1. Joined
    10 Mar '06
    Moves
    29 Mar '06 01:52
    fundamentalists have evidently given up trying to elevate creationism to the level of science so now they try to drag science into the murky depths that creationism resides in.
  2. Standard membergollumprawn
    it's mine
    manchester, england
    Moves
    29 Mar '06 04:09
    Originally posted by nomind
    fundamentalists have evidently given up trying to elevate creationism to the level of science so now they try to drag science into the murky depths that creationism resides in.
    Will my ring be there?
  3. Joined
    06 Jan '06
    Moves
    29 Mar '06 05:09
    Originally posted by XanthosNZ
    LEARN WHAT SCIENCE IS BEFORE CLAIMING SOMETHING ISN'T SCIENCE!
    Why don't you enlighten me with your definition.

DF
  4. Joined
    06 Jan '06
    Moves
    29 Mar '06 05:32
    Originally posted by amannion
    Firstly past extrapolations ARE science.
    Secondly, can you tell me what are the guesses that scientists have made that prepresume the theory?
    Take the origin of life (based on what scotty posted a while back).
    As my foggy memory recalls, an amino acid rubino (or some such thing) was PROBABLY a different shape/size when life was forming because the earth's atmosphere was so different. In this other state, it PROBABLY had other properties that allowed it to do things it can't do today. And these other abilities would allow life to form.
    All those probably's are just conjecture, guesses, faith. Yes, we can measure evolutionary changes today, but we have no measurements from back then. All we have is a theory, a best guess, of what might have happened. Yes, I know, theories are science, they're best guesses based upon a solid bed of hard evidence. But we have no evidence of this acid ever having changed form, but it's needed for the theory of evolution to work, so it becomes part of the theory, despite it's lack of that bed of hard evidence.

DF

PS
    The more I think about it the more I think Scotty said this is HIS best guess and it may not be generally accepted. But with as much harping as there is about TE accounting for the source of life, the generally accepted theory has to be something similar.
  5. Standard memberXanthosNZ
    Cancerous Bus Crash
    p^2.sin(phi)
    Moves
    29 Mar '06 05:581 edit
    Originally posted by DragonFriend
    As my foggy memory recalls, an amino acid rubino (or some such thing) was PROBABLY a different shape/size when life was forming because the earth's atmosphere was so different. In this other state, it PROBABLY had other properties that allowed it to do things it can't do today. And the ounting for the source of life, the generally accepted theory has to be something similar.
    Abiogenesis is not part of the theory of evolution.
  6. Standard memberRBHILL
    Acts 13:48
    California
    Moves
    29 Mar '06 05:59
    Originally posted by amannion
    What's wrong with evolution?
    Everything is! It is all lies!
  7. Standard memberNemesio
    Ursulakantor
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Moves
    29 Mar '06 06:03
    Originally posted by KellyJay
    How you view scripture being taken literally has nothing to do with
    evolutionary ideas being in conflict with reality. It simply boils down
    to how you define evoution, if you think it is small changes, no one
    will debate that, if you think it is changes over time taking a some
    what simple life form to the variety of complex ones we see today,
    that is faith not science. As a faith it is just another other thing
    people argue over.
    Kelly
    Kelly,

You and I have danced this one before. When you refer to 'faith' you
    make no distinction between things for which we have some, little,
    lots of, and no evidence.

It's a meaningless term the way you use it, because it fails to incorporate
    how much/little we know about a given topic.

Nemesio
  8. Standard memberamannion
    Andrew Mannion
    Melbourne, Australia
    Moves
    29 Mar '06 06:10
    As my foggy memory recalls, an amino acid rubino (or some such thing) was PROBABLY a different shape/size when life was forming because the earth's atmosphere was so different. In this other state, it PROBABLY had other properties that allowed it to do things it can't do today. And the ...[text shortened]... ounting for the source of life, the generally accepted theory has to be something similar.
    Firstly, let's just clarify one major issue. The theory of evolution makes no claims about the origin of life, nor in fact does it need to.
    Evolution simply posits that when you have a replicating entity, with inherited properties, and the possibility of errors from generation to generation - then evolution will occur. That is, changes will occur in the replicating entities that enable them to survive in changing environments.
    (Apologies to evolutionary biologists who might cringe at my crappy explanation.)

The origin of life is a completely separate issue - not dependent on evolution and having no relation to evolution. There are a number of theories around about how life might have formed on Earth - if indeed it actually did form here, and not somehwere else altogether - but it should be made clear, these are in very early stages of development. They are NOT accepted by the general scientific community in the same way evolution is.

Are either of these areas faith?
    No, faith is a belief in something where either no evidence exists to support that belief, or where evidence shows that that belief is not supported.
    No scientist would claim evolutionary theory or any of the theories of the origins of life are believed without evidence.
    Yes there are scientists that hold to their theories long after evidence and experimentation and modelling suggest that they are wrong. Scientists are people like everyone else, with biases and feelings and strengths and weaknesses.
    But no scientist would claim the basis of any theory is faith and for you or anyone else to make the claim is wrong, insulting to science and scientists, and makes it pretty clear that you have no idea what science is actually about.

Will you please shut up, or start making sense ...
  9. Standard memberamannion
    Andrew Mannion
    Melbourne, Australia
    Moves
    29 Mar '06 06:11

This post is unavailable.

Please refer to our posting guidelines.

10. Standard memberXanthosNZ
    Cancerous Bus Crash
    p^2.sin(phi)
    Moves
    29 Mar '06 06:33
    Originally posted by RBHILL
    Everything is! It is all lies!
    Please provide evidence that every single reported observation of evolution is a fake. Also provide an explanation for how the common cold and HIV work now that they can't mutate.

Do this or shut the hell up RB.
  11. Cape Town
    Moves
    29 Mar '06 07:13
    As my foggy memory recalls, an amino acid rubino (or some such thing) was PROBABLY a different shape/size when life was forming because the earth's atmosphere was so different. In this other state, it PROBABLY had other properties that allowed it to do things it can't do today. And th ...[text shortened]... o work, so it becomes part of the theory, despite it's lack of that bed of hard evidence.
    As already stated by others, there is no faith involved. There are a number of hypotheses for the origin of life. They all stand as valid hypotheses until they are disproved. However they are not believed nor taken as fact by anyone. For them to reach Theory status they need fairly hard evidence and a lack of evidence to the contrary. However, even as hypotheses they are still part of science. I disagree with other posters that the origin of life has nothing to do with The Theory of Evolution. Although the origin of life is not explained in the Theory of Evolution it nevertheless should be mentioned in the theory and it is quite likely that processes involved in evolution such as natural selection which happen today and have been proven to work, were involved in the origin of life. Note that I did not say I believe this but only that it is quite likely and definitely possible until proved otherwise - ie a hypothesis.
    The hypothesis of Inteligent Design could equally be considered a scientific hypothesis. However it is a hypothesis which has been shown to be invalid (as there is no supporting evidence and plenty of evidence to the contrary) and thus discarded by the majority of the scientific community.
  12. Standard memberKellyJay
    Walk your Faith
    USA
    Moves
    29 Mar '06 07:45
    Originally posted by twhitehead
    You clearly have no understanding of what science is. What you have described (The Theory of Evolution) as faith is most definately science. To believe it to be 100% true may be faith but to say that it is a well defined theory that is currently the best explanation for the evidence available is most definately science.
    Let me ask you, have you witnessed major evolutionary change?
    Has any major evolutionary change every been recorded anywhere,
    outside of someone connecting dots on what they 'think' might
    be the right way to look at fossils? Has anyone seen in a lab or the
    wild anything outside of small changes within living systems? I
    believe you will see that the only thing supporting the belief system
    that is evolution, is how people connect the dots within the fossil
    record, which may or may not be true, when it comes to major changes
    in life. It is a belief, a matter of faith, it is not anything that can be
    shown as true to that degree only believed.
    Kelly
  13. Standard memberKellyJay
    Walk your Faith
    USA
    Moves
    29 Mar '06 07:48
    Originally posted by XanthosNZ
    LEARN WHAT SCIENCE IS BEFORE CLAIMING SOMETHING ISN'T SCIENCE!
    You believe if faith or beliefs are involved they some how void
    what we can call science?
    Kelly
  14. Standard memberKellyJay
    Walk your Faith
    USA
    Moves
    29 Mar '06 07:52
    Originally posted by Nemesio
    Kelly,

You and I have danced this one before. When you refer to 'faith' you
    make no distinction between things for which we have some, little,
    lots of, and no evidence.

It's a meaningless term the way you use it, because it fails to incorporate
    how much/little we know about a given topic.

Nemesio
    I know we have, I've gone around and around with this with others
    too. I believe people walk out their faith daily as they believe
    reality is, and sometimes they even walk against what they believe
    to be true too. I don't think 'faith' is a dirty word as some seem to.
    Kelly
  15. Standard memberKellyJay
    Walk your Faith
    USA
    Moves
    29 Mar '06 07:54
    Originally posted by nomind
    Creation is not science it is a singlar supernatual event, it can only
    be taken on faith. I got news for you, if you believe in the the big
    bang or some steady state universe, you are in the murky depths
    of creationism resides in.
    Kelly

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree