1. Subscriberjosephw
    Owner
    Scoffer Mocker
    Moves
    23 Jun '14 23:04
    Originally posted by JS357
    Maybe it works both ways:

The purpose of life is to support the material universe. How are we doing?
    That's a reasonable idea.

I once read that it is difficult to discern whether the soil exists to support the plant or vice versa.
  2. Subscriberjosephw
    Owner
    Scoffer Mocker
    Moves
    23 Jun '14 23:08
    Originally posted by twhitehead
    You don't need much of an excuse to keep repeating your conclusion. It doesn't seem to matter to you whether the excuse makes sense.
    What's wrong with the conclusion? The reason I keep repeating it is because it doesn't seem to be sinking in.

Matter supports life. Do you have anything to say concerning that assertion? Do you believe it or not? Do you have an alternative conclusion concerning the relationship between life and raw matter other than that matter exists for the purpose of supporting life?
  3. Joined
    29 Dec '08
    Moves
    24 Jun '14 00:417 edits
    Originally posted by josephw
    That's a reasonable idea.

I once read that it is difficult to discern whether the soil exists to support the plant or vice versa.
    On Admiralty Island there are about 1600 bears (there are no resident humans.)

The salmon come to spawn, the bears eat them, the bears do what they do in the woods, the rain falls, the soil fills with nutrients, the plants thrive, as do bugs, birds, little critters. The locality is a net contributor of oxygen to the atmosphere, helping humans everywhere. The soil is an active beneficiary and contributor.

Except when a la nina delayed the salmon due to temperature. The bears almost starved, the soil almost starved, the eagles almost starved, etc.

Maybe it's not important to discern whether...etc.

The material world is indifferent as to whether life thrives. Generally in the vast expanse of the universe, life doesn't, and in the long run, it theoretically doesn't anywhere.
  4. Joined
    01 Jun '06
    Moves
    24 Jun '14 10:18
    Originally posted by josephw
    But that vacuum exists for a reason. It's all part of the purpose.
    Methinks this would be a good site for you to visit:
    http://www.businessinsider.com/cognitive-biases-2014-6?op=1

Here's one that I think may be occurring in your noggin:

Observer-expectancy effect

A cousin of confirmation bias, here our expectations unconsciously influence how we perceive an outcome. Researchers looking for a certain result in an experiment, for example, may inadvertently manipulate or interpret the results to reveal their expectations. That's why the "double-blind" experimental design was created for the field of scientific research.

Read more: http://www.businessinsider.com/cognitive-biases-2014-6?op=1#ixzz35YBlIb3T

Obviously I acknowledge that we can all suffer from these, skeptics included.

--- Penguin
  5. Standard memberGrampy Bobby
    Boston Lad
    USA
    Moves
    24 Jun '14 11:16
    Originally posted by JS357
    On Admiralty Island there are about 1600 bears (there are no resident humans.)

The salmon come to spawn, the bears eat them, the bears do what they do in the woods, the rain falls, the soil fills with nutrients, the plants thrive, as do bugs, birds, little critters. The locality is a net contributor of oxygen to the atmosphere, helping humans everywhere. Th ...[text shortened]... t expanse of the universe, life doesn't, and in the long run, it theoretically doesn't anywhere.
    Jesus Christ holds the universe together by "the word of His power" on Admiralty Island as well: "And He is the radiance of His glory and the exact representation of His nature, and upholds all things by the word of His power. When He had made purification of sins, He sat down at the right hand of the Majesty on high..." Hebrews 1:3 New American Standard Bible
  6. Standard memberGrampy Bobby
    Boston Lad
    USA
    Moves
    24 Jun '14 11:21
    Originally posted by Penguin
    Methinks this would be a good site for you to visit:
    http://www.businessinsider.com/cognitive-biases-2014-6?op=1

Here's one that I think may be occurring in your noggin:

Observer-expectancy effect

A cousin of confirmation bias, here our expectations unconsciously influence how we perceive an outcome. Researchers looking for a certain ...[text shortened]...

Obviously I acknowledge that we can all suffer from these, skeptics included.

--- Penguin
    Skepticism as a component of rationalism is often underrated: by definition it's an indication a search for facts is in progress.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree