1. Standard memberavalanchethecat
    Not actually a cat
    The Flat Earth
    Moves
    28 Jan '14 17:19
    Originally posted by Grampy Bobby
    Hi, where you been hiding? I'll resist the temptation to suggest under an vlnch... lol To your question: one reason and one motive. As I've replied to similar questions from other articulate contributors to this forum for several months, I'm ignorant on the topic of 'atheism' and would like to correct the deficiency. Motive: to hopefully restore civilit ...[text shortened]... t, LemonJello and Duchess64). I care about critical questions and crucial issues, not pettiness.
    Well best of luck with that. I've come around to thinking that there's something fundamentally different in the outlook of the theist and the atheist. I'm not sure either can truly understand the position of the other. I work with a devout christian, with whom I get along very well indeed, and we've rattled on and on at each other for ever. With the same givens, we reach different conclusions, and can only disagree on the subject! Makes for interesting lunch breaks, but I'm no nearer an understanding than I ever was.
  2. Standard memberSwissGambit
    Caninus Interruptus
    Moves
    28 Jan '14 18:53
    Originally posted by FreakyKBH
    And yet the atheists stick around for the sport.
    Who knows; maybe someone of their caliber will appear again someday.
  3. Standard memberGrampy Bobby
    Boston Lad
    USA
    Moves
    28 Jan '14 19:20
    Originally posted by SwissGambit
    8. Atheists are pissed off because the forum lost good intellectual theists like halitose, huntingbear, and epiphineas, and ended up with RJHinds. 😠
    "Why Are Atheists So Angry?"

9. Atheists may become angry in the face of extreme disappointment and loss, adversity and disaster over the stern fact of their unwelcome and dysfunctional solitary status: bereft of stabilizing spiritual principles or an omniscient and omnipotent supernatural being to look to for deliverance. Curiously, this very vacuum leads to a mindset which is uncertain and reactive and fearful... and, unknowingly, angry with God Himself for having creating a world in which they are now unable to cope.
  4. Standard memberGrampy Bobby
    Boston Lad
    USA
    Moves
    28 Jan '14 19:23
    Originally posted by avalanchethecat
    Well best of luck with that. I've come around to thinking that there's something fundamentally different in the outlook of the theist and the atheist. I'm not sure either can truly understand the position of the other. I work with a devout christian, with whom I get along very well indeed, and we've rattled on and on at each other for ever. With the ...[text shortened]... subject! Makes for interesting lunch breaks, but I'm no nearer an understanding than I ever was.
    "... but I'm no nearer an understanding than I ever was."

I'd be interested in any particular "givens" on which the two of you "reach different conclusions"?
  5. Joined
    01 Jun '06
    Moves
    28 Jan '14 20:211 edit

9. Atheists may become angry in the face of extreme disappointment and loss, adversity and disaster over the stern fact of their unwelcome and dysfunctional solitary status: bereft of stabilizing spiritual principles or an omniscient and omnipotent supernatural being to look to for deliverance. Curiously, this very vacuu ...[text shortened]... wingly, angry with God Himself for having creating a world in which they are now unable to cope.
    Its interesting that you are suggesting these reasons why we are angry instead of engaging with the reasons that we are actually telling you are making us angry. Again you are telling us what we believe instead of listening to us. You are telling us that we secretly do believe in God when we have told you time and time again that that suggestion is nonsensical. It is like me telling you that you are Christian because you are angry at Zeus! Of course you are not angry at Zeus. You give no thought whatsoever to Zeus because you simply lack any belief in the existence of Zeus and it is impossible to be angry at something that you don't believe in.

One thing that does really annoy atheists is telling them that really they do believe, deep down. It tells us that you are not listening to a single word we say.

Penguin
  6. Unknown Territories
    Moves
    28 Jan '14 20:28
    8. Atheists are pissed off because the forum lost good intellectual theists like halitose, huntingbear, and epiphineas, and ended up with RJHinds. 😠
    huntingbear last moved 3142 days ago.
    huntingbear last post June 21, 2005.

Halitose last moved 2169 days ago.
    Halitose last post February 21, 2007.

SwissGambit joined April 13, 2007... or one year, nine months after huntingbear posted for the last time; 51 days following Halitose's final posting.

SwissGambit thought so highly of epiphinehas as a "good intellectual theist," he declares, "What a depressing world view you have."

Huh.
  7. SubscriberSuzianne
    Misfit Queen
    Isle of Misfit Toys
    Moves
    28 Jan '14 20:36
    And yet the atheists stick around for the sport.
    So do a lot of us, my friend. 🙂
  8. Standard memberGrampy Bobby
    Boston Lad
    USA
    Moves
    28 Jan '14 21:07
    Originally posted by Penguin
    Its interesting that you are suggesting these reasons why we are angry instead of engaging with the reasons that we are actually telling you are making us angry. Again you are telling us what we believe instead of listening to us. You are telling us that we secretly [b]do believe in God when we have told you time and time again that that suggestion is no ...[text shortened]... o believe, deep down. It tells us that you are not listening to a single word we say.

Penguin[/b]
    Originally posted by Rank outsider
    What proportion, roughly, of those that remain atheists would you say feel they live in self-induced misery?

Of the dozens over a lifetime, many I've lost touch with as the labyrinthian pathways of career and relocations engulfed us and displaced the window of frequent contact we once shared. The memory of those who became Christians is still fragrant; and, yes, I still remember many of those who were still wrestling with their objections and frustrations in prayer at odd times of the night or day. One especially articulate and troubled younger man in Massachusetts, Evelyn's oldest son, I learned a year ago had overdosed on a combination of substances. Concerns over the eternal destiny of the souls of several highly intelligent and still doubting site members who have been given accurate gospel information I've placed in God's Hands.

9. Atheists may become angry in the face of extreme disappointment and loss, adversity and disaster over the stern fact of their unwelcome and dysfunctional solitary status: bereft of stabilizing spiritual principles or an omniscient and omnipotent supernatural being to look to for deliverance. Curiously, this very vacuum leads to a mindset which is uncertain and reactive and fearful... and, unknowingly, angry with God Himself for having creating a world in which they are now unable to cope.

Its interesting that you are suggesting these reasons why we are angry instead of engaging with the reasons that we are actually telling you are making us angry. Again you are telling us what we believe instead of listening to us. You are telling us that we secretly do believe in God when we have told you time and time again that that suggestion is nonsensical. It is like me telling you that you are Christian because you are angry at Zeus! Of course you are not angry at Zeus. You give no thought whatsoever to Zeus because you simply lack any belief in the existence of Zeus and it is impossible to be angry at something that you don't believe in.

One thing that does really annoy atheists is telling them that really they do believe, deep down. It tells us that you are not listening to a single word we say.

Penguin

Penguin, I'm attempting to relate decades of casual observation (which have included atheist behaviour on this site's public forums since July, 2007) to Rabbi Wolpe's deliberative findings and your comments. And, yes, I'm keenly listening to your words. The "deep down" beliefs of atheists inform their public communications as much as my belief in Christ informs mine.
  9. Joined
    01 Jun '06
    Moves
    28 Jan '14 21:141 edit
    Penguin, I'm attempting to relate decades of casual observation (which have included atheist behaviour on this site's public forums since July, 2007) to Rabbi Wolpe's deliberative findings and your comments. And, yes, I'm keenly listening to your words. The "deep down" beliefs of atheists inform their public communications as much as my belief in Christ informs mine.
    Well then please stop telling us what we believe and instead ask us and engage with the answers that we give. That way we will have a lot more respect for you and be more likely to give you considered answers.

[edit]That sounds harsher than it is meant to be, I do appreciate your efforts.[/edit]

Penguin.
  10. Standard memberGrampy Bobby
    Boston Lad
    USA
    Moves
    28 Jan '14 21:46
    Well then please stop telling us what we believe and instead ask us and engage with the answers that we give. That way we will have a lot more respect for you and be more likely to give you considered answers.

[edit]That sounds harsher than it is meant to be, I do appreciate your efforts.[/edit]

Penguin.
    Neither you nor I have the least interest in superficial words or frivolous conversation in this forum; I believe we both appreciate John Locke's sententious remark: "We arrive at the truth through the honest disagreement among friends".
  11. Standard memberSwissGambit
    Caninus Interruptus
    Moves
    29 Jan '14 02:55
    huntingbear last moved 3142 days ago.
    huntingbear last post June 21, 2005.

Halitose last moved 2169 days ago.
    Halitose last post February 21, 2007.

SwissGambit joined April 13, 2007... or one year, nine months after huntingbear posted for the last time; 51 days following Halitose's final posting.

SwissGambit thought so highly of epiphinehas as a "good intellectual theist," he declares, "What a depressing world view you have."

Huh.
    I was BigDoggProblem before.

A depressing worldview is compatible with intellectualism. Also, I reserve the right to criticize even the viewpoints of people I respect. There is no such thing as a person who is immune from criticism in my mind (same goes if any who respect me should disagree with what I say).

(Frankly, I don't know why LJ keeps saying you have an intellect. I just see a guy with an above-average vocabulary who is far less lucid than he thinks he is. And lately, just enjoys playing dumb in thread after thread for kicks. Blah.)
  12. Standard memberGrampy Bobby
    Boston Lad
    USA
    Moves
    29 Jan '14 06:291 edit

9. Atheists may become angry in the face of extreme disappointment and loss, adversity and disaster over the stern fact of their unwelcome and dysfunctional solitary status: bereft of stabilizing spiritual principles or an omniscient and omnipotent supernatural being to look to for deliverance. Curiously, this very vacuu ...[text shortened]... wingly, angry with God Himself for having creating a world in which they are now unable to cope.

10. Atheists are angry with the unreasonable expectation and crass insensitivity of anyone presuming to pressure them into belief in God-- especially to believing in the Person of the Risen Christ. Why? It's naively intrusive for starters. This scenario represents the equivalent of asking a person wearing a wet suit and life jacket at the end of a deep water ocean pier to strip naked and then plunge head first into the unknown waters below. Would that same person disavow faith in Christ if asked to do so by an atheist? Hell, no! Change of mind is an individualized process which may include any of several steps: curiosity plus doubt plus positive interest in learning more about this thing called "God's Grace Gift" plus positive volition toward the information once its been academically received and assimilated. Salvation through faith in Christ then becomes a reality.
  13. Joined
    01 Jun '06
    Moves
    29 Jan '14 12:54

10. Atheists are angry with the unreasonable expectation and crass insensitivity of anyone presuming to pressure them into belief in God-- especially to believing in the Person of the Risen Christ. Why? It's naively intrusive for starters. This scenario represents the equivalent of asking a person wearing a wet suit and ...[text shortened]... academically received and assimilated. Salvation through faith in Christ then becomes a reality.
    Now here, you are getting somewhere.
    10. Atheists are angry with the unreasonable expectation and crass insensitivity of anyone presuming to pressure them into belief in God-- especially to believing in the Person of the Risen Christ. Why? It's naively intrusive for starters.

Apart from the fact that we are not any more annoyed at being asked to believe in Christ than in any other deity. It is only because Christ is 'the fashion' at the moment that we have any focus on Christianity at all.
    This scenario represents the equivalent of asking a person wearing a wet suit and life jacket at the end of a deep water ocean pier to strip naked and then plunge head first into the unknown waters below.

I can't quite follow the meaning of this analogy to make any comment on it.
    Would that same person disavow faith in Christ if asked to do so by an atheist? Hell, no! Change of mind is an individualized process which may include any of several steps: ...

I assume you are talking about the theist here, but you are quite right, if the theist is adamant that nothing will change his mind, why should he expect otherwise of the atheist?
    Salvation through faith in Christ then becomes a reality.

That is obviously a matter of opinion with which atheists would tend to disagree.

Penguin.
  14. Unknown Territories
    Moves
    29 Jan '14 14:13

A depressing worldview is compatible with intellectualism. Also, I reserve the right to criticize even the viewpoints of people I respect. There is no such thing as a person who is immune from criticism in my mind (same goes if any who respect me should disagree with what I say).

(Frankly, I don't know why LJ keeps sayi ...[text shortened]... n he thinks he is. And lately, just enjoys playing dumb in thread after thread for kicks. Blah.)
    Now it makes sense.

A depressing worldview is compatible with intellectualism.
    Perhaps, but you didn't sound overly complimentary in the saying of it.

Also, I reserve the right to criticize even the viewpoints of people I respect. There is no such thing as a person who is immune from criticism in my mind (same goes if any who respect me should disagree with what I say).
    I wholeheartedly agree and encourage objective content-based criticism on all sides of any issue.

Frankly, I don't know why LJ keeps saying you have an intellect.
    LJ is merely being kind.
    Besides, for every one time he throws that scrap my way, I get three or four smacks from a rolled up newspaper and some growling about poor reading comprehension.

I just see a guy with an above-average vocabulary who is far less lucid than he thinks he is.
    I have no illusions regarding my lucidity.
    In fact, I think it is due to my lack of precision and limited vocabulary which render some of the points I try to make far too vague.
    It is always my intention to measure twice and cut once, but even after three or four measures--- when I am certain there is no way the point could be misconstrued by the reader--- the cut I make is revealed wanting.

And lately, just enjoys playing dumb in thread after thread for kicks. Blah.)
    Often times the seemingly dumb position is really a matter of being over thought and therefore missing the point (for instance, the more recent discussion on why morality is needed at all).
  15. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    29 Jan '14 14:52
    [b]I was BigDoggProblem before.
    Now it makes sense.

A depressing worldview is compatible with intellectualism.
    Perhaps, but you didn't sound overly complimentary in the saying of it.

Also, I reserve the right to criticize even the viewpoints of people I respect. There is no such thing as a person who is immune from criticism in my min ...[text shortened]... e missing the point (for instance, the more recent discussion on why morality is needed at all).
    I think this is the wrong question, Why are atheists so angry.

I think it should be Why are atheists so happy?

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree