1. Unknown Territories
    Moves
    13 Jan '06 04:401 edit
    This thread is an attempt to inform on the biblical perspective of when life begins, humanly speaking.
    I am not an expert on theology, biology, Hebrew, Chaldean or Greek. I would not even rate my understanding of the level of student, yet. More student-wannabe, for the time being.
    Nonetheless, it is profitable for the believer to study theology and the mentioned subjects to make the issue (and attendant issues) more perspicuous.
    Profit for the unbeliever is unknown; however, it is assumed those reading are--- at least--- of an open mind.

The opening chapters of Genesis utilize four verbs in describing God's creation of human life.
    BARA 'to create from nothing.' Generating inorganic matter from nothing previously existing, God created the heavens and the earth, provided life to animals, and humans.

1:27
    And God created [bara] man in His own image, in the image of God, He created [bara] him; male and female he created [bara] them.

YATSAR 'formed.' While Adam's life, animal life, were created from nothing, Adam in particular was unique, in that his body was formed from dust, itself already existing.

2:7
    the the LORD God formed [yatsar] man of dust from the ground.

Biological life, while material, does not include a human soul, which is immaterial.

ASAH 'to make' or manufacture, after a pattern.

1:26
    The God said, "Let Us make [asah] man in Our image, according to Our likeness."

The pattern was Himself, betselem and 'likeness.' Today's Hebrew echoes the ancient image, in that it speaks of spiritual similarity, rather than a physical, or bodily similarity. As such, man is not a duplication of God (blasphemous), but rather, a shadow image, invisible, but real.

WHO GIVES HUMAN LIFE?
    As the image of God, human beings are endowed with rational, moral, and relational capacities, which God empowers with the spark of life. As the image of God, human beings are the only creatures who uniquely reflect God.

Our real essence, like God, can only be defined by its characteristics. Among them, self-consciousness, mentality, volition and conscience, constitute a person's soul, living within a biological body.

BANAH 'to build.' Unlike yatsar, creating out of existing material, yatsar depicts construction.

2:22
    And the LORD God fashioned [banah] into a woman the rib which He had taken from the man, and brought her to the man.

Biological and soul life were given to Adam and the woman simultaneously, first to Adam, then to the woman. These four verbs designate two of the three categories of life.
  2. Standard memberno1marauder
    Naturally Right
    Somewhere Else
    Moves
    13 Jan '06 04:581 edit
    Originally posted by FreakyKBH
    This thread is an attempt to inform on the biblical perspective of when life begins, humanly speaking.
    I am not an expert on theology, biology, Hebrew, Chaldean or Greek. I would not even rate my understanding of the level of student, yet. More student-wannabe, for the time being.
    Nonetheless, it is profitable for the believer to study theology and the n to the woman. These four verbs designate two of the three categories of life.
    The stork would be just as good as a fairy tale. Actually better, since we know the stork exists.
  3. Standard memberNemesio
    Ursulakantor
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Moves
    13 Jan '06 07:54
    These four verbs designate two of the three categories of life.
    I've enjoyed the tour so far. I'll wait for the next installment.

Nemesio
  4. Standard memberscottishinnz
    Kichigai!
    Osaka
    Moves
    13 Jan '06 08:591 edit
    Nonetheless, it is profitable for the believer to study theology and the n to the woman. These four verbs designate two of the three categories of life.
    Freaky,

I'm interested in your definition of the word simultaneously...

"Biological and soul life were given to Adam and the woman simultaneously, first to Adam, then to the woman. These four verbs designate two of the three categories of life."

How can god give them biological life and souls simultanously and one after the other?

Oh wait....

God can do anything he likes, the rules of physics don't apply to god. I forgot for a second....

btw, what are the 'three categories of life'?
  5. Standard memberno1marauder
    Naturally Right
    Somewhere Else
    Moves
    13 Jan '06 09:06
    Originally posted by scottishinnz
    Freaky,

I'm interested in your definition of the word simulataneously...

"Biological and soul life were given to Adam and the woman simultaneously, first to Adam, then to the woman. These four verbs designate two of the three categories of life."

How can god give them biological life and souls simulatanously and one after the other?

O ...[text shortened]... pply to god. I forgot for a second....

btw, what are the 'three categories of life'?
    Cinnamon, Honey Graham and Vanilla Yogurt Crunch.

http://www.lifecereal.com/LFE_ProductsNutrition/LifeRegular.cfm
  6. The sky
    Moves
    13 Jan '06 09:12
    Originally posted by scottishinnz

How can god give them biological life and souls simulatanously and one after the other?
    I was wondering about that as well, but then I figured out that he probably meant that biological life and soul were given simultaneously, not that Adam and Eve were given life simultaneously.
  7. Standard memberfrogstomp
    Bruno's Ghost
    In a hot place
    Moves
    13 Jan '06 10:352 edits
    Ninhursag: "My brother what hurts thee?"
    Enki: "My rib hurts me."
    Ninhursag: "To the goddess Ninti I give birth for thee."

(Kramer, Sumerian Mythology 58)

Now the Sumerian word for "rib" is ti (pronounced "tee" ). The goddess created for the healing of Enki's rib, therefore was called in Sumerian Nin-ti, "the lady of the rib." But the very same Sumerian word ti also means "to make live." The name Nin-ti may thus mean "the lady who makes live," as well as "the lady of the rib." In Sumerian literature, therefore, "the lady of the rib" came to be identified with "the lady who makes live" through what might be termed a play on words. (Kramer, Mythologies 103)

any comments?
  8. Standard memberBosse de Nage
    Zellulärer Automat
    Spiel des Lebens
    Moves
    13 Jan '06 10:41
    Originally posted by frogstomp
    any comments?
    The editor is king.
  9. Unknown Territories
    Moves
    13 Jan '06 15:37
    Originally posted by Nemesio
    I've enjoyed the tour so far. I'll wait for the next installment.

Nemesio
    Well, for one, I messed up the thread title, so went back to insert WHO GIVES HUMAN LIFE at the top of the first post, and now see I somehow inserted it right in the midst of the four verbs. My mistake, and thanks for overlooking the same.
  10. Unknown Territories
    Moves
    13 Jan '06 16:191 edit
    The pattern of God's creation here is delineated:

2:7
    The the LORD God formed [yatsar] man of dust from the ground [biological life] and breathed [naphach] into his nostrils the breath of life [neshamat chayyim, soul life]; and man became a living being [nephesh chayya, literally a soul having life, or human life].

Naphach, or breathed into, resulted in neshamat chayyim, the breath of life. The breath of God, or neshamat, is breathed into, neshamah, the first man--- a spark of God's own life (compare with Isa. 42:5; John 1:3; Col. 1:16). There is a contrast between God forming the man out of the dirt, or biological life, and the breathing of the intangible essence of soul life. Until this point, man was formed biologically alive, but not a living soul.
    As such, nephesh chayyah becomes the third category of life, human life.

There is a similiarity to God's creation inherent in every human being. God created biological life from the dust, the chemicals of the soil.
    God created soul life from nothing, imparted it to the biological life.
    God combines the biological life with the soul life to create human life.
    The use of the Hebrew waw in 2:7, denotes the consecutive order of God's creative acts, as seen in the previous three sentences.

Although biological life and soul life were given directly and simultaneously to Adam and then the woman, it has not been repeated since. Only twice in history has God done this. 3:16 shows human life would continue, and, as we can all atest, biological life is conceived in copulation, with development in the uterus. However, soul life has always been created by God, imparted at the moment of birth. Therefore, the contrast between the origins of biological life and soul life must be revealed in order to understand the perpetuation.

Biological life, in the womb, is entirely dependent on the mother. Soul life, however, is entirely dependent on God. The first breath of life, from God exhaling into Adam, is the pattern for the instant of human life for all that follow. And, a baby draws its first breath when God imparts His divine breath in the baby's nostrils. It cannot happen any other way.

Adam's fall brought the sin nature with it (Rom 5:12), therefore God does not give biological life, as to do so would compromise His character. The sin nature, or corruption, of Adam's legacy make God's involvement with biological life impossible. Therefore, He creates the soul immediately at birth, apart from the corruption of the sin nature, without implication and/or involvement with the sin of Adam.

God continues to create human life, as seen in Isa. 2:22, 57:16; Job 1:21; Ecc. 12:7; Isa. 42:5; Job 33:4. The verbiage used in these passages:
    neshamah chayyah
    ruach
    neshamah
    asah
    speak to the constrasts between the material and immaterial parts of man, the Author of the same, their final dispositions, etc.
  11. Standard memberNemesio
    Ursulakantor
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Moves
    13 Jan '06 19:53
    Originally posted by no1marauder
    Cinnamon, Honey Graham and Vanilla Yogurt Crunch.

http://www.lifecereal.com/LFE_ProductsNutrition/LifeRegular.cfm
    LMFAO
  12. Not Kansas
    Moves
    13 Jan '06 20:24
    Nonetheless, it is profitable for the believer to study theology and the ...[text shortened]... n to the woman. These four verbs designate two of the three categories of life.
    I vote for the Primeval Ooze.
  13. Standard memberfrogstomp
    Bruno's Ghost
    In a hot place
    Moves
    13 Jan '06 20:55
    Man is this religiosus stuff just so obsolete;
    That OT bible sham god ,that acts like a spoiled 3yr old couldn't have created even a poopie in his pantaloons, since it don't exist.
    People need to look elsewhere if they want to learn about God, not that He's really worried about it.
  14. Standard memberscottishinnz
    Kichigai!
    Osaka
    Moves
    14 Jan '06 00:25
    Nonetheless, it is profitable for the believer to study theology and the ...[text shortened]... n to the woman. These four verbs designate two of the three categories of life.
    First you have to prove that humans were 'given' life. Then you need to prove who gave it.
  15. Unknown Territories
    Moves
    14 Jan '06 06:03
    Originally posted by frogstomp
    Man is this religiosus stuff just so obsolete;
    That OT bible sham god ,that acts like a spoiled 3yr old couldn't have created even a poopie in his pantaloons, since it don't exist.
    People need to look elsewhere if they want to learn about God, not that He's really worried about it.
    Make sure you write your stuff down: people could be learning from you, and you gotta make sure that you don't get misquoted.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree