1. Standard memberProper Knob
    Cornovii
    North of the Tamar
    Moves
    27 May '13 08:35
    Originally posted by divegeester
    Is there any difference between wanting Islam abolished and wanting Christianity abolished? The latter has been called for in this forum more times than I can remember and no one batted an eyelid.
    Find a quote where someone has called for Christianity to be 'abolished'. Personally I would like to see it gone but I'm not for abolishing it.
  2. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    27 May '13 10:58
    Originally posted by Proper Knob
    Find a quote where someone has called for Christianity to be 'abolished'. Personally I would like to see it gone but I'm not for abolishing it.
    sonhouse, several times, and others like joe-whatshisname. I'm not looking them up though.
  3. R
    Standard memberRemoved
    Moves
    27 May '13 11:365 edits
    I wrote to your comment that Adolf Hitler was "a committed Christian" a brief note that it was not that simple.

People like to recruit Hitler for a representative of various things they do not like - "Hitler a committed Christian".

And I agree that nor is it so simple that he did not exploit aspects of religious ideology which he found useful.

Do you think Dietrich Boenhoffer would have agreed that "Hitler was a committed Chrisian"? I don't think that Boenhoffer, a Christian theologian who attempted to assassinate Hitler, would agree with your characterization of Hitler as "a committed Christian."

If we go down that road shall I say that the Japanese military general who ordered the attack on Pearl Harbor was "a committed Shintoist"?

We might argue over when Ashoka (304–232 BCE) really became a Buddhist before or after his atrocities in India. Maybe I could say he was a committed Buddhist while he was having people killed to expand his empire too ?
    "He embraced Buddhism after witnessing the mass deaths of the Kalinga War, which he himself had waged out of a desire for conquest. "

That was convenient.

Dietrich Boenhoffer realised the incipient dangers in using religious differences to embroil humanity in hatred.

And there is an incipient danger, I think, also in labeling someone "a committed" this or that because you expoit the atrocities to make a guilt by association point.

Sometimes it is done intentionally, other times through insightless acceptance of unreasoning prejudice applied beyond the radical few to the normally peaceful many.Boenhoffer as you know died because he refused to go along with such. It seems so did your Founder.

My only point here is that calling Hitler "a committed Christian" is rather a wild call. Your skepticism about what it is to be "a committed Christian" is being opportunistic in a unfair way.
  4. Standard memberProper Knob
    Cornovii
    North of the Tamar
    Moves
    27 May '13 15:56
    sonhouse, several times, and others like joe-whatshisname. I'm not looking them up though.
    I did a Google search for all sonhouse and 667joe posts which contain the words 'abolish' and 'Christianity', nothing came up.
  5. Standard memberRBHILL
    Acts 13:48
    California
    Moves
    27 May '13 16:07
    Originally posted by Taoman
    Forum Guidelines:
    "Do not harass other members of the community. Harassment is any unwanted conduct including insults, jokes and any remarks affecting the dignity of another. Such conduct could relate to gender, race, nationality, sexuality, religion, disability or other similarly sensitive issues."
    ---------------------------------------------------
    Radic ...[text shortened]... s playing right into their hands like some insightless ultraright redneck fools on this forum.
    Your mama
  6. Standard memberRJHinds
    The Near Genius
    Fort Gordon
    Moves
    27 May '13 17:542 edits
    Go back and look at what sunhouse has said about freedom from religion. He wants all religion to be abolished. He may have not used that word, but his meaning for them to end or to be done away with them is the same.

The Instructor
  7. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    28 May '13 00:351 edit
    Originally posted by RJHinds
    Go back and look at what sunhouse has said about freedom from religion. He wants all religion to be abolished. He may have not used that word, but his meaning for them to end or to be done away with them is the same.

The Instructor
    I don't care if Paulists and Muslims start WW3, I just don't want to be around either one of them. I just want a country where religious asssholes aren't trying to take over.

I never said abolish religion. I did say I would like to see an anti religion virus spread throughout the world where all of a sudden people would go 'we believed in that crap? Maybe now we can be friends with former Muslims'. That would be something to behold.
  8. Standard memberkaroly aczel
    The Axe man
    Brisbane,QLD
    Moves
    28 May '13 19:521 edit
    I did a Google search for all sonhouse and 667joe posts which contain the words 'abolish' and 'Christianity', nothing came up.
    I believe sonhouse was referring to all organized religions if I remember correctly.

edit: I see he has responded himself, oops.
  9. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    28 May '13 20:031 edit
    I just did a Google search on your post here and it didn't come up.

Edit: by the way, you're sounding like robbie carrobie.
  10. Standard memberRJHinds
    The Near Genius
    Fort Gordon
    Moves
    29 May '13 05:251 edit
    Originally posted by sonhouse
    I don't care if Paulists and Muslims start WW3, I just don't want to be around either one of them. I just want a country where religious asssholes aren't trying to take over.

I never said abolish religion. I did say I would like to see an anti religion virus spread throughout the world where all of a sudden people would go 'we believed in that crap? Maybe now we can be friends with former Muslims'. That would be something to behold.
    How about this, which is better Christianity or islam?

Iran Says The End of the World Has Arrived

http://www.youtube.com/watch?NR=1&feature=fvwp&v=wzTRXc1MAZ0

The instructor
  11. Standard membercaissad4
    Child of the Novelty
    San Antonio, Texas
    Moves
    29 May '13 05:32
    How about this, which is better than Christianity or islam?
    Iran Says The End of the World Has Arrived
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?NR=1&feature=fvwp&v=wzTRXc1MAZ0
    The instructor
    You ask which is better than Christianity or Islam.
    Answer: Buddhism is better than Christianity or Islam for me.
    Just why would you ask what is better than Christianity or Islam?? 🙄🙄
  12. Standard memberRJHinds
    The Near Genius
    Fort Gordon
    Moves
    29 May '13 05:41
    Originally posted by caissad4
    You ask which is better than Christianity or Islam.
    Answer: Buddhism is better than Christianity or Islam for me.
    Just why would you ask what is better than Christianity or Islam?? 🙄🙄
    I worded that wrong. But I meant to ask sunhouse which was better between Christianity and Islam. I don't give a rats ass about Buddhism.

The Instructor
  13. Standard membercaissad4
    Child of the Novelty
    San Antonio, Texas
    Moves
    29 May '13 05:44
    I worded that wrong. But I meant to ask sunhouse which was better between Christianity and Islam. I don't give a rats ass about Buddhism.
    The Instructor
    Very well. You can keep your rats ass.
    You are a very bizarre person. 🙄🙄🙄🙄🙄🙄
  14. Standard memberRJHinds
    The Near Genius
    Fort Gordon
    Moves
    29 May '13 05:51
    Originally posted by caissad4
    Very well. You can keep your rats ass.
    You are a very bizarre person. 🙄🙄🙄🙄🙄🙄
    I am only extraordinary because of the anointing of the Holy Spirit.

HalleluYah !!! Praise the Lord! Glory be to God! Holy! Holy! Holy!

The instructor
  15. Standard memberSwissGambit
    Caninus Interruptus
    Moves
    29 May '13 06:10
    I just did a Google search on your post here and it didn't come up.

Edit: by the way, you're sounding like robbie carrobie.
    They don't show up on Google that quickly. But, after a few days, the page will be crawled and it will be in there.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree