Who's the Daddy?

Who's the Daddy?

Spirituality

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Owner

Scoffer Mocker

Moves
12 Jun 10

Originally posted by twhitehead
It was my understanding that different gospels gave two different lineages. But some Christians can explain away anything. I must note though that only a small minority of Christians believe every word in the Bible is indisputable fact.
"But some Christians can explain away anything."

Not a practice reserved by Christians only.

"I must note though that only a small minority of Christians believe every word in the Bible is indisputable fact."

If it's not then it cannot be relied upon.

Owner

Scoffer Mocker

Moves
12 Jun 10

Originally posted by avalanchethecat
Doesn't it say in the bible that Jesus is descended from Abraham?
Do you have a mother and a father? Doesn't that mean you have two lineages? Isn't it possible that Mary is a descendant of Abraham?

And isn't it possible, if there be a creator, that He can become a man?

Atheists have no imagination!

a
Not actually a cat

The Flat Earth

Moves
12 Jun 10

Originally posted by FreakyKBH
Not sure what you see as an issue.
I was curious how this relates to christianity, but I've been reading about it since this post and I think I got it hangin' now. I guess you get the less comfy clouds but clouds nonetheless.

ka
The Axe man

Brisbane,QLD

Moves
12 Jun 10

Originally posted by josephw
Do you have a mother [b]and a father? Doesn't that mean you have two lineages? Isn't it possible that Mary is a descendant of Abraham?

And isn't it possible, if there be a creator, that He can become a man?

Atheists have no imagination![/b]
And isn't it possible, if there be a creator that It can become a woman?
Perhaps the devil has supressed women to maintain physical dominance over the Earth, hence the male-centric view of history.
(too imaginative?)

F

Unknown Territories

Moves
13 Jun 10

Originally posted by avalanchethecat
I was curious how this relates to christianity, but I've been reading about it since this post and I think I got it hangin' now. I guess you get the less comfy clouds but clouds nonetheless.
There will always be a client nation on the planet... at least, as long as there are governments other than His. That the Jews were the chosen ones is no small surprise: they did nothing to distinguish themselves enough to warrant His attention. He called 'a people' who were not a people prior to their establishment. It's not as though they worked themselves up to an acceptable number and/or energy level in order to attract His attention.

Cape Town

Moves
13 Jun 10

Originally posted by josephw
If it's not then it cannot be relied upon.
And that logic is why 'absolute reliance on authority' is a flawed philosophy. Authority is never perfect.
In your case, there is the problem that:
1. No original copy of the Bible exists.(or rather of each individual book).
2. No translation is ever perfect, and there are multiple translations.
3. Language never conveys a message perfectly.
Yet I am sure you will explain away all the above and accept an imperfect translation of an imperfect copy.

Cape Town

Moves
13 Jun 10

There are two genealogies offered, one for Mary and one for Joseph. The one for Joseph was provided to substantiate the fact that Joseph could not h
So is Wikipedia wrong?
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Genealogy_of_Jesus

Could you tell me which Gospel gives the lineage of Mary and possibly quote the verse highlighting "Mary"?

ka
The Axe man

Brisbane,QLD

Moves
13 Jun 10

There will always be a client nation on the planet... at least, as long as there are governments other than His. That the Jews were the chosen ones is no small surprise: they did nothing to distinguish themselves enough to warrant His attention. He called 'a people' who were not a people prior to their establishment. It's not as though they worked themselves up to an acceptable number and/or energy level in order to attract His attention.
Do you think the same people that form the governments that aren't "His" can change into the people they should become according to "His" will? (serious question this time Freaks)

F

Unknown Territories

Moves
13 Jun 10

Originally posted by karoly aczel
Do you think the same people that form the governments that aren't "His" can change into the people they should become according to "His" will? (serious question this time Freaks)
Rephrase it, if you don't mind. I'm not sure I follow what you're saying here.

F

Unknown Territories

Moves
13 Jun 10

So is Wikipedia wrong?
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Genealogy_of_Jesus

Could you tell me which Gospel gives the lineage of Mary and possibly quote the verse highlighting "Mary"?
Yes and no.
There are websites that go into great and elaborate detail regarding the 'issue.' Additionally, there are many books that devote sufficient amounts of space to the topic.

Cape Town

Moves
13 Jun 10

Yes and no.
There are websites that go into great and elaborate detail regarding the 'issue.' Additionally, there are many books that devote sufficient amounts of space to the topic.
Surely it was a very simple question to answer? Why does it need books etc?
Its quite simple: Is there a verse/verses in the bible that list the genealogy of Mary and if so can you quote it with Mary being highlighted?

F

Unknown Territories

Moves
13 Jun 10

Surely it was a very simple question to answer? Why does it need books etc?
Its quite simple: Is there a verse/verses in the bible that list the genealogy of Mary and if so can you quote it with Mary being highlighted?
You asked two questions, I gave two answers. I then provided a more preferred method of clarifying what you consider to be an issue.

Cape Town

Moves
13 Jun 10

You asked two questions, I gave two answers. I then provided a more preferred method of clarifying what you consider to be an issue.
But I don't have time to read books on the matter when what I want to know would be a very simple one or two line answer.
Either the Bible gives the genealogy or it doesn't. If it does (as you claimed), you should have no problem pointing me to it. If it doesn't give it as a genealogy with Marys name included then just say so.

F

Unknown Territories

Moves
13 Jun 10

But I don't have time to read books on the matter when what I want to know would be a very simple one or two line answer.
Either the Bible gives the genealogy or it doesn't. If it does (as you claimed), you should have no problem pointing me to it. If it doesn't give it as a genealogy with Marys name included then just say so.
Luke gives Mary's lineage.

Cape Town

Moves
14 Jun 10

Luke gives Mary's lineage.
But it doesn't actually say so does it? Why have you found it so hard to answer the question? Its not actually that complicated and doesn't need books to explain.