1. Standard memberRJHinds
    The Near Genius
    Fort Gordon
    Moves
    05 Apr '15 21:19
    Originally posted by vistesd
    ehyeh asher ehyeh: I am that I am, or I will be what I will be, etc. (The Hebrew is in the imperfect tense, signifying uncompleted or continuing action—there is no present or future tense in the classical Hebrew, per se.)

YHVH: a 3rd person verb construct from ehyeh meaning “who is”, that is”, etc.

YHVH is taken as a name (name ...[text shortened]... unpronounceable, but whether any, or all, of those letters were understood as vowels is unknown.
    I believe you have a lack of knowledge. It should be obvious to anyone with common sense that Jehovah is not the name of God. 😏

HalleluYah !!! Praise the LORD! Holy! Holy! Holy!
  2. Hmmm . . .
    Moves
    06 Apr '15 16:13
    Originally posted by twhitehead
    Probably 4b.
    I am basically saying that the Rabbi is claiming we can say nothing about God, yet the very word must have meaning and thus be saying something about God.
    Ah. I think it is closer to 4a. The difference is that one (4b) relates to “the signification of a word”, while the other (4a) relates to “the essential nature of a thing”. That is, 4b refers to the “signified” (meaning) of the sign/signifier “g-o-d”, while 4a refers to the “referent” (the actual—existent or nonexistent—thing that the signified refers to). This distinction also shows up in 3: “The action of defining, or stating exactly

—what a thing is, or

—what a word means.”

I don’t think Rav Kook intends to say that theological “signs” have no useful signified, but that the signifieds—especially singular signified—can be taken to state exactly or precisely the essential nature of the referent, or “exactly what the referent (thing: god) is”. He could as well have something like definition 1 in mind—especially in a context of process theology, as opposed to substance theology. And kabbalistic theology* has at least a large stream of such theology.

Now, of course, I am interpreting Rav Kook in ways that I agree with. But I think there are four (non-mutually-exclusive) issues at play:

(1) The inability of any sign/signified to adequately define, bound or limit the referent itself (in this case—not all referents).

(2) At least some of that stems from an underlying process theology, in which G*d as a process (YHVH as a verb) is always becoming, never complete. (This goes also to the possibility of definition 1 in the OED.)

(3) Rav Kook’s exception to a conceptual idolatry based sign-concepts is itself couched (deliberately I suspect) in metaphorical terms: “sparkling flashes”. This exception is intended to allow for language—metaphorically, allusively, etc.—as long as its limits are recognized.

(4) The polysemous nature of classical (Torah) Hebrew. This does go to the signified—indeed, even to determining the sign/signifier, especially from a Torah scroll (no conventional vowels, little in the way of word-breaks, etc.). You are right, of course, in that one must decide on (a) the sign/signifier, and (b) a particular signified, for a word or phrase or sentence to have any meaning at all. The difficulty with the Hebrew is in “defining” a singular signified (meaning), to the exclusion of others (even when context—and what kind of context?—is considered), let alone dogmatizing a singular meaning.

I agree that for a word to have meaning, it must express a coherent signified. But that is, again tautological (since I could just as well say that for a word to have meaning it must express a meaningful meaning). But, in terms of the four issues I outlined above, what I have called “conceptual idolatry” relates to insisting on one “right meaning” among, perhaps many, possibilities (even taking context into account); insisting that that meaning (signified) exactly (or even adequately) delimits the referent in question (G*d); and foreclosing G*d’s (YHVH’s) ability to become “whatever I will be” under a process theology.

Although I had some knowledge of the background and context for Rav Kook’s statement—not only in terms of some of his writing, but rabbinical hermeneutics—I erred, I think, in simply dumping Rav Kook’s quote out here. Your critique was cogent—and once again you have forced me to do a lot of work. 🙂 That is a good thing.

* Traditional kabbalah might be something of an “open range”; but I am not referring to any kind of new age “magical” kabbalah here, but the main source of Jewish nondualism.

BTW, it is not me that thumbed-down your post here, and I don't know why anyone would.
  3. Hmmm . . .
    Moves
    06 Apr '15 18:121 edit
    Originally posted by Suzianne
    He kinda has to give a mystical aspect to God, since he doesn't even believe the Son of God was made manifest and so he can't believe that God and man can be One, and so I would kind of expect him to have a misunderstanding of God.
    . . .since he doesn't even believe the Son of God was made manifest and so he can't believe that God and man can be One, and so I would kind of expect him to have a misunderstanding of God. (My italics)

I could just as well say that, since you don’t ”even” understand Oral Torah, I would kind of expect you to misunderstand the Written Torah, and hence the nature of “messiah”—and G*d. And that would be just as presumptuous and unfair.

I, however, am following a stream (certainly a major stream) of Jewish thought in which everything can be said to be manifestation of G*d as divine becoming—with the attendant warning against “conceptual idolatry” from Rav Kook (which I have expanded upon):

“The essence of divinity is found in every single thing—nothing but it exists... Do not attribute duality to God. Let God be solely God. If you suppose that Ein Sof emanates until a certain point, and that from that point on is outside it, you have dualized. Realize, rather, that Ein Sof exists in each existent. Do not say, ‘This is a stone and not God.’ Rather, all existence is God, and the stone is pervaded by divinity.”

—Rabbi Moshe Cordovero (16th century, quoted in Daniel Matt, ibid.)

Note: Ein Sof means “without end.” It is the ultimate term for “God”.

I’m not asking you to accept that: dualism versus non-dualism might be the “great impasse” in religious philosophy (and one which underlies other “impasses”—such as exclusivism versus non-exclusivism). And I do not presume that people on the other side of that divide from me are stupid, ignorant, or perverse. They may well be intelligent, well-informed, and honest and sincere.

Hope you are well these days, Suzianne.
  4. Hmmm . . .
    Moves
    06 Apr '15 18:212 edits
    Originally posted by vistesd
    I don’t think Rav Kook intends to say that theological “signs” have no useful signified, but that the signifieds—especially singular signified—can be taken to state exactly or precisely the essential nature of the referent, or “exactly what the referent (thing: god) is”.
    Too late to edit, I realized that I meant to say that "the signifieds--especially a singular signified--can not be taken to state exactly or precisely . . ." Apologies.
  5. The Ghost Chamber
    Moves
    06 Apr '15 19:21
    Originally posted by RJHinds
    I believe you have a lack of knowledge. It should be obvious to anyone with common sense that Jehovah is not the name of God. 😏

HalleluYah !!! Praise the LORD! Holy! Holy! Holy!
    I think it is obvious to anyone with common sense that Vistesd is not lacking in knowledge.

It was always my understanding that the numerous names for God described different aspects of his many-faceted character. (Elohim - Creator God etc).

Halle Berry!!! Praise the Lord! Halle! Halle! Halle!
  6. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    06 Apr '15 19:34
    Originally posted by Ghost of a Duke
    I think it is obvious to anyone with common sense that Vistesd is not lacking in knowledge.

It was always my understanding that the numerous names for God described different aspects of his many-faceted character. (Elohim - Creator God etc).

Halle Berry!!! Praise the Lord! Halle! Halle! Halle!
    It really is amazing how so much can be written about imaginary gods.
  7. The Ghost Chamber
    Moves
    06 Apr '15 20:32
    Originally posted by sonhouse
    And yet not nearly enough about Halle Berry.
  8. Hmmm . . .
    Moves
    06 Apr '15 20:32
    Originally posted by sonhouse
    It really is amazing how much poetry, story, art and music can be produced out of the human capacity to imagine many things. Terrible isn’t it.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree