1. Standard memberwolfgang59
    Quiz Master
    RHP Arms
    Moves
    29 Jan '14 18:28
    http://www.telegraph.co.uk/travel/picturegalleries/10302485/The-worlds-happiest-countries.html?frame=2667866

Try correlating the above top ten to atheism in those countries.
  2. Unknown Territories
    Moves
    29 Jan '14 20:45
    Originally posted by sonhouse
    Well, I think all the gods people worship by the billions are 100% man made.

I'll leave it at that.

I also think a lot of theists suffer angst and have lots of hand wringing over whether they are doing good enough to get in to their imagined heaven.

THAT atheists don't do.
    I also think a lot of theists suffer angst and have lots of hand wringing over whether they are doing good enough to get in to their imagined heaven.
    You have me there!
  3. Unknown Territories
    Moves
    29 Jan '14 20:49
    Originally posted by PsychoPawn
    [b]I'm here waaaay more than you and have not seen this ranting and raving you speak of.

Good for you! I have seen it.

Studies have conclusively shown how religious people are more happy than atheists.

Well, studies aren't always conclusive and there are also many variables.

Moreover, an atheist is committed to certain conclusi ...[text shortened]... ind more than enough things for me to be happy that have nothing to do with religion or any god.
    Good for you! I have seen it.
    I'm glad you're observant.
    Since you've claimed to have seen it, and are now claiming again to have seen it, it ought not be too difficult to offer some actual evidence of the ranting and raving.

Agreed.
    But when they constantly are pointing to the same conclusion, I'd say they might be on to something.

Do you have any actual facts to backup that statement? From what I can tell you took it directly from your anus. What are these conditions that are necessary for overall well-being?
    According to one of your own, who is far more advanced, intellectually than anyone on this website:

"The secret to happiness is to face the fact that the world is horrible."-Bertrand Russell
  4. Joined
    06 May '05
    Moves
    29 Jan '14 21:08
    Originally posted by FreakyKBH
    [b]Good for you! I have seen it.
    I'm glad you're observant.
    Since you've claimed to have seen it, and are now claiming again to have seen it, it ought not be too difficult to offer some actual evidence of the ranting and raving.

Agreed.
    But when they constantly are ...[text shortened]... i]"The secret to happiness is to face the fact that the world is horrible."[/i]-Bertrand Russell[/b]

Perhaps it wouldn't be too hard, but I'm not willing to take the time to go search for it and post it honestly so I don't care if you don't take my word for it.

Perhaps ranting and raving is a bit of hyperbole (as it is when referencing atheists too, I think), but there definitely are numerous posts on this forum talking about how foolish it is to not believe. Again, you don't have to take my word for it, I'll agree to disagree with you.

But when they constantly are pointing to the same conclusion, I'd say they might be on to something.

Constantly? Maybe you can actually provide the studies then? Also it depends on the variables etc... so far your claim is as good as the paper it's written on.

According to one of your own, who is far more advanced, intellectually than anyone on this website

That quote doesn't actually substantiate your claim. Bertrand Russel may be smarter than you or I, but that doesn't mean simply quoting him is somehow proof of anything.
  5. SubscriberSuzianne
    Misfit Queen
    Isle of Misfit Toys
    Moves
    29 Jan '14 21:26
    Originally posted by wolfgang59
    http://www.telegraph.co.uk/travel/picturegalleries/10302485/The-worlds-happiest-countries.html?frame=2667866

Try correlating the above top ten to atheism in those countries.
    I think the main thing to consider is not whether these countries are happy because they are atheist, but rather because they lean to the left, politically, and are therefore relatively free of the shenanigans imposed on the people by the political right.
  6. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    29 Jan '14 21:55
    Originally posted by Suzianne
    I think the main thing to consider is not whether these countries are happy because they are atheist, but rather because they lean to the left, politically, and are therefore relatively free of the shenanigans imposed on the people by the political right.
    Well, the images shows they really love colors on their buildings🙂 That has to be a good sign right there. Look at the colors of American buildings.... Drab affairs compared to all of those pictures.

Also, you don't find ANYTHING American in that list. That is saying something.

We are supposed to be the greatest country in the world (Not MY opinion, just mouthing what I hear around here) but there are so many problems here, I would LOVE to move to ANY one of those countries listed. Been to a few of them too, I recognized Copenhagen right off because I walk down that exact street.

Little story: When we were coming back from a long gig in Israel, we stopped in Copenhagen for a few days. One kid (Kevin) had graduated from HS in Jerusalem, we gave him a thousand bucks and a Europass and he was having a ball going all over Europe. So we just had the twins with us in Copenhagen, two 6 year olds.

So we went to Tivoli Gardens, a magical place! It was crowded with hundreds of people. So many in fact, that one of the twins got separated from us.

So we are frantically running around the exhibits trying to find him.

Then we noticed this giant, and I do mean giant, guy way over 2 meters tall, with a kid on his shoulder, who was eating an ice cream cone.

Well it was little Andrew, our lost twin! It was really funny, the guy carrying him around, probably knowing the kid would be bobbing up and down like a yo yo and it was very easy to spot Andrew there, he was happily jawing down that ice cream cone, not a care in the world! So we soon caught up with the two and the giant put down Andrew and we were on our way.

You couldn't make that kind of thing up, you would think it was some kind of movie stunt or something it was so funny afterwards!

So I think Copenhagen well deserves to be on that list! And the cafe's there, superb! We made friends with the boat people, it was great. Would love to have had a house boat like those folk there, growing pot plants right out on the deck🙂 You could have something like 5 or so pot plants legally on the houseboats because they were not on land, kind of screwy but that's the law!
  7. Standard memberRJHinds
    The Near Genius
    Fort Gordon
    Moves
    29 Jan '14 22:20
    Well, the images shows they really love colors on their buildings🙂 That has to be a good sign right there. Look at the colors of American buildings.... Drab affairs compared to all of those pictures.

We are supposed to be the greatest country in the world (Not MY opinion, ...[text shortened]... ants legally on the houseboats because they were not on land, kind of screwy but that's the law!
    I am glad to hear that you consider yourself happy. I thought you where a miserably sad and angry old man. Thank the LORD for one miracle.
    HalleluYah !!! Praise the LORD! Holy! Holy! Holy!
  8. Unknown Territories
    Moves
    29 Jan '14 22:58
    Originally posted by PsychoPawn
    [b]Since you've claimed to have seen it, and are now claiming again to have seen it, it ought not be too difficult to offer some actual evidence of the ranting and raving.

Perhaps it wouldn't be too hard, but I'm not willing to take the time to go search for it and post it honestly so I don't care if you don't take my word for it.

Perhaps ranti ...[text shortened]... be smarter than you or I, but that doesn't mean simply quoting him is somehow proof of anything.[/b]
    Ah, I see.
    So you're willing to make the charge, but you're not willing to actually back it up.
    I'd say that's a claim that has been negated until further evidence shows otherwise.

Constantly? Maybe you can actually provide the studies then? Also it depends on the variables etc... so far your claim is as good as the paper it's written on.
    If you'd like some internet support for the concept, simply type the following into the search engine of your choice:

"studies showing the benefits of religion"

That ought to convince you.

That quote doesn't actually substantiate your claim. Bertrand Russel may be smarter than you or I, but that doesn't mean simply quoting him is somehow proof of anything.
    Well, it's proof of something, namely that the most intellectually advanced person an atheist can point to, the most referenced atheist who has been quoted on at least this site, came to the conclusion that agrees with the theistic standpoint, i.e., the sum total of the atheistic position is that life sucks.
  9. SubscriberSuzianne
    Misfit Queen
    Isle of Misfit Toys
    Moves
    29 Jan '14 23:02

We are supposed to be the greatest country in the world (Not MY opinion, ...[text shortened]... ants legally on the houseboats because they were not on land, kind of screwy but that's the law!
    That's hilarious about the lost twin.

I'd love to go anywhere in Scandinavia, actually, and see firsthand what living in a real working liberal society is like. The only real reason why the same would not work here is that WAY too many people are WAY too uptight... about a lot of things.
  10. Joined
    16 Jan '07
    Moves
    29 Jan '14 23:06
    That's hilarious about the lost twin.

I'd love to go anywhere in Scandinavia, actually, and see firsthand what living in a real working liberal society is like. The only real reason why the same would not work here is that WAY too many people are WAY too uptight... about a lot of things.
    "Constantly? Maybe you can actually provide the studies then? Also it depends on the variables etc... so far your claim is as good as the paper it's written on.
    If you'd like some internet support for the concept, simply type the following into the search engine of your choice:

"studies showing the benefits of religion""

nice to see you are using the most stringent and scientific methods to back up your assertions.
  11. SubscriberSuzianne
    Misfit Queen
    Isle of Misfit Toys
    Moves
    29 Jan '14 23:49
    Originally posted by stellspalfie
    [b]"Constantly? Maybe you can actually provide the studies then? Also it depends on the variables etc... so far your claim is as good as the paper it's written on.

"studies showing the benefits of religion""

nice to see you are using the most stringent and scientific methods to back up your assertions.[/b]
    You're not really talking to me here, are you?

Careful with whom you are quoting. 🙂
  12. Joined
    24 Apr '05
    Moves
    29 Jan '14 23:551 edit
    Originally posted by FreakyKBH
    [b]I've seen about as much ranting and raving about how atheists are stupid for not believing.
    I'm here waaaay more than you and have not seen this ranting and raving you speak of.

I don't think being an atheist or being a theist necessarily makes anyone happier.
    Studies have conclusively shown how religious people are more happy than athe ...[text shortened]... ious.[/b]
    There are a few things, I agree.
    But not many things, and certainly not most things.[/b]
    Studies have conclusively shown how religious people are more happy than atheists.

Such as? Please provide a list of those studies.

Moreover, an atheist is committed to certain conclusions which--- when seen as a whole--- contradict conditions necessary for overall well-being.

Such as? Please explicitly list those conclusions.
  13. Standard memberSwissGambit
    Caninus Interruptus
    Moves
    30 Jan '14 00:02
    I think atheists are totally happy with their existence, not having to worry about gods and devils around every corner, nook and cranny like theists do, well some theists anyway.

Theists think you cannot live your life without referring to a god all the time.

Atheists don't have to carry so much emotional and intellectual luggage.

They just live th ...[text shortened]... theist.

Theists are the ones causing all the problems with Atheists, not the other way round.
    I know I have been happier as an atheist. No more pressure to 'save souls', no more fear of myself or those I care about going to hell.

Being a Christian put me in an intellectual straight-jacket. I could read some books, but not if the author was too anti-Christian or liberal; I could listen to some music, but not if there was too much swearing, or it was too "Satanic" or pagan or what-not. I could watch some TV shows and movies, but not ones with too much swearing or nudity (curiously, violence is fine). I could discuss some issues, but not if I was making a point that sounded too out-of-tune with doctrinal orthodoxy or societal orthodoxy.

And sure, once you get the freedom to explore all the things that were off-limits before, you find that there are good reasons that some of it is considered distasteful. But I want to be the one who decides that.
  14. Standard memberGrampy Bobby
    Boston Lad
    USA
    Moves
    30 Jan '14 00:271 edit
    Originally posted by SwissGambit
    I know I have been happier as an atheist. No more pressure to 'save souls', no more fear of myself or those I care about going to hell.

Being a Christian put me in an intellectual straight-jacket. I could read some books, but not if the author was too anti-Christian or liberal; I could listen to some music, but not if there was too much ...[text shortened]... od reasons that some of it is considered distasteful. But I want to be the one who decides that.
    SG, speaking of "books" I always enjoy atheist quotations. Here are a few you particularly may enjoy: "Theist and atheist: the fight between them is as to whether God shall be called God or shall have some other name." -Samuel Butler; "It's surprising to me how many of my friends send Christmas cards, or holiday cards, including my atheist and secular friends." -Christopher Hitchens; "The worst moment for the atheist is when he is really thankful and has nobody to thank." -Dante Gabriel Rossetti; "Thank God I'm an atheist." -Luis Bunuel; "By night an atheist half believes in a God." -Edward Young
  15. Joined
    16 Jan '07
    Moves
    30 Jan '14 00:52
    You're not really talking to me here, are you?

Careful with whom you are quoting. 🙂
    lets just pretend i am to cover any embarrassment on my part.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree