Whay are there so many dumb people religeous and so many smart people atheist?

Whay are there so many dumb people religeous and so many smart people atheist?

Spirituality

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The Near Genius

Fort Gordon

Moves
09 Jul 14

Originally posted by twhitehead
There is nothing about science that restricts it to material objects.
You need to go to the Science Forum and convince them of that and maybe they will welcome me back.

Misfit Queen

Isle of Misfit Toys

Moves
09 Jul 14

Originally posted by sonhouse
Sure you can by watching the star or whatever being in the wrong place but that would be like seeing a surfer by the angle of the waves. The basic gravitational lensing itself is not visible unless there is a light beam between it an you. Glad to see you back!

You can also see the effect of magnetic fields by the way it forces things around like particl ...[text shortened]... la strong or so. They have floated frogs in powerful magnetic fields but you still can't see it.
One can argue that light is a necessary component to "see" anything. So you are seeing the bending of space by the light which is bent by it, just as you see the sun by the light that is emitted by it.

And yes, I understand what you're saying, but light is different than magnetic fields. Our eyes are sensitive to light and that's what causes us to see it and the effect of outside forces upon it. It's light (and its reflections, diffractions, even bent into spectra) that lets us "see" anything. So if gravity affects light (even if it's just because gravity bends space), we can see it.

Can you imagine how weird the world would look if light were affected by magnetism? But if it were, then we could, in effect, "see" magnetism, too.

I don't know if I'd call it being "back". Some topics are just too hard to resist posting a reply to. ๐Ÿ™‚

Misfit Queen

Isle of Misfit Toys

Moves
10 Jul 14

Originally posted by RJHinds
You need to go to the Science Forum and convince them of that and maybe they will welcome me back.
Fat chance of that.

s
Fast and Curious

slatington, pa, usa

Moves
10 Jul 14

Originally posted by Suzianne
Fat chance of that.
All he has to do is talk about the wonders of real science and not the BS artists of Young Earth Creationists who care less about science and ONLY want to gain political support for their so-called cause.

s
Fast and Curious

slatington, pa, usa

Moves
10 Jul 14
1 edit

One can argue that light is a necessary component to "see" anything. So you are seeing the bending of space by the light which is bent by it, just as you see the sun by the light that is emitted by it.

And yes, I understand what you're saying, but light is different than magnetic fields. Our eyes are sensitive to light and that's what causes us ...[text shortened]... ow if I'd call it being "back". Some topics are just too hard to resist posting a reply to. ๐Ÿ™‚
Actually, you CAN 'see' magnetism because magnetic fields effect the polarization of light. If you shine polarized light through a magnetic field, by controlling the direction of the lines of force and then shining that light through a second polarizer which happens to be at the same polarization of the first one making the polarized light in the first place, the magnetic field can turn off that light by bending the polarizing angle enough to be blocked by the second polarizing filter. That's about the ONLY way you can actually see the magnetic field.

I was thinking of how to visualize magnetic fields and came up with an idea, if you had a gas filled with magnetizable particles and you put a powerful magnet in the center of that gas, it might show the field in all its glory.

As of right now, that is just a thought experiment, I need to find something that will do that. Like iron oxide particles small enough to be colloidial in a gas, not sure how to do that though, I would think the rust particles would just fall down to the ground.

Aha, do that experiment on the ISS! no gravity, the particles would just continue to float around, then under the influence of a magnetic field, viola! the whole magnetic bush would be visible.

I think.

I might even get something like that going on Earth if you put the FeO2 particles in a gas and have that gas be flowing through a tube with a magnet inside. Hmm. Have to think about that. It would be a fun experiment. Something for my next Mr. Science show for the 5th graders. I did one already showing science to them using ordinary household items. I made a microphone from a sewing hoop with saran wrap instead of cloth and a piezo crystal glued to the saran wrap. Worked great, surprised the hell out of the teachers๐Ÿ™‚ I made a lot of stuff like that.

P

Moves
10 Jul 14

All he has to do is talk about the wonders of real science and not the BS artists of Young Earth Creationists who care less about science and ONLY want to gain political support for their so-called cause.
One has to wonder if the YEC's make their philosiphy their god.

Misfit Queen

Isle of Misfit Toys

Moves
10 Jul 14

Do you mean like how many Chrstians talk as if the Bible was their God?

"That word's not in the Bible!"
"That is not mentioned in the Bible!"

The Bible is not a respository of ALL knowledge. It only contains info that God [I]wants[/I] us to know. It doesn't mean that's all we ever need to know, or that we're not meant to figure other things out for ourselves.

The Near Genius

Fort Gordon

Moves
10 Jul 14

Originally posted by Pudgenik
One has to wonder if the YEC's make their philosiphy their god.
I get my young earth creation view from the Holy Bible, if that is what you mean.

s
Fast and Curious

slatington, pa, usa

Moves
10 Jul 14

Do you mean like how many Chrstians talk as if the Bible was their God?

"That word's not in the Bible!"
"That is not mentioned in the Bible!"

The Bible is not a respository of ALL knowledge. It only contains info that God [I]wants[/I] us to know. It doesn't mean that's all we ever need to know, or that we're not meant to figure other things out for ourselves.
Then why didn't this god do the bible in all 5000 languages on Earth so ALL of us could get the word? Why is it a hierarchical thing in the first place when an omniscient god could just as easily spoken to every human on the planet at the same time in their own language?

So now we have the situation where this supposedly universal love religion where everyone is free and under the grace of this god, but billions of people around the planet never heard of this thing.

Why would a real god set up such a situation where this religion starts out in some middle east valley when there is a very large planet out there, Madagascar, Siberia, Alaska, Easter Island, all those folks never heard of such a thing back 3000 or more years ago. Why would those folks be left out of the picture? And for literally thousands of years.

Smacks of man made to me.

The Near Genius

Fort Gordon

Moves
10 Jul 14

Then why didn't this god do the bible in all 5000 languages on Earth so ALL of us could get the word? Why is it a hierarchical thing in the first place when an omniscient god could just as easily spoken to every human on the planet at the same time in their own language?

So now we have the situation where this supposedly universal love religion where eve ...[text shortened]... be left out of the picture? And for literally thousands of years.

Smacks of man made to me.
God made man with only one language in the Middle East due to His own wisdom. So it is natural that the knowledge of God would spread from that area.

Due to the increasing wickedness of man's thoughts, God decided to get rid of most of the wickedness by almost starting over with only 8 people that were less wicked. That of course meant God also had to reduce the number of land animals so that man would not be too outnumbered. Makes sense to me!

To get man to spread out over the earth God decided that confounding their one language into many was a good way. Then God choose the least of these people to spread the good news of His plan to redeem those who would listen to it.

You ask why and the answer is that God's thoughts are higher than our thoughts and His ways are higher than our ways.

s
Fast and Curious

slatington, pa, usa

Moves
11 Jul 14

Originally posted by RJHinds
God made man with only one language in the Middle East due to His own wisdom. So it is natural that the knowledge of God would spread from that area.

Due to the increasing wickedness of man's thoughts, God decided to get rid of most of the wickedness by almost starting over with only 8 people that were less wicked. That of course meant God also had to ...[text shortened]... nswer is that God's thoughts are higher than our thoughts and His ways are higher than our ways.
Nice try but total BS as usual. Some of the languages of ancient middle east are Hebrew, Aramaic, Greek, Avastan, Ugaritic, Palaic, Hurrian, Chorosmin, Egyptian and I bet a lot more floating around at that time.

Want to try another tact?

The Near Genius

Fort Gordon

Moves
11 Jul 14

Nice try but total BS as usual. Some of the languages of ancient middle east are Hebrew, Aramaic, Greek, Avastan, Ugaritic, Palaic, Hurrian, Chorosmin, Egyptian and I bet a lot more floating around at that time.

You seem to not realize all those languages did not exist until after the flood and the Tower of Babel.

Misfit Queen

Isle of Misfit Toys

Moves
11 Jul 14

The word is tack, like in sailing.

The Near Genius

Fort Gordon

Moves
11 Jul 14
1 edit

I believe he means I should be more sensitive and accommodating to his views.

s
Fast and Curious

slatington, pa, usa

Moves
11 Jul 14

Ok, I'll give you that one๐Ÿ™‚ I was thinking of Tactics and thought it shorted to tact. I need to use more tact when I deal with RJ. Another Tack is when you swing a sailboat around, I guess that works.