1. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    23 Jun '14 06:131 edit
    Originally posted by josephw
    But what is its purpose? Brute fact isn't a purpose, just an objective observation of its existence.

Anyone can see the fact that the universe exists. Question is why, and for what reason or purpose?

Life needs a physical place to thrive and grow. That's the purpose for the existence of the material universe. Seems easy enough to see that.
    But if the fate of the universe is to pop down to the size of a peanut, where is all that purpose for life then?

I think, since we know the universe in general could really give a shyte one way or the other about our continued survival, that it is up to US to make that purpose, and if that purpose is to bootstrap human civilization to the status of godhood so we can jump out of this universe and create one more to our liking, then so be it.

The last 2000 years has shown pretty clearly that if there is some kind of god, it has washed its rhetorical hands of us.

You can see what happened already to the dinosaurs, a big rock offed all of them, along with volcanoes and earthquakes, all those forces overwhelmed the entire branch of that life tree.

If the same thing that happened 60 odd million years ago happened today, how much of the human race do you think would survive?

That tells me we live in a dangerous world and it is up to us to save our sorry asses from destruction either by our own hand or by nature gone wild.

So the purpose is up to us to make. Nobody else can be seen coming down to give it to us, WE make the purpose.
  2. Standard memberwolfgang59
    Quiz Master
    RHP Arms
    Moves
    23 Jun '14 06:40
    Originally posted by RJHinds
    I get it. You made your own god that is different from my God.
    That is what all theists do.
  3. Standard memberwolfgang59
    Quiz Master
    RHP Arms
    Moves
    23 Jun '14 06:43
    Anyone can see the fact that the universe exists. Question is why, and for what reason or purpose?

There is a critical step missing from your train of thought.
    Namely;
    "Does the universe have a purpose?"

I could say the purpose of the Universe was to produce me ... vain but possible.

I don't think your vanity is as great but I hope you get my drift ......
  4. Cape Town
    Moves
    23 Jun '14 07:35
    I submit that what exists exists for the purpose of supporting life. And that's all.
    I would like to expand on DeepThoughts comments.
    If the purpose of the universe is for supporting life, and life is only found on planet Earth, then the question is, does a volcano on a planet orbiting around a star in another galaxy which we can never ever see and which will have virtually no impact whatsoever on us have a purpose?
    What about stars that we can see, do their positions have a purpose? Was the bullet cluster put there to teach us about some aspect of physics, or was it put there to look good in a photo, or does it have some other mysterious purpose that in some way will impact life?
    Essentially what I am asking is whether the exact configuration of the rest of the universe has any purpose, or is it purely random? If one of the craters on the far side of the moon was moved an inch to the left, would it matter?
  5. Standard memberSoothfast
    Planet Rain
    Moves
    23 Jun '14 07:58
    I submit that what exists exists for the purpose of supporting life.
    But for what purpose?
  6. Joined
    29 Dec '08
    Moves
    23 Jun '14 09:17
    Originally posted by RJHinds
    I get it. You made your own god that is different from my God.
    You don't understand and that's OK. There is a general lack of interest in what I am posting on this thread. I guess I'm not one of the people josephw is talking about.
  7. Joined
    29 Dec '08
    Moves
    23 Jun '14 09:17
    Originally posted by Soothfast
    But for what purpose?
    Good. Boiled down like it should be.
  8. Subscriber64squaresofpain
    The drunk knight
    Stuck on g1
    Moves
    23 Jun '14 10:021 edit
    Originally posted by wolfgang59
    That is what all theists do.
    Thou shalt hath no other God but Chuck Norris.

I hereby open up the CoCN - the Church of CHUCK NORRIS!

http://outsideperception.files.wordpress.com/2013/03/chuck_norris-jesus.jpg

edit: to stay relevant with the thread... All exists because Chuck Norris allows it
  9. Subscriberjosephw
    Owner
    Scoffer Mocker
    Moves
    23 Jun '14 10:33
    Originally posted by Grampy Bobby
    To resolve the prehistoric angelic conflict in heaven when Lucifer and one third of the angelic creation revolted against God.
    😉
  10. Subscriberjosephw
    Owner
    Scoffer Mocker
    Moves
    23 Jun '14 10:42
    Thank you all for your contributions to this discussion, the merits of which has strengthened my confidence in knowing there is a purpose for the universe we live in.
  11. Joined
    01 Jun '06
    Moves
    23 Jun '14 11:161 edit
    Thank you all for your contributions to this discussion, the merits of which has strengthened my confidence in knowing there is a purpose for the universe we live in.
    Really? How so?
  12. Joined
    29 Dec '08
    Moves
    23 Jun '14 15:38
    Doubtless by now people should be aware that "what does not destroy me makes me stronger" is true. You may look like Monte Python's Black Knight to your opponents, but to God you're looking at a million dollar special place in heaven. Kudos on another successful run at the old windmill if I may mix my allusions.
  13. Joined
    01 Jun '06
    Moves
    23 Jun '14 15:59
    Difficult not to bring a Biblical perspective into it, but let's leave God out of this one. I don't really think God would mind that too much. After all we're not going to solve the riddle here are we?

I submit that what exists exists for the purpose of supporting life. And that's all. The material universe serves no other function than to support life. T ...[text shortened]... .

Can anyone think of any other reason why the universe should exist? I'm open to suggestion.
    I submit that what exists exists for the purpose of supporting life. And that's all. The material universe serves no other function than to support life. That's why it exists.

As others have pointed out, so far as we can tell, live only exists on this one planet, certainly within our own solar system the only life anywhere other than Earth is unlikely to be more than microbial. Seems an awful waste of space if the creation of life is the purpose of the universe.

And what is the purpose of creating life? Why is that so important?

I sort of like the quantum idea that someone more clever than me proposed but that seems to be more of an 'effect' than a 'purpose'.

--- Penguin
  14. Subscriberjosephw
    Owner
    Scoffer Mocker
    Moves
    23 Jun '14 16:48
    Originally posted by JS357
    Doubtless by now people should be aware that "what does not destroy me makes me stronger" is true. You may look like Monte Python's Black Knight to your opponents, but to God you're looking at a million dollar special place in heaven. Kudos on another successful run at the old windmill if I may mix my allusions.
    🙂
  15. Subscriberjosephw
    Owner
    Scoffer Mocker
    Moves
    23 Jun '14 16:551 edit
    Originally posted by Penguin
    I submit that what exists exists for the purpose of supporting life. And that's all. The material universe serves no other function than to support life. That's why it exists.

As others have pointed out, so far as we can tell, live only exists on this one planet, certainly within our own solar system the only life anywhere other than Earth ...[text shortened]... lever than me proposed but that seems to be more of an 'effect' than a 'purpose'.

--- Penguin
    "Seems an awful waste of space..."

Life needs room to grow. Why not limitlessness? Seems like another good reason to believe that the purpose of all that exists is to support life.

Thanks for that addition to the evidence for the purpose of the existence of the universe. 🙂

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree