1. Unknown Territories
    Moves
    22 Dec '05 04:17
    Originally posted by David C
    I would tend to the converse: The Greek, Egyptian, Sumerian, and Mesoamerican 'pantheon' of gods could have been the basis for the Biblical accounts of 'godmen' who walked among us in our previous iteration of civilisation (you know, the one wiped out by the flood). If you're asking for a reasonable explanation of their origins, there aren't man ...[text shortened]... you're willing to consider Zechariah Sitchin as reasonable, and Plato's Atlantis as plausible.
    That might be agreeable, if the Bible gave it more press, or at least a proportionate amount of press to that of Moses' contemporary cultures.

That mythology was prominent enough to inform and guide whole societies, and yet springs full bloom immediately following the antediluvian era. Curious.
  2. Standard memberBosse de Nage
    Zellulärer Automat
    Spiel des Lebens
    Moves
    22 Dec '05 05:53
    Originally posted by FreakyKBH
    That mythology was prominent enough to inform and guide whole societies, and yet springs full bloom immediately following the antediluvian era. Curious.
    That's according to the Bible. Why give press to the enemy? Bad policy. The Sumerians had their own ante-diluvian accounts replete with mythology. They don't mention Yahweh--does that mean he didn't yet exist?
  3. Unknown Territories
    Moves
    22 Dec '05 05:59
    Originally posted by Bosse de Nage
    That's according to the Bible. Why give press to the enemy? Bad policy. The Sumerians had their own ante-diluvian accounts replete with mythology. They don't mention Yahweh--does that mean he didn't yet exist?
    One wouldn't expect any mention at all regarding anything monotheistic from those societies, as even by the time of Moses, the Jews were just being born, as it were, as a nation.

I was going more toward the fact that there is no beginning offered anywhere, save the Bible.
  4. Standard memberBosse de Nage
    Zellulärer Automat
    Spiel des Lebens
    Moves
    22 Dec '05 06:05

I was going more toward the fact that there is no beginning offered anywhere, save the Bible.
    No beginning? What do you mean? Plenty of alternative creation stories out there.
  5. Unknown Territories
    Moves
    22 Dec '05 07:01
    Originally posted by Bosse de Nage
    No beginning? What do you mean? Plenty of alternative creation stories out there.
    For the mythologies? Perhaps I'm fogged by lack of sleep, but I can't think of any that explained their origins, at that early of a date.
    Help me out.
  6. Standard memberBosse de Nage
    Zellulärer Automat
    Spiel des Lebens
    Moves
    22 Dec '05 10:47
    For the mythologies? Perhaps I'm fogged by lack of sleep, but I can't think of any that explained their origins, at that early of a date.
    Help me out.
    Only fragments of the Sumerian creation story survive, but they're enough to show that the Sumerians did indeed have their own account of creation:

http://www.geocities.com/garyweb65/creation1.html
    http://faculty.gvsu.edu/websterm/SumerianMyth.htm
  7. Et in Arcadia ego...
    Moves
    22 Dec '05 12:23
    Originally posted by Halitose
    Not at all. It was comprehensive enough to discourage rebuttal.
    Excellent *pyramids fingers*. Job done, then. Tone considerably lowered. Result!
  8. Et in Arcadia ego...
    Moves
    22 Dec '05 12:24
    We're steeped in innuendo, thank you very much.
    Oooh errr, missus! Is that what she said? oooh, pardon!
  9. Standard memberAmaurote
    No Name Maddox
    County Doledrum
    Moves
    22 Dec '05 20:261 edit
    They were like the Harlem Globetrotters, only tetchier.
  10. Unknown Territories
    Moves
    22 Dec '05 22:39
    Originally posted by aspviper666
    last time i hire RBHills typist
    Typist? I thought you said he channeled. Maybe that was someone else.
  11. Forgotten
    Moves
    23 Dec '05 04:54
    Typist? I thought you said he channeled. Maybe that was someone else.
    i though the channelling comment he has made ment something else
    boy is my face red
  12. Not Kansas
    Moves
    23 Dec '05 05:34
    I'm telling ya boys, all the fairy tales about "the little people' "mighty men of old" and so forth come from the time your ancestors cohabited the planet with the likes of Neanderthals.
    That's my story and I'm sticking to it.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree