1. Cape Town
    Moves
    29 Mar '06 08:57
    Originally posted by KellyJay
    Let me ask you, have you witnessed major evolutionary change?
    Yes I have. Of course you are now going to start a whole discusion on the meaning of 'witness'.

Has any major evolutionary change every been recorded anywhere,
    outside of someone connecting dots on what they 'think' might
    be the right way to look at fossils?

Yes they have. And in addition to that connecting the dots is what science is all about.

Has anyone seen in a lab or the wild anything outside of small changes within living systems?
    Please make a definition of 'small changes' as the usual creationist game is to move such goal posts every time a proof is provided until the definition becomes something like this: A small change is anything that can be seen in the lab".

I believe you will see that the only thing supporting the belief system that is evolution, is how people connect the dots within the fossil record, which may or may not be true, when it comes to major changes in life.
    I was not convinced of the validity of evolution by looking at the fosil record. I do not consider the fosil record to be essential to the Theory but it is certainly evidence of its validity. Predictions are made by the theory about what sort of fosils should be found and where (age/strata) they should be expected to be found and discoveries are then made which match these predictions. This is a hallmark of a good scientific Theory.

It is a belief, a matter of faith, it is not anything that can be shown as true to that degree only believed.
    Kelly

Shown as true to what degree? Evolution is neither true nor false. It is a scientific Theory. Again I will say, you clearly do not understand what science is.
    The only belief or faith involved in my case is my belief and faith that the scientific method is the best way to seek the answers to my questions about the universe.
  2. Standard memberXanthosNZ
    Cancerous Bus Crash
    p^2.sin(phi)
    Moves
    29 Mar '06 09:091 edit
    Creation is not science it is a singlar supernatual event, it can only
    be taken on faith. I got news for you, if you believe in the the big
    bang or some steady state universe, you are in the murky depths
    of creationism resides in.
    Kelly
    We can to this day see the echo of the Big Bang in the form of background electromagnetic radiation, it was exactly where (in the spectrum) it was predicted to be.
  3. Standard memberamannion
    Andrew Mannion
    Melbourne, Australia
    Moves
    29 Mar '06 09:14
    Let me ask you, have you witnessed major evolutionary change?
    Has any major evolutionary change every been recorded anywhere,
    outside of someone connecting dots on what they 'think' might
    be the right way to look at fossils? Has anyone seen in a lab or the
    wild anything outside of small changes within living systems? I
    believe you will see that the onl ...[text shortened]... r of faith, it is not anything that can be
    shown as true to that degree only believed.
    Kelly
    What is the bloody problem?!

Why is it so hard to accept evolution? It does not in any way conflict with religious faith.

It's a non issue ...
  4. Joined
    19 Nov '03
    Moves
    29 Mar '06 09:47
    Originally posted by amannion
    What is the bloody problem?!

Why is it so hard to accept evolution? It does not in any way conflict with religious faith.

It's a non issue ...
    Unless, like Kelly, you believe the world was created in the last 5000 years and that the account of Genesis in the Bible is literal fact. It is this fanatical adherence to the word of the scripture which causes YECs to rebuke a theory which has been worked on for decades by hundreds of thousands of people around the world, the weight of evidence for which is staggering and which the majority of the population of the Western world take as true. As far as they're concerned, just that small decision to take someone else's word at a literal interpretation is more sensible than all the work by all the scientists in the field for all those years. You could say their scales are somewhat imbalanced, it makes me nauseous just thinking of the lack of sense required to make such a judgement.
  5. Joined
    01 Oct '04
    Moves
    29 Mar '06 10:40
    Originally posted by XanthosNZ
    LEARN WHAT SCIENCE IS BEFORE CLAIMING SOMETHING ISN'T SCIENCE!
    Science is based on what can be observed and reproduced.

Do you have any other definition?
  6. Joined
    01 Oct '04
    Moves
    29 Mar '06 10:41
    Originally posted by XanthosNZ
    Abiogenesis is not part of the theory of evolution.
    In the minds of some it isn't.

Pray explain how non-life can evolve...
  7. Joined
    19 Nov '03
    Moves
    29 Mar '06 10:521 edit
    Originally posted by dj2becker
    In the minds of some it isn't.

Pray explain how non-life can evolve...
    Don't be a dunce. Do you have to know how to build a piano to be able play one?
  8. Cape Town
    Moves
    29 Mar '06 10:541 edit
    Science is based on what can be observed and reproduced.

Do you have any other definition?
    That of course depends on your definition of the word observed. Yes science requires evidence, but evidence is not the same thing as see with your own eyes. However observed may mean the existance of evidence. For example I have observed that you have a negative attitude towards evolution. I did not physically see your attitude, but there is plenty of evidence in these forums.

[edit]If the words observed and reproduced were taken so narowly as to exclude evolution then it would also exclude almost all fields of what is accepted as science. An popular denial of evolution is that it has not been seen in a test tube. If all scientific study had to happen in test tubes then only a little bit of Chemistry might survive.
  9. Joined
    01 Oct '04
    Moves
    29 Mar '06 10:55
    Originally posted by Starrman
    Don't be a dunce. Do you have to know how to build a piano to be able play one?
    No. But a piano has to be built by someone... Unless you wish to play an imaginary one...😀
  10. Joined
    19 Nov '03
    Moves
    29 Mar '06 10:57
    No. But a piano has to be built by someone... Unless you wish to play an imaginary one...😀
    That's utterly beside the point.

All you require is a piano, then you can play a piano.

All you require is life, then you can form a theory of evolution.

Abiogenesis is immaterial to the theory of evolution in the same way as piano building is to piano playing; sufficient, but not necessary.
  11. Joined
    01 Oct '04
    Moves
    29 Mar '06 11:381 edit
    That's utterly beside the point.

Abiogenesis is immaterial to the theory of evolution in the same way as piano building is to piano playing; sufficient, but not necessary.

And what a racket you'll hear if you don't have the necessary skills...

This would be true for microevolution, yes.

What mechanism would you suggest for the creation of life? Why would evolution suddenly take over from whatever created life? How can you prove that the mechanism which created life was not responsible for what you think was done by the evolutionary process?

Again applicable for microevolution. Macroevolution begs the point. It would be based on the premise, "In the beginning was life." This is based on a logical fallacy as you and I both know that life was created. You cannot play the piano before it was built.
  12. Joined
    01 Oct '04
    Moves
    29 Mar '06 11:43
    Originally posted by twhitehead
    That of course depends on your definition of the word observed. Yes science requires evidence, but evidence is not the same thing as see with your own eyes. However observed may mean the existance of evidence. For example I have observed that you have a negative attitude towards evolution. I did not physically see your attitude, but there is plenty of evi ...[text shortened]... scientific study had to happen in test tubes then only a little bit of Chemistry might survive.
    Of course you can define a word to make it mean what you want it to mean.
  13. Joined
    19 Nov '03
    Moves
    29 Mar '06 11:45
    And what a racket you'll hear if you don't have the necessary skills...

Irelevant

This would be true for microevolution, yes. Not for macroevolution...

Please back up this baseless assumption. The difference between the two terms is not in any way impacted on by abiogenisis. This is more of your ridiculous spewing of falsities.
  14. Joined
    19 Nov '03
    Moves
    29 Mar '06 11:47
    Of course you can define a word to make it mean what you want it to mean.
    You certainly do all the time. Those of us with more than half a brain cell try to agree on definitions and stick to them.
  15. Joined
    01 Oct '04
    Moves
    29 Mar '06 11:58
    [b]And what a racket you'll hear if you don't have the necessary skills...

Irelevant

This would be true for microevolution, yes. Not for macroevolution...

Please back up this baseless assumption. The difference between the two terms is not in any way impacted on by abiogenisis. This is more of your ridiculous spewing of falsities.[/b]
    Please back up this baseless assumption. The difference between the two terms is not in any way impacted on by abiogenisis. This is more of your ridiculous spewing of falsities.

Macroevolution is based on the baseless assumption, "In the beginning was life..."

Now it is your turn to back up that baseless assumption.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree