1. Meddling with things
    Moves
    12 Jun '05 22:001 edit
    Originally posted by lucifershammer
    A name is simply something others use to identify us and what we use to identify ourselves. Why would God have one particular name?
    Vapid Mythical Character will fit the bill in that case.
  2. London
    Moves
    12 Jun '05 22:06
    Originally posted by aardvarkhome
    Vapid Mythical Character will fit the bill in that case.
    Says you.

But seriously, why waste your time posting if you have nothing useful to add?
  3. Meddling with things
    Moves
    12 Jun '05 22:13
    Says you.

But seriously, why waste your time posting if you have nothing useful to add?
    I feel I have plenty to contribute; do you assume that only jesus cultists have a spiritual dimension? If you do then you're as arrogant as the rest of your ilk.
  4. Riding the Atom Bomb
    Moves
    12 Jun '05 22:22
    I feel I have plenty to contribute; do you assume that only jesus cultists have a spiritual dimension? If you do then you're as arrogant as the rest of your ilk.
    you always were good with words
  5. London
    Moves
    12 Jun '05 22:25
    I feel I have plenty to contribute;
    I'm sure you do. The particular snide remark I was replying to, however, did not.
  6. Meddling with things
    Moves
    12 Jun '05 22:29
    Originally posted by dale21
    you always were good with words
    I feel I've been damned with faint praise.

Thankyou
  7. Meddling with things
    Moves
    12 Jun '05 22:31
    I'm sure you do. The particular snide remark I was replying to, however, did not.
    Says you.

8. Hmmm . . .
    Moves
    13 Jun '05 05:123 edits
    As Nyxie pointed out, God said to Moses “I am that I am.” In Hebrew eheyeh asher eheyeh. YHVH (no vowels in Hebrew, generally thought to be pronounced Yahweh or Yahveh) means something like “the One who is,” a third-person variant of eheyeh. (the YH is feminine, the VH masculine, so that the name is said to include both genders).

At some point (around the time of Ezekiel, if I remember correctly) this name was declared too holy to say, so in liturgical readings from the Torah scrolls, and liturgical prayers and blessings, “Adonai” (usually translated as Lord, sometimes in all caps in the OT) was substituted. Non-liturgically, Orthodox Jews usually say “Hashem” (which means “the name” ) or sometimes “Havayah” (which means “being” or “existence,” and is almost YHVH backwards). In my Orthodox Hebrew/English Tanach (the “OT” ), the English version just puts in Hashem.

The first half of the name remains acceptable to say, as in Hallelu Yah, literally “praise Yah.”

Sometimes titles become names (e.g., “El” ), sometimes names become titles. To Jews, YHVH is the name, perhaps because it is one that has no links to other cultures—mainly because it is the one given to Moshe in his vision at the burning bush.
  9. Standard memberroyalchicken
    CHAOS GHOST!!!
    Elsewhere
    Moves
    13 Jun '05 05:49
    This thread would be better titled 'For whom was the halibut fit?'
  10. England
    Moves
    13 Jun '05 09:29
    yeah i agree. does that mean that nobody believes in the trinity now?
    sorry for taking so long to reply, the trinity is god the father, his son, and the holy spirit, the father sent his son to fufill the word and spread the word of the truth, the spirit does the work that is required, but there is the term god the father, god the son, and god the spirit but the last 2 do not themselves raise up or level with god but man has given them the title. so the trinity is and always will be but for man the son is the saviour that god will not refuse.
  11. Standard memberfrogstomp
    Bruno's Ghost
    In a hot place
    Moves
    13 Jun '05 09:49
    In that case gods name is........................AAAAAAAAAAARRRRRGH

Oi you, careful where you hurl those thunderbolts!
    Mister Dammit?
  12. Riding the Atom Bomb
    Moves
    13 Jun '05 12:05
    Originally posted by stoker
    sorry for taking so long to reply, the trinity is god the father, his son, and the holy spirit, the father sent his son to fufill the word and spread the word of the truth, the spirit does the work that is required, but there is the term god the father, god the son, and god the spirit but the last 2 do not themselves raise up or level with god but man has giv ...[text shortened]... o the trinity is and always will be but for man the son is the saviour that god will not refuse.
    the father is greater than the son, and must be seperate in order for the son to die, and the father to raise him.
  13. NY
    Moves
    14 Jun '05 02:41
    what do u think his name is, not title.........
    you dont know it.. shesh.. thats easy..
    its.. " "
    only true believers can see it though.. 😉
  14. Joined
    16 Dec '04
    Moves
    14 Jun '05 05:16
    what do u think his name is, not title.........
    Lucifer said that he was going to replace THE MOST HIGH GOD, so that must be one on HIS names.
  15. Standard memberfrogstomp
    Bruno's Ghost
    In a hot place
    Moves
    14 Jun '05 06:45
    Originally posted by vistesd
    As Nyxie pointed out, God said to Moses “I am that I am.” In Hebrew eheyeh asher eheyeh. YHVH (no vowels in Hebrew, generally thought to be pronounced Yahweh or Yahveh) means something like “the One who is,” a third-person variant of eheyeh. (the YH is feminine, the VH masculine, so that the name is said to include both genders).

At some poin ...[text shortened]... other cultures—mainly because it is the one given to Moshe in his vision at the burning bush.
    Moses and Abram were not contemporaneous and neither were modern Jews.
    There were cuneiform tablets at Ebla and Ugarit written in hebrew prior to Moses that refer to EL. The Jewish Religion doesn't seem to have begun.
    My understanding is, there was a considerable amount of difficulty keeping the people from backsliding into paganism, even after Moses.
    And before Abram all they had available was paganism.

The transition from polytheism to monotheism is a fascinating subject

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree