1. Standard membertelerion
    True X X Xian
    The Lord's Army
    Moves
    30 Oct '06 02:54
    Let me point out that while it has been taken upon assumption by many of the theists so far, it is not necessarily the case that the existence of a god gives our lives purpose.
  2. Joined
    06 Jul '06
    Moves
    30 Oct '06 02:57
    Originally posted by amannion
    What keeps me from committing suicide?
    My purpose in life - self-generated - is to contribute as much as I can to a positive world, to raise my kids well, to love my family, and be a good person.
    How would suicide help this?
    well you made a purpose for your self, but if you had no purpose at all then why would you live?
  3. Standard memberamannion
    Andrew Mannion
    Melbourne, Australia
    Moves
    30 Oct '06 03:09
    Originally posted by EcstremeVenom
    well you made a purpose for your self, but if you had no purpose at all then why would you live?
    If I didn't have a purpose I guess I wouldn't want to - which is why people commit suicide I guess.
    But so what?
    My point here is that I don't need a purpose given to me by an external source - whether it's God, Buddha, or the Flying Spaghetti Monster. I am perfectly capable of making my own life mean something without these external creations.
  4. Joined
    11 Oct '06
    Moves
    30 Oct '06 05:37
    Heaven and Hell are myths, stories told to get people to be good
  5. Joined
    03 Sep '06
    Moves
    30 Oct '06 12:22
    Originally posted by amannion
    Why would I need a purpose in the afterlife?
    What the?
    Do you get that as an atheist I don't believe in the afterlife, so why would I care about a purpose for it?

Most of my family are Christians so I don't think any worse of you because you've chosen that path.

I don't care about a purpose for the world - whatever that means? I care about the world ...[text shortened]... themselves.
    They have only one life to live - so they (and we) need to make it worthwhile.
    Can you please help me again:

Define a good person?
  6. Joined
    19 Nov '03
    Moves
    30 Oct '06 12:511 edit
    Originally posted by EcstremeVenom
    Why do you insist that life must have some purpose? Existing is the first thing we do, we do this regardless of a purpose. As we learn more about the world, we define our purpose from a standpoint of already existing. Why should we justify the fact that we exist already, using hindsight?
  7. Joined
    19 Nov '03
    Moves
    30 Oct '06 12:542 edits
    Originally posted by ahosyney
    Can you please help me again:

Define a good person?
    Something like this I guess:

One that benefits the lives of others, strives not to cause pain or suffering and seeks out the experiences available to him as an active member of the world, equally trading what resources he can give to it for what he takes from it.
  8. Joined
    03 Sep '06
    Moves
    30 Oct '06 13:28
    Originally posted by Starrman
    Something like this I guess:

One that benefits the lives of others, strives not to cause pain or suffering and seeks out the experiences available to him as an active member of the world, equally trading what resources he can give to it for what he takes from it.
    You guess!!!

So there is no uniqe definition.

Another question

What prevent you from being a bad person?
  9. Joined
    19 Nov '03
    Moves
    30 Oct '06 13:352 edits
    You guess!!!

So there is no uniqe definition.

Another question

What prevent you from being a bad person?
    Why does there have to be a unique definition? Is there a unique definition of beauty, or humour, or existence, or even god?

The same thing which I presume prevents you; morals. That my moral code is relative and based on society rather than a supernatural being makes it no less powerful to me or anyone else that shares my views.

Again, I point out that the lack of an absolute purpose in life (or the presence of an afterlife) is not equivalent to the need to cause harm.
  10. Joined
    03 Sep '06
    Moves
    30 Oct '06 14:13
    Why does there have to be a unique definition? Is there a unique definition of beauty, or humour, or existence, or even god?

The same thing which I presume prevents you; morals. That my moral code is relative and based on society rather than a supernatural being makes it no less powerful to me or anyone else that shares my views.

Again, I point out t ...[text shortened]... e purpose in life (or the presence of an afterlife) is not equivalent to the need to cause harm.
    You didn't answer my question...

What ever a good person is defined as, what prevent anyone from being a bad person?

For the definition of Good person, it is a big problem, because what you see is a good person others may see bad. Do you got what I mean?

From your answer I understand that every one is responsible for defining what a good person is..
  11. Standard membertelerion
    True X X Xian
    The Lord's Army
    Moves
    30 Oct '06 14:24

What ever a good person is defined as, what prevent anyone from being a bad person?

For the definition of Good person, it is a big problem, because what you see is a good person others may see bad. Do you got what I mean?

From your answer I understand that every one is responsible for defining what a good person is..
    The law and strong law enforcement institutions go a long way toward preventing us (all of us, theist and non-theist) from being bad people. It's kinda sad, but that's the way it is.

"[Y]ou are quite right to quote the oath as an undeniable example of the practical efficacy of religion. But, in spite of all you’ve said, I doubt whether the efficacy of religion goes much beyond this. Just think; if a public proclamation were suddenly made announcing the repeal of all the criminal laws; I fancy neither you nor I would have the courage to go home from here under the protection of religious motives. If, in the same way, all religions were declared untrue, we could, under the protection of the laws alone, go on living as before, without any special addition to our apprehensions or our measures of precaution."

Philalethes from Schopenhauer's "On Religion"
  12. Joined
    19 Nov '03
    Moves
    30 Oct '06 14:521 edit

I certainly did answer your question, you asked what prevents me from being a bad person. I answered morals.

And yes it is up to everyone to decide what a good person is. From my point of view there are branches of the nature of behaviour; legal, moral etc. But all of these are decided through some sort of consensual process, be it through the courts or through socio-cultural agreement.
  13. Joined
    03 Sep '06
    Moves
    30 Oct '06 14:53
    Originally posted by telerion
    The law and strong law enforcement institutions go a long way toward preventing us (all of us, theist and non-theist) from being bad people. It's kinda sad, but that's the way it is.

"[Y]ou are quite right to quote the oath as an undeniable example of the practical efficacy of religion. But, in spite of all you’ve said, I doubt whether the efficacy of r ...[text shortened]... hensions or our measures of precaution."

Philalethes from Schopenhauer's "On Religion"
    Again the law is the same as the definition of Good person, it is all human made. So they are depending on the persons who wrote them. Differe from one socity to the other, they are not perfect. But most of all it the same sort of control that you refuse GOD existance for.
  14. Joined
    19 Nov '03
    Moves
    30 Oct '06 14:53
    Again the law is the same as the definition of Good person, it is all human made. So they are depending on the persons who wrote them. Differe from one socity to the other, they are not perfect. But most of all it the same sort of control that you refuse GOD existance for.
    I don't understand your last sentence, please explain.
  15. Joined
    03 Sep '06
    Moves
    30 Oct '06 14:54
    I certainly did answer your question, you asked what prevents me from being a bad person. I answered morals.

And yes it is up to everyone to decide what a good person is. From my point of view there are branches of the nature of behaviour; legal, moral etc. But all of these are decided through some sort of consensual process, be it through the courts or through socio-cultural agreement.
    Can I ask where do you get you morals from? What is the origin of morals in the human life?

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree