1. SubscriberGhost of a Duke
    A Spirited Misfit
    in London
    Moves
    04 Apr '16 14:23
    'Therefore the Lord himself shall give you a sign; Behold, a virgin shall conceive, and bear a son, and shall call his name Immanuel.'

Isaiah 7:14 (KJV)

Does anyone know?!
  2. Joined
    11 Oct '04
    Moves
    04 Apr '16 14:303 edits
    Originally posted by Ghost of a Duke
    'Therefore the Lord himself shall give you a sign; Behold, a virgin shall conceive, and bear a son, and shall call his name Immanuel.'

Does anyone know?!
    I watched a few films called this when I was a teenager. Don't recall it being a bloke, but then again my eyesight had begun to deteriorate quite badly.
  3. Standard memberRemoved
    Moves
    04 Apr '16 15:05

Does anyone know?!
    An illegal from Mexico? πŸ˜€...Sorry, couldn't help myself.

The term means "God with us" or "God is with us".
    We know that God was with us in Jesus Christ, and Jesus himself said that if one had seen him, he had seen the Father. Names are often symbolic, the meaning of the name importing some characteristic that God wants us to know. When Jesus is called the Lion of Judah, the Lamb, or the tent peg (Zech. 10:4), God is importing characteristics about Jesus that He wants us to know. When it comes to Immanuel, God wants us to know that through Jesus Christ, God was with us. Not with us literally, but acting powerfully through His Son, just as 2 Corinthians 5:19 indicates: “That God was in Christ, reconciling the world to Himself.” It is important to read exactly what was written: God was in Christ, not God was Christ.
    http://www.revisedenglishversion.com/Matthew/1/23
  4. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    04 Apr '16 15:16

Does anyone know?!
    Well, there was Immanuel Lasker, I heard he could play chess......
  5. SubscriberGhost of a Duke
    A Spirited Misfit
    in London
    Moves
    04 Apr '16 15:17
    Originally posted by checkbaiter
    An illegal from Mexico? πŸ˜€...Sorry, couldn't help myself.

The term means "God with us" or "God is with us".
    We know that God was with us in Jesus Christ, and Jesus himself said that if one had seen him, he had seen the Father. Names are often symbolic, the meaning of the name importing some characteristic that God wants us to know. When Jesus is ca ...[text shortened]... itten: God was in Christ, not God was Christ.
    http://www.revisedenglishversion.com/Matthew/1/23
    πŸ™‚ Thanks for the answer; though suspect if the verse had read '...and shall call his name Bernard,' you would have provided an equally impressive explanation.

Am i right in thinking Immanuel is not taken to mean Jesus in Judaism?
  6. SubscriberGhost of a Duke
    A Spirited Misfit
    in London
    Moves
    04 Apr '16 15:22
    Originally posted by sonhouse
    Well, there was Immanuel Lasker, I heard he could play chess......
    He did once hold me to a draw.
  7. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    04 Apr '16 15:24
    qOriginally posted by Ghost of a Duke
    He did once hold me to a draw.
    BTW, you are lucky your queen has a square to go to in our gameπŸ™‚
  8. SubscriberGhost of a Duke
    A Spirited Misfit
    in London
    Moves
    04 Apr '16 16:37
    Originally posted by sonhouse
    BTW, you are lucky your queen has a square to go to in our gameπŸ™‚
    I'm luckier than you think, as very nearly took your bishop with my queen! (Thinking i had won the bishop, due to the position of my rook). Took me a few seconds to realise my oversight.
  9. Standard memberHandyAndy
    Non sum qualis eram
    At the edge
    Moves
    04 Apr '16 17:54

Does anyone know?!
    Kant
  10. SubscriberGhost of a Duke
    A Spirited Misfit
    in London
    Moves
    04 Apr '16 17:58
    Originally posted by HandyAndy
    Kant
    Why Kant you?

😞
  11. Standard memberRemoved
    Moves
    04 Apr '16 18:00
    πŸ™‚ Thanks for the answer; though suspect if the verse had read '...and shall call his name Bernard,' you would have provided an equally impressive explanation.

It means , “Yehoshua,” which means “Yahweh is salvation." Yahweh is the name used for God.
  12. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    04 Apr '16 18:02

I understand it to be more of a title than a name, but can be a name also. A bit like Obama is also Mr President for example. I could be completely wrong of course but it sounds reasonable to me.
  13. Standard memberRemoved
    Moves
    04 Apr '16 18:09
    I remember reading that all bible names are not actual names. They seem to represent the character of the person. For example Delilah meant "Pining away". She pined away at Sampson day after day to reveal the secret of his strength.
  14. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    04 Apr '16 18:18
    Originally posted by checkbaiter
    I remember reading that all bible names are not actual names. They seem to represent the character of the person. For example Delilah meant "Pining away". She pined away at Sampson day after day to reveal the secret of his strength.
    The story of Sampson is one that I've never got to grips with. OK Vic Mature did a poor job on him in the movie, but seriously, where is the gospel message in that one?
  15. SubscriberGhost of a Duke
    A Spirited Misfit
    in London
    Moves
    04 Apr '16 18:23
    Originally posted by divegeester
    I understand it to be more of a title than a name, but can be a name also. A bit like Obama is also Mr President for example. I could be completely wrong of course but it sounds reasonable to me.
    I guess that makes sense. Rather like Luke 1:32;

'He will be great and will be called the Son of the Most High.'