1. Cape Town
    Moves
    31 Oct '06 10:08
    Originally posted by EcstremeVenom
    so then you are just as bad as someone who "hopes God exists". i believe partially cuz people that i trust wouldnt lie to me, mom, sis, aunt etc. have said they have experienced miracles. i believe i have too.
    I don't think they are lying to you. But that does not make what they believe true. The majority of 'miracles' that have been described to me were really not convincing. I find that most people do not understand statistics and coincidence very well and don't realize that a significant number of coincidences are to be expected. The problem is our brains are highly sophisticated pattern matching machines and we can see patterns even in a random splash of paint (ask any psychologist). We have a natural tendency to attribute a cause to every pattern and try to discover or at a minimum give a name to this cause. Hence 'luck' 'God' etc. Many many people even though they do not truly 'believe' in it place a lot of importance on luck, astrology, etc.

I can do some very convincing 'magic' tricks. There are a significant number of people who actually would believe that real 'magic' is involved and possibly label me demonic for doing them.
  2. Joined
    23 Sep '05
    Moves
    01 Nov '06 14:483 edits
    Originally posted by Nordlys
    Maybe a Camusian absurdist?
    I know now! I'm a humanist! So simple. Who would have guessed?

http://www.religioustolerance.org/humanism.htm

Addition: Make that a Secular humanist. 🙂

Addition: Bloody pit! It's not right. I don't think humans are the measurement of all things. I value all life the same. Bacteria to humans. Well, not much difference at all between them, but... no wait, that's my point. He... So, am I an animalist? Secular animalist? Yes. Said and done, that's my spiritual identity, from now on.

Addition: Though bacteria doesn't really count as an animal. 😕 I am a lifeist. A secular lifeist. That's it! End of description!

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree