1. Joined
    02 Aug '06
    Moves
    15 Oct '11 21:143 edits
    Originally posted by tomtom232
    Even 900 years pales in comparison to forever, jaywill, and I am sure you are aware of this fact. Furthermore, time can't bring death if you live forever.

Even 900 years pales in comparison to forever, jaywill, and I am sure you are aware of this fact. Furthermore, time can't bring death if you live forever.

You are not accounting for the Righteous God. Do you think that God would be longsuffering towards the sinful man indefinitely ?

He was pretty merciful to Cain.
    But how many other murders cried out for vindication ?
    While man is by trial and error learning goodness, trangressions, iniquities, sins are accumlating.

You expect God to simply not judge righteously the trangressing sinner as eons go by in his dubious evolution towards being more just ?

God says that He will not allow His Spirit to strive with man forever:

"And Jehovah said, My Spirit will not strive with man forever, for he indeed is flesh; so his days will be one hundred twenty years." (Gen. 6:3)

You also have in the mix Satan, his demons, his fallen angels amassing a terrible plot to infest man with occult invasions. You seem not to realize that in taking of the forbidden tree Adam did not become independent. He became the subject of the kingdom of darkness, the opposition party to God.

He was no longer neutral. He moved from his neutral stage, his innocent stage, to choose a master. And it was not God but the rebel against God. He had been warned.
  2. SubscriberSuzianne
    Misfit Queen
    Isle of Misfit Toys
    Moves
    15 Oct '11 21:15
    Originally posted by mikelom
    If you believe Adam lived for 900 years...... my opinion of you is going to be flushed down the bog! You're unreal! 🙁

-m.
    Proof of what I was saying in another thread. Disbelief of one link in the chain removes belief of all the rest of it.
  3. SubscriberSuzianne
    Misfit Queen
    Isle of Misfit Toys
    Moves
    15 Oct '11 21:191 edit
    Originally posted by jaywill

You are not accounting for the Righteous God. Do you think that God would be longsuffering towards the sinful man indefinitely ?

But ho stage, to choose a master. And it was not God but the rebel against God. He had been warned.
    The understanding of God, of those who would turn their face from God, is bound to be flawed.

You seem not to realize that in taking of the forbidden tree Adam did not become independent. He became the subject if the kingdom of darkness, the opposition party to God. He was no longer neutral. He moved from his neutral stage, his innocent stage, to choose a master. And it was not God but the rebel against God. He had been warned.

Well said.
  4. Wat?
    Moves
    15 Oct '11 21:32
    Originally posted by Suzianne
    Proof of what I was saying in another thread. Disbelief of one link in the chain removes belief of all the rest of it.
    I'm a literalist. I don't believe in impossibilities. That's clear!

For somebody to try to convince me that a man lived for 900 years is like telling me a hot flame won't give me burns. To me that is insanity.

So the rest of the chain goes? If so, I'm glad I WAS NEVER a party to such ludicrousness.

Now if the said was metaphorically speaking there are options, and buy in would be possible. However, there are extremists who take every word of books for Gospel (excusing the pun), and that is, indeed, preposterous and verging on total incomprehension of self.

-m.
  5. Joined
    15 Jun '06
    Moves
    15 Oct '11 21:40
    Originally posted by jaywill

But ho ...[text shortened]... stage, to choose a master. And it was not God but the rebel against God. He had been warned.
    Genesis 3

22 Then the LORD God said, "Behold, the man has become like one of us, knowing good and evil; and now, lest he put forth his hand and take also of the tree of life, and eat, and live for ever"

23 therefore the LORD God sent him forth from the garden of Eden, to till the ground from which he was taken. 24 He drove out the man; and at the east of the garden of Eden he placed the cherubim, and a flaming sword which turned every way, to guard the way to the tree of life.

There... since neither of you want to read it.
  6. SubscriberSuzianne
    Misfit Queen
    Isle of Misfit Toys
    Moves
    15 Oct '11 21:44
    Genesis 3

22 Then the LORD God said, "Behold, the man has become like one of us, knowing good and evil; and now, lest he put forth his hand and take also of the tree of life, and eat, and live for ever"

23 therefore the LORD God sent him forth from the garden of Eden, to till the ground from which he was taken. 24 He drove out the man; and at ...[text shortened]... o guard the way to the tree of life.

I thought what jaywill wrote on this exact subject was quite clear.

God was trying to limit the damage Man had done to himself.
  7. Joined
    15 Jun '06
    Moves
    15 Oct '11 21:521 edit
    I thought what jaywill wrote on this exact subject was quite clear.

God was trying to limit the damage Man had done to himself.
    Yes, because man would be so damaged by living forever even though that is what you repent to achieve?

Edit: Why even put the tree there? God must have extreme mental disabilities.
  8. SubscriberSuzianne
    Misfit Queen
    Isle of Misfit Toys
    Moves
    15 Oct '11 21:55
    Originally posted by mikelom
    I'm a literalist. I don't believe in impossibilities. That's clear!

For somebody to try to convince me that a man lived for 900 years is like telling me a hot flame won't give me burns. To me that is insanity.

So the rest of the chain goes? If so, I'm glad I WAS NEVER a party to such ludicrousness.

Now if the said was metaphorically speaking there a ...[text shortened]... un), and that is, indeed, preposterous and verging on total incomprehension of self.

-m.
    I don't believe in impossibilities either.

That is why I believe the word of God.

It's quite clear He was not talking in allegories, or in parables on this point.

Later on, part of the lineage is given with how long they lived. Clearly, a downward trend occurred in the generations after Adam, until Man is now at his average of "three score and 10" years. This is just one result of Adam's fall.
  9. SubscriberSuzianne
    Misfit Queen
    Isle of Misfit Toys
    Moves
    15 Oct '11 22:00
    Yes, because man would be so damaged by living forever even though that is what you repent to achieve?

Edit: Why even put the tree there? God must have extreme mental disabilities.
    Don't you make your home nice, yet admonish your kids and pets not to destroy it?

And no. This is another example of what I meant when I said those who turn their face from God have a flawed understanding of God. What would damage Man further would be to allow him to live forever after learning of good and evil. And you forget jaywill's other point. Man chose Satan over God. Living forever under the thrall of Satan would destroy Man unredeemingly.
  10. Joined
    15 Jun '06
    Moves
    15 Oct '11 22:062 edits
    Don't you make your home nice, yet admonish your kids and pets not to destroy it?

And no. This is another example of what I meant when I said those who turn their face from God have a flawed understanding of God. What would damage Man further would be to allow him to live forever [b]after learning of good and evil
    . And you forget jaywil ose Satan over God. Living forever under the thrall of Satan would destroy Man unredeemingly.[/b]
    Lol this is ludicrous.
    You don't grasp forever... if we lived forever we would come to understand and know everything because we have as much time as we want to come to understand anything.
    We would, logically, HAVE to figure everything out given an eternity to do so.
    We would be able to manipulate matter in the way god does and create life the way god does.
    THIS is why god guards the way to the tree of life if the events in the bible are accurate which they can't be or else our sattelites would find a flaming sword that moves to and fro. LMAO

Edit: I do make my home nice but I don't put a gun on a pedastal in the middle of the living room and tell kids not to point it at themselves and pull the trigger either. I just keep guns away from children.
  11. Standard memberRBHILL
    Acts 13:48
    California
    Moves
    15 Oct '11 22:061 edit
    Originally posted by galveston75
    Any thoughts on what the world would be like now if Adam & Eve would not have sinned?
    No gas in cars, because that would effect our air. No babies born out of marriage. So some of you might not be here?
  12. Wat?
    Moves
    15 Oct '11 22:21
    No I don't. Who am I to admonish anybody?

Things are replacable. Learning is a necessity!

Real home is inside oneself. Things are just things that are craved for. They mean little in the bigger picture of self.

But then, I am atheist. What do my views count for to you?

-m.
  13. SubscriberSuzianne
    Misfit Queen
    Isle of Misfit Toys
    Moves
    16 Oct '11 14:15
    Lol this is ludicrous.
    You don't grasp forever... if we lived forever we would come to understand and know everything because we have as much time as we want to come to understand anything.
    We would, logically, HAVE to figure everything out given an eternity to do so.
    We would be able to manipulate matter in the way god does and create life the way g ...[text shortened]... t to point it at themselves and pull the trigger either. I just keep guns away from children.
    No one has yet lived forever, so it is a specious argument to say that you would know what happens when one lives forever. I especially cannot imagine living forever under the thrall of Satan. God did them (and us) a favor by keeping them from the Tree of Life.

And my example was overly simplistic. Kids should not have total Free Will. Adam and Eve did. They chose to sin.
  14. Joined
    15 Jun '06
    Moves
    16 Oct '11 19:28
    No one has yet lived forever, so it is a specious argument to say that you would know what happens when one lives forever. I especially cannot imagine living forever under the thrall of Satan. God did them (and us) a favor by keeping them from the Tree of Life.

And my example was overly simplistic. Kids should not have total Free Will. Adam and Eve did. They chose to sin.
    It is not a specious argument it is a logical one. If you have the ability to do something you will, given an infinite time to do so.
    If you have the ability to understand then you will understand everything, given an infinite time to do so.
  15. Joined
    02 Aug '06
    Moves
    16 Oct '11 20:054 edits
    Genesis 3

23 therefore the LORD God sent him forth from the garden of Eden, to till the ground from which he was taken. 24 He drove out the man; and at ...[text shortened]... o guard the way to the tree of life.

I've read it for years. I read it much many times.

Do you go on to read more ?

Now. I like that you point to the words in question. But look again. It is left unspoken something by God about the misfortune of Adam having taken of the tree of the knowledge of good and evil.

"And Jehovah God said, Behold, the man has become like one of Us, knowing good and evil; and now lest he put forth his hand and take also from the tree of life and eat and live forever - (v.22)

Therefore Jehovah God sent him forth from the garden of Eden .... So He drove the man out, and at the eat of the garden of He placed the cherubim and a flaming sword to guard the way to the tree of life."

Verse 22 seems incomplete. There is some unspoken horrors associated with man living forever and having the knowledge of good and evil in this new state.

We get some hint of the horrors to come as we view the gradual degradation of man from that point. Beginning with Cain's inability to restrict his jealous rage which resulted in cold blooded murder with no remorse.

It is down hill from there until the universal judgment in Noah's day. Man has a new master - Satan and the Satanic nature of Sin driving him into degradation in spite of his "knowledge of good and evil".

I ask you again. Would you like to have only the knowledge of good and evil without the life power to DO the good you know or RESIST the evil you know ?

That is more like hell. That is not paradise.

" ... Behold the man has become like one of Us, knowing good and evil; and now, lest he put forth his hand and take also from the tree of life and eat and live forever - ... "

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree