1. Standard memberBosse de Nage
    Zellulärer Automat
    Spiel des Lebens
    Moves
    05 Nov '08 17:49
    Originally posted by Mexico
    I was watching the excellent HBO Rome series recently and it struck me......

What ever happened to all the Greek and Roman gods?
    There are many ways to answer this question. This is probably the laziest:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Decline_of_Hellenistic_polytheism
  2. weedhopper
    Moves
    05 Nov '08 18:21
    You folks do know we have freedom to support (or not support) any religion we choose, right? There's no "boot" forcing you to believe in "X", or anything else.
  3. Cape Town
    Moves
    05 Nov '08 18:58
    Originally posted by Zahlanzi
    i don't agree. all successful religions have their asses lodged in politically. the question was how did new religions arised. and that is answered by looking at what did they offered extra or instead of the old religion, who did they appeal to, etc.

once established as predominant, of course they will meddle politically to retain power.
    I still dispute your judgment that newer and more successful religions are better than older ones they replaced. I think that the ways in which both Christianity and Islam have spread in certain instances have been despicable.
    Christianity wasn't and isn't a new religion, but rather an offshoot of Judaism - the same applies to Islam.
    Both meddled in politics very early on and have done so ever since and owe a significant proportion of their success to that.
  4. Cape Town
    Moves
    05 Nov '08 18:59
    Originally posted by PinkFloyd
    You folks do know we have freedom to support (or not support) any religion we choose, right? There's no "boot" forcing you to believe in "X", or anything else.
    I have records of several of my ancestors who spent a number of years in Jail for being the wrong type of Christian.
  5. Standard memberBosse de Nage
    Zellulärer Automat
    Spiel des Lebens
    Moves
    05 Nov '08 19:281 edit
    Originally posted by twhitehead
    Christianity wasn't and isn't a new religion, but rather an offshoot of Judaism - the same applies to Islam.
    By that logic, French wasn't a new language -- just an offshoot of Latin.

Christianity developed out of Judaism but was clearly a new religion.

As a new religion, Christianity wasn't better than the religions it displaced -- but it had more vitality. The old gods were, well, old ...
  6. Cape Town
    Moves
    06 Nov '08 08:05
    Originally posted by Bosse de Nage
    By that logic, French wasn't a new language -- just an offshoot of Latin.

Christianity developed out of Judaism but was clearly a new religion.

As a new religion, Christianity wasn't better than the religions it displaced -- but it had more vitality. The old gods were, well, old ...
    When was the first French word spoken? Is what they speak in the US and call English (or American English) a new language?

The boundaries are blurred, and although Jesus introduced a number of new concepts, many of the concepts (such as monotheism) were part of Judaism. Many other concepts were introduced by Paul and others not Jesus.

Is protestantism a new religion? It too made major changes.

I am not really disputing that Christianity was a new religion, but I do dispute Zahlanzi's claim that it was better etc or that it spread due to its appeal. Judaism didn't spread mostly because of the core concept that Jews were the chosen people and the total lack of evangelism to other peoples. Amongst the Jews however, Christianity was largely unsuccessful implying that Judaism has some advantages over Christianity.
  7. Joined
    04 Feb '05
    Moves
    06 Nov '08 08:47
    I still dispute your judgment that newer and more successful religions are better than older ones they replaced. I think that the ways in which both Christianity and Islam have spread in certain instances have been despicable.
    Both meddled in pol ...[text shortened]... arly on and have done so ever since and owe a significant proportion of their success to that.
    by very early on you mean after the several hundred years of crucifixions, keeping the lions fed, burnings, etc?
  8. Joined
    04 Feb '05
    Moves
    06 Nov '08 08:49
    When was the first French word spoken? Is what they speak in the US and call English (or American English) a new language?

The boundaries are blurred, and although Jesus introduced a number of new concepts, many of the concepts (such as monotheism) were part of Judaism. Many other concepts were introduced by Paul and others not Jesus.

Is protestanti ...[text shortened]... stianity was largely unsuccessful implying that Judaism has some advantages over Christianity.
    when you face execution if you don't convert and still choose death rather than give up your religion, don't you think the religion you are willing to die for is more appealing, better than the other one?

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree