1. Standard memberGrampy Bobby
    Boston Lad
    USA
    Moves
    04 Apr '15 03:30
    Originally posted by Agerg
    Is it me, who claims that the god put forward by Bible literalists isn't just irrational, but is completely and totally daft?

or is it the fundamentalist theist, who claims that there exists a god that really *is* as daft as they claim!?

Can you imagine some god cringing up there in the clouds as people tell tales about all the "clever" things he's don ...[text shortened]... HIS IS HOW YOU REPAY ME!!??? by making everyone think I'm an idiot!!??? 😠 😠 😠 😠 RAGGGGHHHHH"
    Agerg, may I ask you one question: What do you see when you look at yourself in the mirror? You seem distraught.
  2. Standard memberGrampy Bobby
    Boston Lad
    USA
    Moves
    04 Apr '15 03:31
    Originally posted by Suzianne
    Very good, Joe. I agree.
    Glad you and Joe are here.
  3. Standard memberGrampy Bobby
    Boston Lad
    USA
    Moves
    04 Apr '15 03:34
    Originally posted by vistesd
    I don’t believe that.

But even if the revelation were directly from G*d, in words chosen by G*d—and even ignoring issues of translation, and metaphorical language and such—it is, I believe, self-deceptive to think that one does not interpret (and choose particular meanings from those available in the given words and phrases) as one reads. Even if the wo ...[text shortened]... who has chosen for them. Translation just exacerbates all that.

Hi, Joe. Hope you are well.
    "I don’t believe that." vistesd, you assent to the presence of human volition; follow on question: what do you "believe"?
  4. Standard memberDasa
    Dasa
    Account suspended
    Moves
    04 Apr '15 06:31
    Is it me, who claims that the god put forward by Bible literalists isn't just irrational, but is completely and totally daft?

or is it the fundamentalist theist, who claims that there exists a god that really *is* as daft as they claim!?

Can you imagine some god cringing up there in the clouds as people tell tales about all the "clever" things he's don ...[text shortened]... HIS IS HOW YOU REPAY ME!!??? by making everyone think I'm an idiot!!??? 😠 😠 😠 😠 RAGGGGHHHHH"
    You are right to finally understand the falsity that is Christianity and Islam and Judaism etc.

Now instead of just walking away...................you must seek out TRUE religion.

The sincere and honest man shall find it..............and be pleased.
  5. Standard memberRJHinds
    The Near Genius
    Fort Gordon
    Moves
    04 Apr '15 06:481 edit
    Originally posted by Dasa
    You are right to finally understand the falsity that is Christianity and Islam and Judaism etc.

Now instead of just walking away...................you must seek out TRUE religion.

The sincere and honest man shall find it..............and be pleased.
    Now you are being ignorant and dishonest. You ignore the falsity of the Vedas. 😏
  6. Cape Town
    Moves
    04 Apr '15 06:531 edit
    Rather like Zen koans: using words to “point to” what cannot be properly described.
    Even pointing to, is a description of sorts, and thus definitional.

As a nondualist, what I call G*d is not likely what josephw, say, means. But I have argued at length before that the word—in other languages—has been used going back to ancient times to mean other things than the conventional god of supernaturalist dualism.
    I see nothing wrong with a word having multiple meanings depending on context. Nevertheless, it must either hold some meaning, or be meaningless. Thus either the Rabbi must be content with it being meaningless, or he must be merely putting a limit on the specificity of the word. Surely that limit is arbitrary? Surely we can claim the Rabbi is an idolater too?
  7. Joined
    04 Feb '05
    Moves
    04 Apr '15 09:151 edit
    Well if I was able to speak dog, and I created the entire universe, and I wanted dogs to tell tales about how awesome I was, and worship me, and so on and so forth ... and instead they all walked around with the passionate belief that I routinely do stuff that is thicker than the least of them. Then yeah ... I'd be pretty damned p!ssed at the dog that made a l ...[text shortened]... out of me, and those perpetuating it (it'll be poodles I'll wager ... can't trust any of them!)
    yes, you force the idea of god to be an insecure egotistical little child who can't stand anyone having anything but the best opinion of him. so naturally he will be pissed with blasphemers.

i am asking you to look at it from another perspective. i am asking you to consider god as a hyper intelligent being. and THEN consider what traits would he have. do you, as an intelligent being, get upset at a dog which has a bad opinion of yourself? does neil degrasse tyson or bill nye get upset because hovind or hamm have a bad opinion of them? or do they simply not care?

i would go so far to say that tyson is actually amused by hovind
  8. Joined
    04 Feb '05
    Moves
    04 Apr '15 09:17
    Dogs understand having an unconditional love, and therefore, in some respects I can see dogs having a better understanding of God than some people do.
    so what you are saying is that the dumber you are, the more "understanding" you have of god?
  9. SubscriberSuzianne
    Misfit Queen
    Isle of Misfit Toys
    Moves
    04 Apr '15 10:04
    Originally posted by Zahlanzi
    so what you are saying is that the dumber you are, the more "understanding" you have of god?
    No, I'm not saying that at all, and so you're still going to have to work on your understanding.

I can only assume that you miss the entire point of my post, which was unconditional love, on purpose, in order to make some nebulous point of your own. Well, try again.
  10. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    04 Apr '15 10:07
    No, I'm not saying that at all, and so you're still going to have to work on your understanding.

I can only assume that you miss the entire point of my post, which was unconditional love, on purpose, in order to make some nebulous point of your own. Well, try again.
    What "understanding of God" are you claiming dogs have?
  11. Standard memberRJHinds
    The Near Genius
    Fort Gordon
    Moves
    04 Apr '15 18:14
    Originally posted by twhitehead

[b]As a nondualist, what I call G*d is not likely what josephw, say, means. But I have argued at length before that the word—in other languages—has been used going back to ancient times to mean other things than the conventional god of supernaturalist dualism.

I see nothing wrong ...[text shortened]... y of the word. Surely that limit is arbitrary? Surely we can claim the Rabbi is an idolater too?[/b]
    The JWs claim Jehovah is the name of God. When I respond with Exodus 3:13-14 of the King James Version of the Holy Bible giving the name of God, robbie carrobie says that makes no sense.
    And Moses said unto God, Behold, when I come unto the children of Israel, and shall say unto them, The God of your fathers hath sent me unto you; and they shall say to me, What is his name? what shall I say unto them?

And God said unto Moses, I Am That I Am: and he said, Thus shalt thou say unto the children of Israel, I Am hath sent me unto you.

Does Jehovah make sense? What say you?
  12. Hmmm . . .
    Moves
    05 Apr '15 15:51
    Originally posted by Grampy Bobby
    "I don’t believe that." vistesd, you assent to the presence of human volition; follow on question: what do you "believe"?
    I think (believe) that it is not heresy to say that G*d cannot be known as Joseph asserted. The basis for that disagreement, in to context of his post, is that twofold: (1) I think that whatever revelation (if there is such) is of necessity subject to human interpretation (and thus it is those interpretations that we really debate on here); and (2) I think, with scholar of Judaic Studies David S. Ariel, that the Hebrew Scriptures represent the religious mythology of the Jews, not a literalistic disclosure of historical fact (either about the people or the divine). [Not that there may not be historical fact embedded therein.]

I do not hold mythology to be meaningless, just a different kind of discourse that, like poetic metaphor, has to be interpreted according to its own literary devices. (I prefer the word “story” to “Myth”, just because I think it is a broader term.)

Hi Grampy. Hope you are well.
  13. Hmmm . . .
    Moves
    05 Apr '15 15:591 edit
    Originally posted by twhitehead

[b]As a nondualist, what I call G*d is not likely what josephw, say, means. But I have argued at length before that the word—in other languages—has been used going back to ancient times to mean other things than the conventional god of supernaturalist dualism.

I see nothing wrong ...[text shortened]... y of the word. Surely that limit is arbitrary? Surely we can claim the Rabbi is an idolater too?[/b]
    [b]Nevertheless, it must either hold some meaning, or be meaningless.[//b]

Of course. That is just tautological.

I might be confusing things (since this is the kind of thing that you and I are usually in some agreement on), so I will try to clarify. I think our potential disagreement is centered on that word “definition.” So, I have committed the “sacrilege” of consulting the dictionary—for illustration.

The Oxford English Dictionary—here:

http://www.oed.com/view/Entry/48886?redirectedFrom=definition&

—offers 6 definitions of “definition”. I’m not saying that’s exhaustive, but gives some range. Which of those definitions of “definition” is closest to how you are using the word? Which do you think is closest to how the rabbi and I are using the word?
  14. Cape Town
    Moves
    05 Apr '15 16:20
    Which do you think is closest to how the rabbi and I are using the word?
    Probably 4b.
    I am basically saying that the Rabbi is claiming we can say nothing about God, yet the very word must have meaning and thus be saying something about God.
  15. Hmmm . . .
    Moves
    05 Apr '15 16:35
    Originally posted by RJHinds
    The JWs claim Jehovah is the name of God. When I respond with Exodus 3:13-14 of the King James Version of the Holy Bible giving the name of God, robbie carrobie says that makes no sense.
    And Moses said unto God, Behold, when I come unto the children of Israel, and shall say unto them, The God of your fathers hath sent me unto you; and they shall sa ...[text shortened]... children of Israel, I Am hath sent me unto you.

Does Jehovah make sense? What say you?
    ehyeh asher ehyeh: I am that I am, or I will be what I will be, etc. (The Hebrew is in the imperfect tense, signifying uncompleted or continuing action—there is no present or future tense in the classical Hebrew, per se.)

YHVH: a 3rd person verb construct from ehyeh meaning “who is”, that is”, etc.

YHVH is taken as a name (names in classical Hebrew often, if not always convey meaning—in this case just uncompleted or continuing being or “beingness” ). But it is really a verb, not a noun.

Most Bibles substitute the word “LORD” for YHVH, in view of the traditional prohibition on pronouncing it. The New Jerusalem Bible uses “Yahweh” (though that may not be the way it was pronounced, and there are some arguments against it). An Orthodox Jewish Tanach that I have substitutes the word hashem, which literally means “the name”, but is used as name. Liturgically, Jews use “Adonai” (lord), but non-liturgically Hashem is the more often used word. Richard Elliot Friedman, in his translation of the Torah, just keeps YHVH.*

“Jehovah” is just a Latinization of YHVH, with vowels added for pronunciation.

* An interesting aside on this: YHVH is all consonants—but happen to be the consonants that, in classical Hebrew, can sometimes be used as vowels. As all consonants, it is literally unpronounceable, but whether any, or all, of those letters were understood as vowels is unknown.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree