1. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    29 Dec '06 16:42
    It seems to me more deaths are caused by religious zealots than most other causes put together. It looks to me like humanity would be far better off growing up and out of the need for religion and taking matters into their own hands philosophically speaking.
    I don't see a problem building a non religious based morality structure. I think all the talk about not being able to do so without a referance to a god is just another power play. Our morality ultimately comes from ourselves anyway. We don't HAVE to pretend a god tells us how to behave. We are supposedly an intelligent race and it seems to me that the Christian/Muslim/Jewish based religions do so much more harm than good that the world will be a far better place without them. That obviously won't stop ALL religious wars but it sure would take a psycic load off the planet and maybe allow us as a race to grow up.
  2. Earth
    Moves
    29 Dec '06 16:53
    It looks to me like humanity would be far better off growing up and out of the need for religion and taking matters into their own hands philosophically speaking.[/b]

I think humanity has already taken matters into his own hands. That is why we have all the killings. If humanity followed religion, there would be no killings.
  3. Joined
    03 Sep '06
    Moves
    29 Dec '06 17:02
    Originally posted by sonhouse
    It seems to me more deaths are caused by religious zealots than most other causes put together. It looks to me like humanity would be far better off growing up and out of the need for religion and taking matters into their own hands philosophically speaking.
    I don't see a problem building a non religious based morality structure. I think all the talk abou ...[text shortened]... but it sure would take a psycic load off the planet and maybe allow us as a race to grow up.
    Do you want to tell me that the World war II for example initiated because of religion?

Your statment, is completly wrong. Killing every where, and non religion reasons, is the cause in most cases....

If you don't want to follow a religion, it is up to you... But there is no guarantee your life for you!!!!!!!!!!!!
  4. Joined
    21 Jan '06
    Moves
    29 Dec '06 17:15
    Originally posted by ahosyney
    If you don't want to follow a religion, it is up to you... But there is no guarantee your life for you!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Theres no guarantee for you either.
  5. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    29 Dec '06 17:22
    Do you want to tell me that the World war II for example initiated because of religion?

Your statment, is completly wrong. Killing every where, and non religion reasons, is the cause in most cases....

You cananot deny that there are wars that result in religious instigation, however. The crusades come to mind as well as children being sent out as suicide bombers in the holy land. I think a good start would be for religious leaders to stop justifying violence via religious reasonings, but I fear this is far to much to ask.
  6. Joined
    03 Sep '06
    Moves
    29 Dec '06 17:51
    Originally posted by Wayne1324
    Theres no guarantee for you either.
    Sure,

No one garantee his life, but saying that religion is the only reason for killing is not true.

In China, for example, they don't follow any religion. They have their own made system, but does that give their people the happy life, Did this stop people from being killed up there.
  7. Joined
    03 Sep '06
    Moves
    29 Dec '06 17:521 edit
    Originally posted by whodey
    You cananot deny that there are wars that result in religious instigation, however. The crusades come to mind as well as children being sent out as suicide bombers in the holy land. I think a good start would be for religious leaders to stop justifying violence via religious reasonings, but I fear this is far to much to ask.
    No I don't denay it, but he didn't say that. He talked only about religion, because he don't want to follow a religion.

Besides most of the religion based wars are originaly political and uses religion to cover it.

He is free, but twisting facts, is not a good way to give yourself an execuse.
  8. Joined
    21 Jan '06
    Moves
    29 Dec '06 18:01
    Sure,

No one garantee his life, but saying that religion is the only reason for killing is not true.

In China, for example, they don't follow any religion. They have their own made system, but does that give their people the happy life, Did this stop people from being killed up there.
    My mistake, I thought you meant theres no guarantee for his afterlife in heaven.
  9. Standard membertelerion
    True X X Xian
    The Lord's Army
    Moves
    29 Dec '06 18:361 edit
    No I don't denay it, but he didn't say that. He talked only about religion, because he don't want to follow a religion.

Besides most of the religion based wars are originaly political and uses religion to cover it.

He is free, but twisting facts, is not a good way to give yourself an execuse.
    If we really want to get down to the point, most wars are about economics. Politics arises from that. Religion is just one tool for inciting idiots to kill other people, and time has shown it to be a very effective instrument indeed. Religion also gives some people comfort as does Santa Claus and Karma. Eliminating religion will not stop people from killing each other; it just means that leaders will have to sell nationalism that much more to get their idiots in line.
  10. Joined
    03 Sep '06
    Moves
    29 Dec '06 21:10
    Originally posted by telerion
    If we really want to get down to the point, most wars are about economics. Politics arises from that. Religion is just one tool for inciting idiots to kill other people, and time has shown it to be a very effective instrument indeed. Religion also gives some people comfort as does Santa Claus and Karma. Eliminating religion will not stop people from kil ...[text shortened]... ust means that leaders will have to sell nationalism that much more to get their idiots in line.
    Exactly, like the use of Democracy and Freedom to Justify the war in Iraq.
  11. Standard memberscottishinnz
    Kichigai!
    Osaka
    Moves
    29 Dec '06 22:54

Actually, yes. Mainly it was the German's hatred of the Jews that led them down the path of not accepting responsibility for WWI.
  12. Joined
    03 Sep '06
    Moves
    29 Dec '06 22:56
    Originally posted by scottishinnz
    Actually, yes. Mainly it was the German's hatred of the Jews that led them down the path of not accepting responsibility for WWI.
    I'm not expert in history , but I think what you said is not correct.
  13. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    29 Dec '06 23:00
    Originally posted by Varqa
    It looks to me like humanity would be far better off growing up and out of the need for religion and taking matters into their own hands philosophically speaking.

I think humanity has already taken matters into his own hands. That is why we have all the killings. If humanity followed religion, there would be no killings.[/b]
    And which, exactly, planet do you come from? I suppose the crusades never happened? I suppose the Jihad's which christianity taught Islam, is all just a peaceful picnic in the park. You need to crawl out of the rock you have been living under all your life and see what the REAL world is doing.
  14. Standard memberscottishinnz
    Kichigai!
    Osaka
    Moves
    29 Dec '06 23:001 edit
    I'm not expert in history , but I think what you said is not correct.
    Richard J Evans in his book "The coming of the third Reich" seems to think it is. (A good read, by the way)

[edit; the ordinary German in the street believed that Germany had not lost WWI militarily, rather they had been "stabbed in the back" by the Jews at the end of WWI. It was this widespread anti-Semitism that Hitler played on, and expanded, which led to Hitler being elected.]
  15. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    29 Dec '06 23:02
    Sure,

And how many wars are the chinese in right now? Are they killing anyone by the tens of thousands anywhere in the world right now?

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree