1. Standard memberAgerg
    The 'edit'or
    converging to it
    Moves
    11 Sep '14 21:336 edits
    Originally posted by checkbaiter
    "And it came to pass, that at midnight the LORD [b]smote all the firstborn in the land of Egypt, from the firstborn of Pharaoh that sat on his throne unto the firstborn of the captive that was in the dungeon; and all the firstborn of cattle. And Pharaoh rose up in the night, he, and all his servants, and all the Egyptians; and there was a grea ...[text shortened]... "

Here again, you are not understanding what was required to properly handle the Ark.[/b]
    But this is all just special pleading ... indeed if the bible had said something along the lines of:

"And that they did not look upon the LORD, all the blind of Jericho were smote with smallpox, and their children, and their wives for 700 years: and the deaf could not sleep through their screams, and the paralysed were restless; and the world would never forget His vengeance*, for the LORD spake that none shall turn from His gaze."

You'd have said something along the lines of ... "Aha! but you forgot how they committed an unthinkable blasphemy by turning away from their creator!!"

As for your rebuttals, in the first he didn't have to kill all the children did he!? and he could have intervened on the slavery before it got to the point where he would start thinking about going on a killing spree. As for the second - this is a variant of the speculative response you'd make above.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    * and of course on another note, people would have used that passage to fulfil a couple of prophesies too
  2. R
    Standard memberRemoved
    Moves
    11 Sep '14 21:58
    Originally posted by Agerg
    But this is all just special pleading ... indeed if the bible had said something along the lines of:

[quote]"And that they did not look upon the LORD, all the blind of Jericho were smote with smallpox, and their children, and their wives for 700 years: and the deaf could not sleep through their screams, and the paralysed were restless; and the world would n ...[text shortened]... course on another note, people would have used that passage to fulfil a couple of prophesies too
    "And that they did not look upon the LORD, all the blind of Jericho were smote with smallpox, and their children, and their wives for 700 years: and the deaf could not sleep through their screams of agony, and the paralysed were restless; and the world would never forget this anguish*, for the LORD spake that none shall turn from his gaze."

Where is this in the bible?
  3. Standard memberAgerg
    The 'edit'or
    converging to it
    Moves
    11 Sep '14 22:042 edits
    [b] "And that they did not look upon the LORD, all the blind of Jericho were smote with smallpox, and their children, and their wives for 700 years: and the deaf could not sleep through their screams of agony, and the paralysed were restless; and the world would never forget this anguish*, for the LORD spake that none shall turn from his gaze."

Where is this in the bible?[/b]
    A re-read of the post to which yours here is a response, and a bit of thinking time should illuminate where in the Bible you might find that passage ... yes I have finished tweaking it.
  4. R
    Standard memberRemoved
    Moves
    11 Sep '14 22:17
    A re-read of the post to which yours here is a response, and a bit of thinking time should illuminate where in the Bible you might find that passage ... yes I have finished tweaking it.
    Sorry, I don't have time to play games...this is not bible, and especially if you "tweaked" it..
  5. Standard memberAgerg
    The 'edit'or
    converging to it
    Moves
    11 Sep '14 22:20
    Sorry, I don't have time to play games...this is not bible, and especially if you "tweaked" it..
    Clue: I said (and this was not edited) ...

But this is all just special pleading ... indeed if the bible had said something along the lines of

6. Subscriberjosephw
    Owner
    Scoffer Mocker
    Moves
    12 Sep '14 00:00
    Woot ... a challenge!

Ok, first up [b]"slaughtering"
    . Does the Bible say the following:

"And it came to pass, that at midnight the LORD smote all the firstborn in the land of Egypt, from the firstborn of Pharaoh that sat on his throne unto the firstborn of the captive that was in the dungeon; and all the firstborn of cattle. And Pharaoh ...[text shortened]... because the LORD had smitten many of the people with a great slaughter."

? 🙂[/b]
    I'm not challenging you Agerg.

What kind of a God is it that isn't perfect?

A simple question. Can you answer it?
  7. Standard memberwolfgang59
    Quiz Master
    RHP Arms
    Moves
    12 Sep '14 01:24
    Originally posted by josephw

The Greeks and Romans had a whole pantheon of them.
    And you can include yours of course, a perfect god would
    not show jealousy or anger or torture his own son or
    blame people for the sins of their forbears or .............
  8. R
    Standard memberRemoved
    Moves
    12 Sep '14 01:30
    Clue: I said (and this was not edited) ...

But this is all just special pleading ... indeed [b]if
    the bible had said something along the lines of

...[/b]
    I understand, but I think, you think, this is how God is represented in the bible.
    This is how you view God.
    If only you knew how good and kind he really is.
    All your views and understanding of his character are utterly flawed.
  9. Standard memberwolfgang59
    Quiz Master
    RHP Arms
    Moves
    12 Sep '14 01:34
    All your views and understanding of his character are utterly flawed.
    Or yours are.

What do you think of Heathcliff in Wuthering Heights?
  10. R
    Standard memberRemoved
    Moves
    12 Sep '14 03:49
    Originally posted by wolfgang59
    Or yours are.

What do you think of Heathcliff in Wuthering Heights?
    Never heard of it...
  11. Standard memberAgerg
    The 'edit'or
    converging to it
    Moves
    12 Sep '14 21:413 edits
    Originally posted by josephw

I'll take it that I totally nailed the slaughtering point ... booyah! ... Shall I demonstrate torturing now!? 🙂

As for your simple question, wolfgang59 beat me to it but a god that isn't perfect would be *your* "God". Furthermore, I see no reason why a god *should* be perfect.
  12. Standard memberDeepThought
    Losing the Thread
    Quarantined World
    Moves
    12 Sep '14 23:02
    Never heard of it...
    Are you seriously saying you have never heard of "Wuthering Heights"? That is quite breathtaking, I mean really really astounding. It's one of the great English Novels, one can make an argument for the greatest. My gast is utterly flabberred; this book was referenced by Camus in the Rebel, it's the title of a song by Kate Bush; how can you not have heard of Wuthering Heights by Emily Brontë?
  13. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    13 Sep '14 06:331 edit
    Originally posted by DeepThought
    Are you seriously saying you have never heard of "Wuthering Heights"? That is quite breathtaking, I mean really really astounding. It's one of the great English Novels, one can make an argument for the greatest. My gast is utterly flabberred; this book was referenced by Camus in the Rebel, it's the title of a song by Kate Bush; how can you not have heard of Wuthering Heights by Emily Brontë?
    Also considering Wuthering Heights has been made into movies and plays......
    What do you think of Heathcliff? Was he justified in his revenge?
  14. Standard memberredbadger
    Suzzie says Badger
    is Racist Bastard
    Moves
    13 Sep '14 08:39
    Originally posted by robbie carrobie
    wow so much bitterness.
    Bitersweet perhapse
  15. Standard memberDeepThought
    Losing the Thread
    Quarantined World
    Moves
    14 Sep '14 17:30
    Originally posted by sonhouse
    Also considering Wuthering Heights has been made into movies and plays......
    What do you think of Heathcliff? Was he justified in his revenge?
    Not really, I think that's part of the point of the book. He goes for this revenge, driven by jealousy, and destroys himself and everyone around him.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree