she did have peace of mind though...weather the story is true or not.... it was at the very least a plecebo for her.....but it might have been just as effective if he had slammed his hand in the door and the story was pumped up around that
    no it wouldn't, for there are no Biblical prophecies which detail slamming ones head against a door. Christ had to die the way he did for it has prophetic significance.
  9. PenTesting
    Moves
    30 Sep '11 22:52

First is the dieing on the cross....whats so great about that?... he suffered 3 days and died. I had an aunt who suffered for 40 years with MS. Never lost her faith ...went to church and trust me it was as much physical and mental suffering as a man would go through being nailed to a cross...especially ...[text shortened]... ouldn't he just slam his hand in a door or something and say that clears up every thing?...
    You joined this chess site over six years now not played a single move chess ???
    What else do you do? I bet you go to the hardware store to pick up groceries?
  10. Joined
    31 May '06
    Moves
    30 Sep '11 22:53
    Apparently, neither have you.
    Assuming you meant 'neither have you read the bible'....

No, not all the way through. or even most of it.

But then I am not the one claiming it to be the divinely inspired words of my creator.

To me it's just another holy book.

What gets me though is the number of people who do believe who seem not to have read it.
    I mean, If I believed in a god, and had a book that was supposed to be divinely inspired by him,
    There is no way I wouldn't have read it through cover to cover time and time again.

I do however check up from multiple sources the bits I quote when i make an argument about it.

I may not have gone through to find them myself, like-minded others have already done so.
    But I do check with multiple non-skeptic sites that they haven't misquoted the passages.
    And that the multiple translations do all make the same point, that's its not a peculiarity of that
    particular version.
  11. Joined
    19 Mar '05
    Moves
    30 Sep '11 22:571 edit
    actually I played lots of game about a year ago....then didn't come back til yesterday and my games are gone for some reason....

you look like a good first challenge...... bring it smart ass
  12. Standard memberRJHinds
    The Near Genius
    Fort Gordon
    Moves
    30 Sep '11 23:00
    why the bible though...why not just the old testament,,,or the quran.....I've been to church....catholic school....still don't get it.
    That might be your problem...Roman Catholic.
  13. Joined
    19 Mar '05
    Moves
    30 Sep '11 23:06
    could be...I've had a lot of Christians say that. I can understand there point...strictly taking the bible..and not all the window dressing the Catholics throw in there.

Still.... the Bible doesn't appear to make all that much sense. And I know Gods thoughts and ways are not are thoughts and ways....that kind of talk always seems pretty convient to me
  14. Standard memberRJHinds
    The Near Genius
    Fort Gordon
    Moves
    Originally posted by googlefudge
    Assuming you meant 'neither have you read the bible'....

No, not all the way through. or even most of it.

But then I am not the one claiming it to be the divinely inspired words of my creator.

To me it's just another holy book.

What gets me though is the number of people who do believe who seem not to have read it.
    I mean, If I believed in ...[text shortened]... ons do all make the same point, that's its not a peculiarity of that
    particular version.
    Some people only read the New Testament, which makes sense out of
    and explains the mysteries of the Old Testament and that is enough for
    them to come to belief. Others, like myself, are more stubborn and
    need more information to be persuaded. I am satisfied now, however.
  15. Joined
    31 May '06
    Moves
    That might be your problem...Roman Catholic.
    Yes because being a much older and larger denomination of Christianity they must know
    less than your recent upstart denomination....

Not that I am any fan of the Catholic Denomination you understand.

I just am amused at your dismissing a much older an larger denomination of your religion.
    Particularly as you once said there were more religious people back in history when "they
    were closer to the source". In Christianity, you don't get much further back than Catholicism.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree