1. The sky
    Moves
    30 Oct '06 00:37
    Originally posted by userjs7000
    Do you know beyond a shadow of a doubt. If not would you like to find out.
    If you know beyond a shadow of a doubt what will happen after your death, you are deceiving yourself.
  2. Joined
    06 Jul '06
    Moves
    30 Oct '06 00:43
    Originally posted by userjs7000
    Do you know beyond a shadow of a doubt. If not would you like to find out.
    we dont know, we're not God. he's the only one who can judge.
  3. Standard memberamannion
    Andrew Mannion
    Melbourne, Australia
    Moves
    30 Oct '06 00:45
    Originally posted by EcstremeVenom
    we dont know, we're not God. he's the only one who can judge.
    And if he/she/it doesn't exist?
    We can only judge ourselves.

Have I lived a good life? Have I contributed to my world in some positive way? Have I raised my kids as well as I could?
  4. Joined
    06 Jul '06
    Moves
    30 Oct '06 00:50
    Originally posted by amannion
    And if he/she/it doesn't exist?
    We can only judge ourselves.

Have I lived a good life? Have I contributed to my world in some positive way? Have I raised my kids as well as I could?
    i was assuming God does exist, and i believe he does. if he doesn't exist then we dont need to be judged, i also believe the government has no right to judge, since they are not God.
  5. Donationkirksey957
    Outkast
    With White Women
    Moves
    30 Oct '06 01:28
    Originally posted by David C
    Wouldn't it be nice if God judged based on grammar and spelling, too? That would make for an interesting Judgement Day, not this "belief" nonsense. I can see it now, ol' St. Pete handing out Heavenly SATs, the RBHILL's of the world with crib notes scribbled on their wrists...
    crib notes or Crib's notes?
  6. The sky
    Moves
    30 Oct '06 01:29
    Originally posted by kirksey957
    crib notes or Crib's notes?
    Cribs' notes.
  7. Standard memberamannion
    Andrew Mannion
    Melbourne, Australia
    Moves
    30 Oct '06 01:53
    i was assuming God does exist, and i believe he does. if he doesn't exist then we dont need to be judged, i also believe the government has no right to judge, since they are not God.
    Where did the government enter my discussion?
    I can be the only one to judge my life - which doesn't prevent others from judging my actions of course.
  8. Joined
    03 Sep '06
    Moves
    30 Oct '06 01:58
    I can be the only one to judge my life - which doesn't prevent others from judging my actions of course.
    This is the first time for me to talk about this. So please help me to understand. If there is no God, no afterlife, and nothing, why do you think your life is for. Why do you exist? and why do you die?
  9. Standard memberamannion
    Andrew Mannion
    Melbourne, Australia
    Moves
    30 Oct '06 02:05
    Originally posted by ahosyney
    This is the first time for me to talk about this. So please help me to understand. If there is no God, no afterlife, and nothing, why do you think your life is for. Why do you exist? and why do you die?
    Why must there be a purpose?

I don't think my life is 'for' anything. It simply is.
    Now of course, we humans like a good purpose to keep us going, so in the absence of anything external I've got to create my own purpose.
    Which is to try to contribute as much as I can to my world - teach my students well (I'm a teacher obviously), rasie my kids to be healthy, independent adults, love my wife and friends and family, and so on.
    Why do I die?
    Because my metabolic processes shut down.
  10. Joined
    06 Jul '06
    Moves
    30 Oct '06 02:12
    Why must there be a purpose?

if you have no purpose in the afterlife do you have a purpose in life? what keeps you from committing suicide with that mindset?

Now of course, we humans like a good purpose to keep us going,

true you do need some kind of purpose, but a lot of atheists try to assume that Christians only believe in God because they are weak and need something, that is totally false. i hope you dotn assume that.

I've got to create my own purposeWhich is to try to contribute as much as I can to my world

why do you care about the world if you have no purpose then the world doesnt.

Why do I die?
    Because my metabolic processes shut down.

youre setting a great example, tell the students and your kids that it will happen to them one day. (sarcasm)
  11. Joined
    06 Jul '06
    Moves
    30 Oct '06 02:14
    we were talking about who has the right to judge and who does not and im stating who does and who doesnt, only God can judge.
  12. Standard memberamannion
    Andrew Mannion
    Melbourne, Australia
    Moves
    30 Oct '06 02:22
    we were talking about who has the right to judge and who does not and im stating who does and who doesnt, only God can judge.
    That's true only if God exists.
    I don't believe it does.
  13. Joined
    06 Jul '06
    Moves
    30 Oct '06 02:23
    That's true only if God exists.
    I don't believe it does.
    youre right, its only true if God exists. what if he doesnt? then who can judge and who cant?
  14. Standard memberamannion
    Andrew Mannion
    Melbourne, Australia
    Moves
    30 Oct '06 02:45
    [b]Why must there be a purpose?

if you have no purpose in the afterlife do you have a purpose in life? what keeps you from committing suicide with that mindset?

true you do need some kind of purpose, but a lot of atheists try to assu ...[text shortened]... a great example, tell the students and your kids that it will happen to them one day. (sarcasm)[/b]
    Why would I need a purpose in the afterlife?
    What the?
    Do you get that as an atheist I don't believe in the afterlife, so why would I care about a purpose for it?

Most of my family are Christians so I don't think any worse of you because you've chosen that path.

I don't care about a purpose for the world - whatever that means? I care about the world because it makes sense to me to be like that. I want to contribute and do the best I can because I think they're good things to do.

Thanks for your thoughts, despite your facetious message, I make sure that every day I try to model to my students being a good person. I try ot make sure that they have the skills and knowledge to make up their own minds, be critical of the world around them, and be good contributors themselves.
    They have only one life to live - so they (and we) need to make it worthwhile.
  15. Standard memberamannion
    Andrew Mannion
    Melbourne, Australia
    Moves
    30 Oct '06 02:50
    [b]Why must there be a purpose?

true you do need some kind of purpose, but a lot of atheists try to assu ...[text shortened]... a great example, tell the students and your kids that it will happen to them one day. (sarcasm)[/b]
    What keeps me from committing suicide?
    My purpose in life - self-generated - is to contribute as much as I can to a positive world, to raise my kids well, to love my family, and be a good person.
    How would suicide help this?

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree