1. Standard memberamannion
    Andrew Mannion
    Melbourne, Australia
    Moves
    18 Feb '08 06:00
    Originally posted by jaywill
    Thanks for the clarification.

I entered into this discussion most recently, I think, because someone made a sweeping statement that ID was nonsense.

I think that idea itself is nonsense.

The universe is very hostile to life. But we have it here on earth in this little corner of the planet.

Look at a one celled amoeba. Its a tiny creature, s ...[text shortened]... iring something like 1,000 sets 30 volume encyclopedias also probably requires intelligence.
    That's a little misleading.
    The molecular structure of a mineral is also rather complex and would take a lot to 'spell out'.
    But I think we can both agree, a mineral is not a living thing.
    I agree with you that living things - even the simplest of them - are quite complex. But this tells us nothing other than that they're complex.
    Now, do we have a model that can explain this complexity - yes we do. Are there any viable alternatives - no, not yet.

You may not like this. You may not be able to 'believe' the model we have - but this does not make it true or make it a useful and viable model.
  2. Joined
    02 Aug '06
    Moves
    18 Feb '08 16:331 edit
    ============================

That's a little misleading.
    The molecular structure of a mineral is also rather complex and would take a lot to 'spell out'. But I think we can both agree, a mineral is not a living thing.
    =======================================

Well then let's talk abut "misleading".

1.) I didn't say that a complex mineral was a living thing.

2.) I did not say that the only complex things are living things.

My particular example in this case was a "primitive" so to speak amoeba. Actually it was Richard Dawkins' example in his anti-ID book, an example which I think backfires on his premise.

=================================
    I agree with you that living things - even the simplest of them - are quite complex. But this tells us nothing other than that they're complex.
    ====================================

Sure, a muddy pool is also complex. But the DNA sequence of the amoeba, not to mention thousands upon thousands of other organisms, is a message.

The meaning of this message I am typing to you does not come out of the molecules of the pixels used to form the letters.

A.E. Wilder Smith (Ph.D. in Organic Chemistry with two other doctorates in Pharmacology) wrote in "The Natural Sciences Know Nothing of Evolution"

"Evolution is thus basically an attempt to explan the origin of life from matter and energy without the aid of know-how, concept, teleonomy, or exogenous (extra-material) information. It represents an attempt to explain the formation of the genetic code of DNA without the aid of a genetic concept (information) originating outside the molecules of the chromosomes. This is comparable to the assumption that the text of a book originates from the paper molecules on which the sentences appear, and not from any external source of information ..."[/b]

I think this particular paragraph expresses something important. This is not a wholesale endoresment of everything this particular scientist has written.

I said that the message conveyed in the DNA sequence displays to me intelligent design. I don't think such things come come about with no intelligent input.

This is not a new idea. And I don't think it is an outmoded idea.

Now, do we have a model that can explain this complexity - yes we do. Are there any viable alternatives - no, not yet.

You may not like this. You may not be able to 'believe' the model we have - but this does not make it true or make it a useful and viable model.

Time again to step back and look at the big picture.

So you think I would be better advized to believe that the thousands of species of organisms on our planet came about accidently with no intelligent input?
  3. Joined
    31 May '07
    Moves
    18 Feb '08 18:12
    Kelly, the last time there was concern about a flu bug coming around, did you get a flu jab?
  4. Joined
    02 Apr '06
    Moves
    18 Feb '08 18:21
    So you think I would be better advized to believe that the thousands of species of organisms on our planet came about accidently with no intelligent input?
    Evolution does not deal with the genesis of life, it offers an explanation for the complexity of life we see.

Please please try to understand that evolution is the result of a natural selection process, and that however many times you say it, it is not entirely random, like a 'whirlwind junkyard', or a 'meteor boeing' or whatever other poor analogy you care to use.

What do you think of the idea that God uses evolution as part of his plan? You kind of scooted off without giving me an answer....
  5. Standard memberagryson
    AGW Hitman
    http://xkcd.com/386/
    Moves
    18 Feb '08 21:03
    Thanks for the clarification.

I entered into this discussion most recently, I think, because someone made a sweeping statement that ID was nonsense.

I think that idea itself is nonsense.

The universe is very hostile to life. But we have it here on earth in this little corner of the planet.

Look at a one celled amoeba. Its a tiny creature, s ...[text shortened]... iring something like 1,000 sets 30 volume encyclopedias also probably requires intelligence.
    This is an argument from incredulity, a logical fallacy. Because it is seen as unlikely, or as unbelievable, it is decided that it is synonymous with being impossible.
    Evolution coupled with natural selection, as pointed out to you many times deals with all of that complexity nicely, indeed the useless DNA and dead proteomic network paths found in every living creature is testament to a lack of design. Design entails top down creation of something, iterative simplification. A bottom up approach, like evolution wth natural selection naturally leads one to such messy yet still functioning networks. Indeed it helps produce more dramatic mutations.

Also, in your constructing sentence argument, there is another problem; to construct such a sentence is not something that requires intelligence. We'll do a thought experiment:
    In a "letter world" we have an environment which is hostile to letters such as c,d,f,i,j,m,n,q,v,w,x,y,z. All "animals" (words) in this world would tend not to contain these letters, though exceptions may exist for a little while before dying out. The letters we are left with are the ones in "pleasetakeoutthegarbage" (natural selection has just halved the number of variables), nwo if our environment favours animals who have a mix of vowels and consonants for example, we are starting to get closer and closer to our sentence. As time goes on, the environment is continually "selecting" those words and collections of words which most closely match the one best suited to the environment (Please take out the garbage). As time goes on, the collection of words asymptoticly approaches the required sentence and hey presto, the sentence is written.

The example above is a thought experiment which demonstrates the basic principle, but in a natural system the same holds true, a replicating system, with mutation in an environment will tend towards a form which suits that environment. Since the environment (over generational timescales) changes, we don't arrive at "perfect organisms", though some whose environments have stayed relatively constant have remained well adapted to it, sharks and coelocanths being an example.

Now as a reward for reading all of that, I have one question, you claim to seek truth, and say that science, being based on certin logical assumptions cannot be guaranteed to be approaching it, but in that case, how can you be sure that your argument that it was circular be true? Science does make certain very basic assumptions. It tests these assumptions in its models however. If our base assumptions were way off, our predictions would likely be off, and, like evolution, through a harsh environment of self-criticism, we weed out the false assumption and asymptotically approach the truth. We may never get there, indeed it's quite likely we'll never get there, but we'll make a damn better job of it then anything else out there.

Ultimately, I base my world on the assumption that what I see is really there. You base your world on the assumption that what you don't see is really there. While either has a certain probability of being the truth, which one do you see as the most rational choice?
  6. Standard memberagryson
    AGW Hitman
    Moves
    18 Feb '08 21:08
    If you replace the word "accidently" in the above sentence with "through a process of random mutation in a selective environment", then yes, you would be better advised, though the subtlety between the two parts in inverted commas is a very very important one to grasp before rejecting the advice.
  7. Standard memberamannion
    Andrew Mannion
    Melbourne, Australia
    Moves
    18 Feb '08 21:46
    Yes.
  8. Joined
    02 Aug '06
    Moves
    18 Feb '08 21:582 edits
    Snowinscotland,

=====================================

I didn't intend any insult or putdown, I was simply saying one can either try to understand the natural world using what we have got, or assign supernatural forces to what we do not understand. And to suggest that a plant grows through the intelligence of God is a bit bizzare for me I am afraid. I will stick to 'We are here through the grace of God' thank you.

========================================

Okay, you meant no put down.

Richard Dawkins states "The reason we know for certain we are all related, including bacteria, is the universality of the genetic code and other biochemical fundamentals."

An email sent to Kenneth Johnson on July 10,2001. Turek and Giesler state the entire exchange can be read at http://www.arn.org/docs/pj_weekly_010813.htm

This common genetic code could also be interpreted as the result of a common creative design to have all earth living things to be capable of living in the same biosphere. It is noted that if every living thing were distinct biochemically, a food chain probably would not be possible.

The alleged 85% to 95% similarity of DNA between apes and humans might be due to a Darwinist ancestral relationship. But another possibility interpretation is that the similarity is a common intelligent designing agent, that is a common creator to both apes and humans.

I could also line up 8 or 10 kitchen utinsils from a teaspoon to a deep crockpot. The spoon has something in common with the cup, the frying pan, the deep dish pan, the boiling pot, etc. A good design can be altared to produce a variety of useful results similiar to each other.

The same could be true of living organisms.

In biology similarity and progression can be interpreted in others ways besides relationship of ancestral descent.
  9. Joined
    02 Apr '06
    Moves
    18 Feb '08 22:251 edit
    Richard Dawkins states [b]"The reason we know for certain we are all related, including bacteria, is the universality of the genetic code and other biochemical fundamentals."

An email sent to Kenneth Johnson on July 10,2001. Turek and Giesler state the entire exchange can be read at http://www.arn.org/docs/pj_weekly_010813.htm

This common ge ...[text shortened]... y and progression can be interpreted in others ways besides relationship of ancestral descent.[/b]
    So when we see evolution happening, eg in a petri dish, where we can demonstrate selection for resistance to eg acidic or alkaline environment, it must surely be possible to acknowledge that this is a path that is travelled by the life around us?

How does flu change? Is it created afresh, or modified? Hospital bugs - are they versions of what we already know? We can track the versions, so how is it possible to deny what is real and, if you want, part of God's plan?

If I might be so bold, Who are you, to say how God operates?
  10. Standard memberagryson
    AGW Hitman
    Moves
    18 Feb '08 22:33
    Snowinscotland,

[b]=====================================

I didn't intend any insult or putdown, I was simply saying one can either try to understand the natural world using what we have got, or assign supernatural forces to what we do not understand. And to suggest that a plant grows through the intelligence of God is a bit bizzare for me I ...[text shortened]... nd progression can be interpreted in others ways besides relationship of ancestral descent.
    That's a fallacy, one you should be clear on, but obviously aren't. It is not a matter of synonomously equivalent interpretations of the same data. A design perspective cannot account for genetic lineages in the same way an evolutionary model can. Likewise with the coherent phylogenetic (like a family tree, but across species, that is a very rough simile, not a definition) lineages of everything that is alive on earth today.
    Design would not require a clear branching off of monotremes (platypus is a monotreme), marsupials (e.g. kangaroos), reptiles from mammals in the clear developmental manner the genetic record gives them. You cannot state that a design view is equivalently valid for the genetic evidence as evolution. Design would not require a clear branching off of chordates (creatures with skulls) from non-chordates.
    The similarities are infinitely better explained by the evolutionary model than any alternative. Bottom line is you can't equate the two as you have done.
  11. Joined
    02 Aug '06
    Moves
    18 Feb '08 23:222 edits
    Originally posted by snowinscotland
    So when we [b]see evolution happening, eg in a petri dish, where we can demonstrate selection for resistance to eg acidic or alkaline environment, it must surely be possible to acknowledge that this is a path that is travelled by the life around us?

How does flu change? Is it created afresh, or modified? Hospital bugs - are they versions of wha ...[text shortened]... ant, part of God's plan?

If I might be so bold, Who are you, to say how God operates?[/b]
    You now ask me "Who are YOU to say how God operates?"

Are you suggesting that a possible operating God does so unintelligently? That would not prove intelligent design would it?

Okay, so you have a creator who possibly does not create intelligently. That's no plus for me as far as ID is concerned.

The know-how, the concept, the ability to look ahead, the foresight THAT is what I think the evidence leads to.

I am saying that the evidence, I think, points to intelligent design.

I think Intelligent Design does not necessarily mean Divine Design. It may mean that. But ID focuses on the intelligence rather than divinity. That's what some of us feel the evidence leads to. And we should be willing to follow the evidence wherever it leads.

You have seen a satallite go across the night sky haven't you? At a certain point it disappears from view when it gets out of the earth's shadow.

This is like ID to me. At a certain point you creep out of the issue of Intelligence into the area of Divinity or the philosophic or theological questions of WHO or WHAT is the Designing Agent.

In a scientific setting some of us are just interested in the Intellegence part. Moving out that arena into the arena of "Well WHO or WHAT is this Intellegent agent?" - that is the satallite disappearing off of the Scientific Evidence sky into the realm of philosophy or theology.

The evidence, I say points to intelligence. Even if it is Evolution that is responsible for multi species I still think the evidence points to "know-how" and concept and goal oriented channeling.
  12. Standard memberamannion
    Andrew Mannion
    Melbourne, Australia
    Moves
    18 Feb '08 23:29
    You now ask me [b]"Who are YOU to say how God operates?"

Are you suggesting that a possible operating God does so unintelligently? That would not prove intelligent design would it?

Okay, so you have a creator who possibly does not create intelligently. That's no plus for me as far as ID is concerned.

The know-how, the concept, the ability ...[text shortened]... till think the evidence points to "know-how" and concept and goal oriented channeling.[/b]
    Sorry,you don't get out of it that easily.
    Intelligent Design is code for supernatural creator.
    How can it be otherwise?
    If you focus on the intelligence, I would ask what is the nature of this intelligence? If not God, what? Intelligent aliens? All that would do is set us back a bit - we still need an explanation for the existence of the intelligent aliens.
    No, ID is creation pure and simple.
    You also suggest that following the evidence points you to ID. What is this evidence that you're following? Is it simply your inability to conceive of the natural development of life?
    If that's the case I would hardly call that overwhelming evidence ...
  13. Joined
    02 Aug '06
    Moves
    18 Feb '08 23:332 edits
    Originally posted by agryson
    That's a fallacy, one you should be clear on, but obviously aren't. It is not a matter of synonomously equivalent interpretations of the same data. A design perspective cannot account for genetic lineages in the same way an evolutionary model can. Likewise with the coherent phylogenetic (like a family tree, but across species, that is a very rough simile, no ...[text shortened]... tionary model than any alternative. Bottom line is you can't equate the two as you have done.
    Is there an apparent graduated genetic lineage between all kinds of apes leading to human beings?

I mean could you line up all the different kinds of apes and arrive at a clear graduated lineage culminating in a human being?

If not to what would you attribute the difficulty in doing this? Has anyone shown a continous scaler ascent of all kinds of apes to a human being (even allowing for gaps due to possible extinction )?
  14. Standard memberamannion
    Andrew Mannion
    Melbourne, Australia
    Moves
    18 Feb '08 23:57
    Is there an apparent graduated genetic lineage between all kinds of apes leading to human beings?

I mean could you line up all the different kinds of apes and arrive at a clear graduated lineage culminating in a human being?

If not to what would you attribute the difficulty in doing this? Has anyone shown a continous scaler ascent of all kinds of apes to a human being (even allowing for gaps due to possible extinction )?
    You're assuming that the culmination in the ape lineage is humans.
    Why would this be the case?
    Implicit in your assumption is the common mistaken view of evolution as having some sort of inherent direction or progress. There is none.
  15. Standard memberAThousandYoung
    or different places
    tinyurl.com/2tp8tyx8
    Moves
    19 Feb '08 04:391 edit

Each ape species is it's own pinnacle of evolution. There's no way to rank them, and one did not descend from another; they descended from common ancestors.

Can you line up your brothers and sisters (and yourself) into a "graduated genetic lineage" leading to you?

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree