1. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    29 Jan '14 14:55
    I think atheists are totally happy with their existence, not having to worry about gods and devils around every corner, nook and cranny like theists do, well some theists anyway.

Theists think you cannot live your life without referring to a god all the time.

Atheists don't have to carry so much emotional and intellectual luggage.

They just live their lives and do as much good as any theist.

Theists are the ones causing all the problems with Atheists, not the other way round.
  2. SubscriberSuzianne
    Misfit Queen
    Isle of Misfit Toys
    Moves
    29 Jan '14 15:14
    Originally posted by sonhouse
    I think atheists are totally happy with their existence, not having to worry about gods and devils around every corner, nook and cranny like theists do, well some theists anyway.

Theists think you cannot live your life without referring to a god all the time.

Atheists don't have to carry so much emotional and intellectual luggage.

They just live th ...[text shortened]... theist.

Theists are the ones causing all the problems with Atheists, not the other way round.
    Are you also including all the ranting and raving about how theists are stupid for believing? Yeah, that sounds happy.
  3. Standard memberRBHILL
    Acts 13:48
    California
    Moves
    29 Jan '14 15:22
    Originally posted by Suzianne
    Are you also including all the ranting and raving about how theists are stupid for believing? Yeah, that sounds happy.
    You already got a thumbs down well obviously it's from the one who started this thread.
  4. Joined
    06 May '05
    Moves
    29 Jan '14 15:32
    Originally posted by Suzianne
    I've seen about as much ranting and raving about how atheists are stupid for not believing.

I don't think being an atheist or being a theist necessarily makes anyone happier. There is plenty in this world to be happy about that has nothing to do with anything religious.
  5. Joined
    10 May '07
    Moves
    29 Jan '14 15:411 edit
    Originally posted by PsychoPawn
    I've seen about as much ranting and raving about how atheists are stupid for not believing.

I don't think being an atheist or being a theist necessarily makes anyone happier. There is plenty in this world to be happy about that has nothing to do with anything religious.
    I agree - I think life can be lived and appreciated regardless of religion. As you say, there is so much to be happy about, and we don't always have to consider why things happen or the reason for us being here. We are here now, at the same time.
  6. Unknown Territories
    Moves
    29 Jan '14 16:27
    Originally posted by PsychoPawn

I'm here waaaay more than you and have not seen this ranting and raving you speak of.

I don't think being an atheist or being a theist necessarily makes anyone happier.
    Studies have conclusively shown how religious people are more happy than atheists.
    Moreover, an atheist is committed to certain conclusions which--- when seen as a whole--- contradict conditions necessary for overall well-being.

There is plenty in this world to be happy about that has nothing to do with anything religious.
    There are a few things, I agree.
    But not many things, and certainly not most things.
  7. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    29 Jan '14 16:381 edit
    Originally posted by FreakyKBH
    [b]I've seen about as much ranting and raving about how atheists are stupid for not believing.
    I'm here waaaay more than you and have not seen this ranting and raving you speak of.

I don't think being an atheist or being a theist necessarily makes anyone happier.
    Studies have conclusively shown how religious people are more happy than athe ...[text shortened]... ious.[/b]
    But not many things, and certainly not most things.[/b]
    Well, I think all the gods people worship by the billions are 100% man made.

I'll leave it at that.

I also think a lot of theists suffer angst and have lots of hand wringing over whether they are doing good enough to get in to their imagined heaven.

THAT atheists don't do.
  8. Joined
    06 May '05
    Moves
    29 Jan '14 16:41
    [b]I've seen about as much ranting and raving about how atheists are stupid for not believing.

Studies have conclusively shown how religious people are more happy than athe ...[text shortened]... ious.[/b]

Good for you! I have seen it.

Studies have conclusively shown how religious people are more happy than atheists.

Well, studies aren't always conclusive and there are also many variables.

Moreover, an atheist is committed to certain conclusions which--- when seen as a whole--- contradict conditions necessary for overall well-being.

Do you have any actual facts to backup that statement? From what I can tell you took it directly from your anus. What are these conditions that are necessary for overall well-being?

What are the conclusions that ALL atheists are committed to that contradict those?

But not many things, and certainly not most things.

Well, I disagree. I am an atheist and I find more than enough things for me to be happy that have nothing to do with religion or any god.
  9. Joined
    16 Jan '07
    Moves
    29 Jan '14 16:59

so you say theists are happier, then go on to say that there are not many things to be happy about?????

i also doubt very much that there is any real proof of who is happier. its almost an impossible thing to accurately record and study.
  10. Joined
    06 May '05
    Moves
    29 Jan '14 17:051 edit
    Originally posted by stellspalfie

i also doubt very much that there is any real proof of who is happier. its almost an impossible thing to accurately record and study.
    There have been a couple studies that have shown a correlation between people going to church regularly against people who don't - but that doesn't narrow down the variables.

We are a social species and church is and can be a very social activity. I don't dispute that regular social activity is healthy and would tend to lead to more happiness. I haven't seen or heard of any studies that have specifically narrowed down the variables further such that it would actually be definitive to show that theists are happier. In any case, you'd have to do multiple studies to truly prove such a proposition.
  11. Joined
    04 Feb '05
    Moves
    29 Jan '14 17:23
    Well, I think all the gods people worship by the billions are 100% man made.

I'll leave it at that.

I also think a lot of theists suffer angst and have lots of hand wringing over whether they are doing good enough to get in to their imagined heaven.

THAT atheists don't do.
    so you believe atheists don't have existential problems?
  12. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    29 Jan '14 17:272 edits
    Originally posted by Zahlanzi
    so you believe atheists don't have existential problems?
    Compared to the spiritual baggage of most theists? Don't think so. Of course I don't know too many atheists personally but I don't see why they should have much in the way of spiritual angst.

Of course the weight of the world will get anyone sometimes but why would you think Atheists would have a greater level of 'existential' problems?

I assume you would be referring to the idea that a religious person thinks he or she has if made, will go to heaven therefore won't be as anxious as an atheist.

But the bottom line in religion is this: You have ZERO way of proving the existence of god, a god, gods in general since these alleged beings don't interact with humans.

The bible may SUGGEST otherwise but a real god can just as easily go, "ok humans, hear is how it is''....to each and every human on the planet in their home language.

Don't see that happening, and of course that concept has been gone over a few thousand times and theists think they have a ready answer but they really don't. They are fooling themselves. Of course for some people, without that fooling, that being duped, THEY would definitely have existential problems, having weak minds in the first place.

So there are millions of people who make a comfortable living making out like they are the conduit to a god and the weak minded people follow them, swallow the BS hook line and sinker.
  13. Joined
    04 Feb '05
    Moves
    29 Jan '14 17:35
    Compared to the spiritual baggage of most theists? Don't think so. Of course I don't know too many atheists personally but I don't see why they should have much in the way of spiritual angst.

Of course the weight of the world will get anyone sometimes but why would you think Atheists would have a greater level of 'existential' problems?

I assume you ...[text shortened]... ng duped, THEY would definitely have existential problems, having weak minds in the first place.
    the subject of this thread is the happiness of a certain group. never said that atheists have more or less problems with dealing with existential angst.

so each group has ways of dealing with said angst. yet you, just as rjhinds or the carrobie, angst over how the others are dealing with crap.

do you understand that each lives their own lives, and if one is happy, why would it matter which group you belong to?
  14. Standard memberavalanchethecat
    Not actually a cat
    The Flat Earth
    Moves
    29 Jan '14 18:23

Actually most studies of this kind show that buddhists are the happiest people. They're atheists you know.

I disagree with other points you make, but this one is the easiest to argue!
  15. Standard memberRJHinds
    The Near Genius
    Fort Gordon
    Moves
    29 Jan '14 18:25

I assume you ...[text shortened]... he conduit to a god and the weak minded people follow them, swallow the BS hook line and sinker.
    Is this your way of proving ignorance is bliss?

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree